Why jpg files created by gimp can't be edited and saved with microsoft photo?

Why jpg files created by gimp can't be edited and saved with microsoft photo?

GimpMango
I edited some photos with GIMP 2.10.6 and exported them as jpg files.  Then I
wanted to do some quick edits of the exported jpg files with Microsoft Photo
(Windows 10 operating system).  When I attempt to save my changes (or a copy of
the changes) the following message is displayed:
"Oops! We couldn't save that one."

I thought perhaps my Microsoft Photo App was corrupt, so I ran the repair and
reset commands under Microsoft Photo App settings and neither helped.

When I attempt to edit and save jpg files that were not created with GIMP,
Microsoft Photo works fine (note these files are in the same folder as the GIMP
exported jpg).  So the problem is unique to those jpg files created with GIMP.

When I right clicked on the jpg files created with GIMP and selected properties,
I noticed in the "General Tab" the following option was unchecked:
"This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this
computer __ Unblock".
So I checked the "Unblock" box and hit "Apply" then "OK".  However this didn't
help.  Still unable to save it in Microsoft Photo.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?  Why is this happening and what can I do
to fix it?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

--
Hank48152 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Why jpg files created by gimp can't be edited and saved with microsoft photo?

GimpMango
>I edited some photos with GIMP 2.10.6 and exported them as jpg files.
>Then I wanted to do some quick edits of the exported jpg files with
>Microsoft Photo (Windows 10 operating system).  When I attempt to save
>my changes (or a copy of the changes) the following message is
>displayed:
>"Oops! We couldn't save that one."
>
>I thought perhaps my Microsoft Photo App was corrupt, so I ran the
>repair and reset commands under Microsoft Photo App settings and
>neither helped.
>
>When I attempt to edit and save jpg files that were not created with
>GIMP, Microsoft Photo works fine (note these files are in the same
>folder as the GIMP exported jpg).  So the problem is unique to those
>jpg files created with GIMP.
>
>When I right clicked on the jpg files created with GIMP and selected
>properties, I noticed in the "General Tab" the following option was
>unchecked:
>"This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help
>protect this computer __ Unblock".
>So I checked the "Unblock" box and hit "Apply" then "OK".  However
>this didn't help.  Still unable to save it in Microsoft Photo.
>
>Has anyone else experienced this issue?  Why is this happening and
>what can I do to fix it?
>
>Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

The same is happening to me. I just got a new laptop and downloaded GIMP (the
newest version that I don't like). I get the exact same error message when
trying to edit a GIMP exported photo using the Photo apps.

Did you get to fix it?
Can anyone please provide a solution?

Thank you so much in advance.

--
virjofer (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Why jpg files created by gimp can't be edited and saved with microsoft photo?

GimpMango

Former M$ employee here.
The short answer is that Microsoft products are horrible. If you've any
experience with their video compression software, so broken that ffmpeg official
documentation says as much, then you know what I mean.
The long answer is long, and I wouldn't want to waste time trying to get a
Microsoft product to work on open source forums, instead I would convert it to a
lossless format from GIMP itself.

Maybe try something that MS photoware could almost surely comprehend like
lossless TIF. Export As > Pull down to TIF > Choose lossless or PackBits.

Convert to lossy JPG from within Photo itself if you intend to work with Win10
only.

bolete2 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)