Why is lettering not clearer?

chrisj
Hi,

I created a logo and uploaded to a web page, as you can see by the attached
image "HIRED", the lettering/text doesn't look clear. It is Arial 11 on a
transparent background.
Gimp 2.8

The link to the home page "Home" is attached. it is not part of the logo, but
looks much clearer on the web page.

Is there something I can do to help make the logo text sharper/clearer?

Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/642/original/hired.png
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/643/original/Home.png

--
chrisj (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Why is lettering not clearer?

chrisj
>Hi,
>
>I created a logo and uploaded to a web page, as you can see by the
>attached image "HIRED", the lettering/text doesn't look clear. It is
>Arial 11 on a transparent background.
>Gimp 2.8
>
>The link to the home page "Home" is attached. it is not part of the
>logo, but looks much clearer on the web page.
>
>Is there something I can do to help make the logo text
>sharper/clearer?
>
>Any help will be appreciated.

Not a guess this time.

The size and weight of the font is too small. By default Gimp applies
anti-aliasing, hence those semi-transparent pixels. Because of the small size
they dominate.

You can turn off anti-aliasing for text in the tool options and get the results
shown. Not wonderful but then one is 7 pixels high and the other 9 (with lower
case smaller).

The typeface (font) also makes a difference, some will look even worse, Arial
for example.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/644/original/7pix.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/645/original/9pix.jpg

Why is lettering not clearer?

chrisj
Looking at it again, since you are putting these on a webpage, What format are
you using for the upload?

It might not be Gimp, it might be the website applying the anti-aliasing.

Re: Why is lettering not clearer?

Rick Strong-2
It may be my eye, but the word Home looks to be a tiny bit larger than the
word Hired. Is the type the same size? Try making Hired 1 pt bigger.

You might also try widening the kerning (spacing) between the letters in
HIRED. There are a lot of close together verticals in HIRED compared to
Home.

HIRED is all Caps while Home is U/lc (Upper and lower case).  Should they
not be the same?

Try also making small pixel words at 600 to 1200 dpi.

Good luck.

Rick S