Wilber Logo

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wilber Logo

Riley Tallman
Hello,

I would like to design t-shirts with the Wilber logo and commercially sell
those shirts online. I have not made the designs yet because I wanted to
make sure that I have the right permission and legal ability to do so.

The design will have nothing other than a modified version of the Wilber
logo, and perhaps the text "GIMP".

Let me know how to proceed,
Thank you in advance!

--
Considerately,
Riley Tallman
_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
C R
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wilber Logo

C R
Can you describe how you intend to modify it?
Also, it would be a good idea to make sure the version you want to
modify is an official one, and not one someone else made, because
those can be copyright, just as yours might be if you made a variation
of it.

See here (describes linking, downloading, and modification):
https://www.gimp.org/about/linking.html



On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 6:03 PM, Riley Tallman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to design t-shirts with the Wilber logo and commercially sell
> those shirts online. I have not made the designs yet because I wanted to
> make sure that I have the right permission and legal ability to do so.
>
> The design will have nothing other than a modified version of the Wilber
> logo, and perhaps the text "GIMP".
>
> Let me know how to proceed,
> Thank you in advance!
>
> --
> Considerately,
> Riley Tallman
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-developer-list mailing list
> List address:    [hidden email]
> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
C R
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wilber Logo

C R
In reply to this post by Riley Tallman
It seems to be missing from the official GIMP Wilber downloads page,
but a few years ago I made Wilbur in Inkscape, and gave it to the
project.
It's probably lost in a git archive somewhere. :)

I've included a temporary link to it if the project wants to put it up
for folks to use (no attribution is necessary). Included is an archive
with the vector (editable in Inkscape) as well as a high-res png
export. It's cc0, as are all the graphics I make for the projects. :)
Use and mod as you like:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ek1vzv1kkgdoybh/gimp_2.8_logo.zip?dl=1

That said, I am not a lawyer, nor do I own claim ownership rights to
the original Wilber logo, and with cc0 I waive my rights to this work
as well. :)
For my part, I'm happy knowing more people will be wearing GIMP tees
and spreading awareness of the project.

Riley - You might think about donating a portion of your profits to
the GIMP project - It's actually a pretty big selling point for a lot
of GIMP users, knowing a portion will go to supporting the project.
Also, you might get your company name on this really bad page:
https://www.gimp.org/about/merchandise.html

I know right? Almost too good to be true! :D
-C


On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 6:03 PM, Riley Tallman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to design t-shirts with the Wilber logo and commercially sell
> those shirts online. I have not made the designs yet because I wanted to
> make sure that I have the right permission and legal ability to do so.
>
> The design will have nothing other than a modified version of the Wilber
> logo, and perhaps the text "GIMP".
>
> Let me know how to proceed,
> Thank you in advance!
>
> --
> Considerately,
> Riley Tallman
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-developer-list mailing list
> List address:    [hidden email]
> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
C R
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wilber Logo

C R
Like I said, I'm not a lawyer. I don't own any rights to the GIMP logo. I
would not be the one to ask. I'd recommend making the graphic and then
asking for permission so the devs can see it. Note that they are away this
week at a hackfest and may be slow to respond.

Hope it helps. :)

-C

On 28 Jan 2017 9:50 p.m., "Riley Tallman" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for your permission to use that logo you made!
>
> So just to be crystal clear, I do not need any special legal documentation
> approving me to modify and commercialize the GIMP logo Wilbur? Other than
> this email I suppose?
>
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 2:14 PM, C R <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It seems to be missing from the official GIMP Wilber downloads page,
>> but a few years ago I made Wilbur in Inkscape, and gave it to the
>> project.
>> It's probably lost in a git archive somewhere. :)
>>
>> I've included a temporary link to it if the project wants to put it up
>> for folks to use (no attribution is necessary). Included is an archive
>> with the vector (editable in Inkscape) as well as a high-res png
>> export. It's cc0, as are all the graphics I make for the projects. :)
>> Use and mod as you like:
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/ek1vzv1kkgdoybh/gimp_2.8_logo.zip?dl=1
>>
>> That said, I am not a lawyer, nor do I own claim ownership rights to
>> the original Wilber logo, and with cc0 I waive my rights to this work
>> as well. :)
>> For my part, I'm happy knowing more people will be wearing GIMP tees
>> and spreading awareness of the project.
>>
>> Riley - You might think about donating a portion of your profits to
>> the GIMP project - It's actually a pretty big selling point for a lot
>> of GIMP users, knowing a portion will go to supporting the project.
>> Also, you might get your company name on this really bad page:
>> https://www.gimp.org/about/merchandise.html
>>
>> I know right? Almost too good to be true! :D
>> -C
>>
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 6:03 PM, Riley Tallman <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I would like to design t-shirts with the Wilber logo and commercially
>> sell
>> > those shirts online. I have not made the designs yet because I wanted to
>> > make sure that I have the right permission and legal ability to do so.
>> >
>> > The design will have nothing other than a modified version of the Wilber
>> > logo, and perhaps the text "GIMP".
>> >
>> > Let me know how to proceed,
>> > Thank you in advance!
>> >
>> > --
>> > Considerately,
>> > Riley Tallman
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > gimp-developer-list mailing list
>> > List address:    [hidden email]
>> > List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman
>> /listinfo/gimp-developer-list
>> > List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Considerately,
> Riley Tallman
>
_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wilber Logo

Tobias Ellinghaus
In reply to this post by C R
Am Samstag, 28. Januar 2017, 21:14:56 CET schrieb C R:
> Wilbur

Wilber ;-)
_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
C R
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wilber Logo

C R
Yes I spelt it wrong a few times. It's me though. Is anyone shocked at this
point? ;)

On 28 Jan 2017 10:40 p.m., "Tobias Ellinghaus" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Samstag, 28. Januar 2017, 21:14:56 CET schrieb C R:
> > Wilbur
>
> Wilber ;-)
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-developer-list mailing list
> List address:    [hidden email]
> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-
> developer-list
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
>
>
_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wilber Logo

Simon Budig
In reply to this post by Riley Tallman
Riley Tallman ([hidden email]) wrote:
> I would like to design t-shirts with the Wilber logo and commercially sell
> those shirts online. I have not made the designs yet because I wanted to
> make sure that I have the right permission and legal ability to do so.
>
> The design will have nothing other than a modified version of the Wilber
> logo, and perhaps the text "GIMP".
>
> Let me know how to proceed,

You seem to have interpreted C R's mail as a permission. Note that he is
not in a position to give that permission (and did not even claim to in
his mail).

A big chunk of the Gimp Team is currently sitting together and we will
discuss your request. Note that we'll probably ask for the actual
designs you want to put on the shirts and also want to know about your
plan to contribute back to the community. Maybe you can elaborate on
that a bit.

Bye,
        Simon

--
              [hidden email]              http://simon.budig.de/
_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wilber Logo

Kevin Cozens-2
In reply to this post by C R
On 2017-01-28 04:14 PM, C R wrote:
> It seems to be missing from the official GIMP Wilber downloads page,
> but a few years ago I made Wilbur in Inkscape, and gave it to the
> project.
> It's probably lost in a git archive somewhere. :)

If you do an Internet search there are plenty of instances of Wilber with
the paint brush in his mouth that are in SVG format.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include <disclaimer/favourite> |             --Chris Hardwick
_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
C R
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wilber Logo

C R
I did an "Internet search" before making it, as none available at the time
were based off the 2.8 splash screen version. This is why I made one, and
then shared it with GIMP devs and the community. It's still one of the best
ones available, and it's one I can vouch for being cc0 as I made it
personally. GIMP's own page about the Wilber graphic warns against using
other versions from outside sources as they may be (c) the artists. I made
this version to be free with no attribution required so people could modify
and use it freely. There may be other versions out there, but this is a
high quality one can be considered safe to use for the project and it's
more up to date than versions in the gimp website (with permission needed
from GIMP devs for the commercial part, of course). I suggest the GIMP
project use it on the official Wilbur page so more people have access to it
as a resource.

-C

On 29 Jan 2017 6:21 p.m., "Kevin Cozens" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 2017-01-28 04:14 PM, C R wrote:

> It seems to be missing from the official GIMP Wilber downloads page,
> but a few years ago I made Wilbur in Inkscape, and gave it to the
> project.
> It's probably lost in a git archive somewhere. :)
>

If you do an Internet search there are plenty of instances of Wilber with
the paint brush in his mouth that are in SVG format.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                | powerful!"
#include <disclaimer/favourite> |             --Chris Hardwick

_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
C R
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wilber Logo

C R
Grrr, Wilbur -> Wilber! ;)

On 29 Jan 2017 6:48 p.m., "C R" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did an "Internet search" before making it, as none available at the time
> were based off the 2.8 splash screen version. This is why I made one, and
> then shared it with GIMP devs and the community. It's still one of the best
> ones available, and it's one I can vouch for being cc0 as I made it
> personally. GIMP's own page about the Wilber graphic warns against using
> other versions from outside sources as they may be (c) the artists. I made
> this version to be free with no attribution required so people could modify
> and use it freely. There may be other versions out there, but this is a
> high quality one can be considered safe to use for the project and it's
> more up to date than versions in the gimp website (with permission needed
> from GIMP devs for the commercial part, of course). I suggest the GIMP
> project use it on the official Wilbur page so more people have access to it
> as a resource.
>
> -C
>
> On 29 Jan 2017 6:21 p.m., "Kevin Cozens" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 2017-01-28 04:14 PM, C R wrote:
>
>> It seems to be missing from the official GIMP Wilber downloads page,
>> but a few years ago I made Wilbur in Inkscape, and gave it to the
>> project.
>> It's probably lost in a git archive somewhere. :)
>>
>
> If you do an Internet search there are plenty of instances of Wilber with
> the paint brush in his mouth that are in SVG format.
>
> --
> Cheers!
>
> Kevin.
>
> http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that
> distract
> Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
>                                 | powerful!"
> #include <disclaimer/favourite> |             --Chris Hardwick
>
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-developer-list mailing list
> List address:    [hidden email]
> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman
> /listinfo/gimp-developer-list
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
>
>
>
_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wilber Logo

Owen Cook
In reply to this post by C R


>
> I did an "Internet search" before making it, as none available at the time
> were based off the 2.8 splash screen version. This is why I made one, and
> then shared it with GIMP devs and the community. It's still one of the best
> ones available, and it's one I can vouch for being cc0 as I made it
> personally. GIMP's own page about the Wilber graphic warns against using
> other versions from outside sources as they may be (c) the artists. I made
> this version to be free with no attribution required so people could modify
> and use it freely. There may be other versions out there, but this is a
> high quality one can be considered safe to use for the project and it's
> more up to date than versions in the gimp website (with permission needed
> from GIMP devs for the commercial part, of course). I suggest the GIMP
> project use it on the official Wilbur page so more people have access to it
> as a resource.
>
> -C
>
> On 29 Jan 2017 6:21 p.m., "Kevin Cozens" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 2017-01-28 04:14 PM, C R wrote:
>
> > It seems to be missing from the official GIMP Wilber downloads page,
> > but a few years ago I made Wilbur in Inkscape, and gave it to the
> > project.
> > It's probably lost in a git archive somewhere. :)
> >
>
> If you do an Internet search there are plenty of instances of Wilber with
> the paint brush in his mouth that are in SVG format.






If you look in the source (docs) you will find the wilber construction kit as well as an svg. Been there forever



Owen
_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
C R
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wilber Logo

C R
> If you look in the source (docs) you will find the wilber construction
kit as well as an svg. Been there forever

Think that falls under that "lost in the a git archive somewhere" thing I
said earlier...
What I'm saying is if the project wants it to be available to users, it
should be on the website as well where normal users can find it along with
information on how to use it (maybe a link to Inkscape would be useful as
well).

-C



>
> Owen
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-developer-list mailing list
> List address:    [hidden email]
> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman
> /listinfo/gimp-developer-list
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
>
_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
C R
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wilber Logo

C R
Also, if you mean the docs folder in a gimp install, that svg actually
HAS been there (unchanged) forever. :)
I think round-about no one would find this version satisfying anymore...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1vq9lzsbjpogct3/ancient_wilber.png?dl=0

The construction kit has a slightly more modern version, but it's
still a far cry from the one on the splash in gimp 2.8.
Would someone like me to patch this kit with the new stuff?

There are closer svgs in the icons folders, however the only actual
graphic of the latest official gimp logo is a png. This is the png I
used the make my svg version a few years back.

Let me know if it would be useful to update these as well.

-C



On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 6:52 AM, C R <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
>> If you look in the source (docs) you will find the wilber construction kit
>> as well as an svg. Been there forever
>
> Think that falls under that "lost in the a git archive somewhere" thing I
> said earlier...
> What I'm saying is if the project wants it to be available to users, it
> should be on the website as well where normal users can find it along with
> information on how to use it (maybe a link to Inkscape would be useful as
> well).
>
> -C
>
>
>>
>>
>> Owen
>> _______________________________________________
>> gimp-developer-list mailing list
>> List address:    [hidden email]
>> List membership:
>> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
>> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list