Windows 10 and Bash on Ubuntu

Petteri Soininen
Hi,

Windows 10 introduced an Ubuntu Bash shell, so I'm interested if anyone
has compiled GIMP using that environment. I tried, but I'm just a newbie
and got into problems where gegl didn't see babl etc. so my environment
variable settings were probably either wrong or not effective or I just
messed up something. This is not important as I can still build
everything on Msys2, but I'd like to know if anyone has already done it?

- Petteri Soininen

Re: Windows 10 and Bash on Ubuntu

Michael Schumacher

On 02/02/2017 08:05 PM, Petteri Soininen wrote:

> Windows 10 introduced an Ubuntu Bash shell, so I'm interested if anyone
> has compiled GIMP using that environment. I tried, but I'm just a newbie
> and got into problems where gegl didn't see babl etc. so my environment
> variable settings were probably either wrong or not effective or I just
> messed up something.

Hi Petteri,

this is the point where you should explain what you did in regard to the
environment variable - as detailed as it would be necessary for someone
to reproduce what you did, without knowing what you did.

Re: Windows 10 and Bash on Ubuntu

Petteri Soininen
Hi

I was more like thinking if anyone has already done that so I could get
some pointers and try it too. If that's not the case I probably can try
building it myself and take notes to make a 'how to' so I can give
advice to others who like to try the same. If during that I face
problems, I'll probably try to ask help in IRC. That Bash shell probably
is quite standard installation in WIn10, so making build instructions
for that couldn't hurt (if that's even possible). :)

- Petteri Soininen

On 2.2.2017 22:13, Michael Schumacher wrote:

> On 02/02/2017 08:05 PM, Petteri Soininen wrote:
>
>> Windows 10 introduced an Ubuntu Bash shell, so I'm interested if anyone
>> has compiled GIMP using that environment. I tried, but I'm just a newbie
>> and got into problems where gegl didn't see babl etc. so my environment
>> variable settings were probably either wrong or not effective or I just
>> messed up something.
> Hi Petteri,
>
> this is the point where you should explain what you did in regard to the
> environment variable - as detailed as it would be necessary for someone
> to reproduce what you did, without knowing what you did.

Re: Windows 10 and Bash on Ubuntu

Partha Bagchi-2
Are you planning to cross build or a native build? I am not sure what you
are asking.

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 9:20 PM, Petteri Soininen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I was more like thinking if anyone has already done that so I could get
> some pointers and try it too. If that's not the case I probably can try
> building it myself and take notes to make a 'how to' so I can give advice
> to others who like to try the same. If during that I face problems, I'll
> probably try to ask help in IRC. That Bash shell probably is quite standard
> installation in WIn10, so making build instructions for that couldn't hurt
> (if that's even possible). :)
>
> - Petteri Soininen
>
> On 2.2.2017 22:13, Michael Schumacher wrote:
>

>> On 02/02/2017 08:05 PM, Petteri Soininen wrote:
>>
>> Windows 10 introduced an Ubuntu Bash shell, so I'm interested if anyone
>>> has compiled GIMP using that environment. I tried, but I'm just a newbie
>>> and got into problems where gegl didn't see babl etc. so my environment
>>> variable settings were probably either wrong or not effective or I just
>>> messed up something.
>>>
>> Hi Petteri,
>>
>> this is the point where you should explain what you did in regard to the
>> environment variable - as detailed as it would be necessary for someone
>> to reproduce what you did, without knowing what you did.

Re: Windows 10 and Bash on Ubuntu

Petteri Soininen
I'd probably try cross build since after 'sudo apt-get install gimp' and
trying to run it, it fails on 'cannot open display' so I think that
indicates the shell cannot run it under windows and gimp needs to be
built as a cross build. But as said, I'm just a beginner.  :)

- Petteri Soininen

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 9:53 PM, Petteri Soininen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd probably try cross build since after 'sudo apt-get install gimp' and
> trying to run it, it fails on 'cannot open display' so I think that
> indicates the shell cannot run it under windows and gimp needs to be built
> as a cross build. But as said, I'm just a beginner.  :)
>
> - Petteri Soininen
>
> Well, GIMP is a graphical application and X11 are not officially supported
on WSL. So, first you'll need to install X11 and then set the display
appropriately. If you are familiar with Linux this should not be a problem.
I think the command is something like export display.

If you simply plan to cross build, I am not sure what you are gaining with
WSL.

Hope that helps.

Re: Windows 10 and Bash on Ubuntu

Petteri Soininen
Hi

Not gaining personally anything, but maybe making development builds
more accessible to those who come from MS Windows backgrounds.

Now they have to setup a Msys2 environment and do builds with that,
which isn't as easy as it sounds with instructions that are partly
outdated, but if Win10 has an Ubuntu shell, that probably is quite same
for everyone who uses it, so why not try to build GIMP for Windows with
that? GIMP isn't supposed to be an elitist Linux application, but a
serious cross platform tool for everyone. Or so I have thought this far.

- Petteri Soininen

On 4.2.2017 5:07, Partha Bagchi wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 9:53 PM, Petteri Soininen <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I'd probably try cross build since after 'sudo apt-get install
>     gimp' and trying to run it, it fails on 'cannot open display' so I
>     think that indicates the shell cannot run it under windows and
>     gimp needs to be built as a cross build. But as said, I'm just a
>     beginner.  :)
>
>     - Petteri Soininen
>
> Well, GIMP is a graphical application and X11 are not officially
> supported on WSL. So, first you'll need to install X11 and then set
> the display appropriately. If you are familiar with Linux this should
> not be a problem. I think the command is something like export display.
>
> If you simply plan to cross build, I am not sure what you are gaining
> with WSL.
>
> Hope that helps.

Re: Windows 10 and Bash on Ubuntu

jcupitt
It sounds like you've managed it! As Partha says, you can't run graphical
Linux programs directly from win10, you need to install an X11 server on
the Windows side.

From the win desktop, install an X11 server, there are loads of free ones,
and start it running. Check the instructions on how to set the display
variable.

Back in the Linux shell, enter something like

export DISPLAY=0:

Then try running your gimp build. People have got the entire KDE desktop
working this way, so there's a good chance it'll just work.

You've made a Linux build of gimp so it won't be directly useful to windows
users, or easy to package or distribute. You'll need to look into the mingw
cross-compiler if you want to make a native windows binary from Linux.
On Sat, 4 Feb 2017 at 05:04, Petteri Soininen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Not gaining personally anything, but maybe making development builds
> more accessible to those who come from MS Windows backgrounds.
>
> Now they have to setup a Msys2 environment and do builds with that,
> which isn't as easy as it sounds with instructions that are partly
> outdated, but if Win10 has an Ubuntu shell, that probably is quite same
> for everyone who uses it, so why not try to build GIMP for Windows with
> that? GIMP isn't supposed to be an elitist Linux application, but a
> serious cross platform tool for everyone. Or so I have thought this far.
>
> - Petteri Soininen
>
> On 4.2.2017 5:07, Partha Bagchi wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 9:53 PM, Petteri Soininen <[hidden email]
> > <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> >     I'd probably try cross build since after 'sudo apt-get install
> >     gimp' and trying to run it, it fails on 'cannot open display' so I
> >     think that indicates the shell cannot run it under windows and
> >     gimp needs to be built as a cross build. But as said, I'm just a
> >     beginner.  :)
> >
> >     - Petteri Soininen
> >
> > Well, GIMP is a graphical application and X11 are not officially
> > supported on WSL. So, first you'll need to install X11 and then set
> > the display appropriately. If you are familiar with Linux this should
> > not be a problem. I think the command is something like export display.
> >
> > If you simply plan to cross build, I am not sure what you are gaining
> > with WSL.
> >
> > Hope that helps.

Re: Windows 10 and Bash on Ubuntu

Jehan Pagès
Hi Petteri,

On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 6:03 AM, Petteri Soininen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Not gaining personally anything, but maybe making development builds more
> accessible to those who come from MS Windows backgrounds.
>
> Now they have to setup a Msys2 environment and do builds with that, which
> isn't as easy as it sounds with instructions that are partly outdated, but
> if Win10 has an Ubuntu shell, that probably is quite same for everyone who
> uses it, so why not try to build GIMP for Windows with that? GIMP isn't
> supposed to be an elitist Linux application, but a serious cross platform
> tool for everyone. Or so I have thought this far.

Your view makes perfect sense, no worry! :-)
It would be good if this new Bash in Windows helped Windows
contributor build, hence code for GIMP, since the project is seriously
lacking from developers on this platform.

Now what I don't understand is that you are trying to build *on*
Windows *for* Windows, yet you are writing about cross-building. That
should be a native build instead, not a cross-build… unless I really
misunderstand what this bash shell on Windows is, but I don't think
that's supposed to be an emulator, right?!
So if I understand you well, you don't want to cross-build. :-)

Now to know exactly how we can help you though, it is necessary that
you explain exactly what you already did, just as Michael Schumacher
proposed.
The fact is that you actually won't find what you are looking for
(someone who already did it and could give you hints) since — as I
said — we are lacking dedicated Windows developer. You are maybe the
first to try building on this new Windows-Bash shell, and in that
respect, you are an explorer of this new Windows feature. In the end,
if you manage to do it, you will likely be the one able to explain
others. :-)

Now we can still help you with generic and theoretical help on what we
know about building GIMP in general, but not specific help.
But feel free to ask and tell us on your advances on the matter. We
are very interested on the topic. Also you can always ask me stuff
personally. I am the GIMP newcomers mentor, so reaching out to Windows
developers in one of my hope to improve GIMP.
Thanks!

Jehan

> - Petteri Soininen
>
> On 4.2.2017 5:07, Partha Bagchi wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 9:53 PM, Petteri Soininen <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     I'd probably try cross build since after 'sudo apt-get install
>>     gimp' and trying to run it, it fails on 'cannot open display' so I
>>     think that indicates the shell cannot run it under windows and
>>     gimp needs to be built as a cross build. But as said, I'm just a
>>     beginner.  :)
>>
>>     - Petteri Soininen
>>
>> Well, GIMP is a graphical application and X11 are not officially supported
>> on WSL. So, first you'll need to install X11 and then set the display
>> appropriately. If you are familiar with Linux this should not be a problem.
>> I think the command is something like export display.
>>
>> If you simply plan to cross build, I am not sure what you are gaining with
>> WSL.
>>
>> Hope that helps.

ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net
Patreon: https://patreon.com/zemarmot
Tipeee: https://www.tipeee.com/zemarmot

On 4 February 2017 at 10:22,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Back in the Linux shell, enter something like
>
> export DISPLAY=0:

Oh dear, I always get that the wrong way around, you need :0, not 0:.
It's probably something else anyway, it depends how the network stacks
on the linux and win subsystems are set up.

export DISPLAY=:0

John