Why does it take so long until Gimp finds out that no image is on the clipboard

Why does it take so long until Gimp finds out that no image is on the clipboard

Adalbert Hanßen
I am using Gimp 2.8 under Xubuntu 18.04.4 LTS.

From time to time I use Gimp to crop screenshots in order to paste the right part of a screenshot to a report.

Sometimes, my screenshot utility (xfce4-screenshooter) does not put my screenshot onto the clipboard when I invoke the screenshot utility by the right shortcut. I have no idea, what's wrong then but alsoLibreOffice tells me that there is noimage on the clipboard in these cases. In some of themthere still is text on the clibpoard from the last clipboard operation, so the error message from Gimp is ok.

Whatreally annoys me isthat it takes almost a minute for Gimp to tell me that there is no image on the clipboard.

* Why does it take that long?

* What can developers do to speed up the error message in such a situation?

* By the way: Is there a method such that one can see what type of data is on the clipboard: text/image/file designation/spreadsheet data, ...?

Re: Why does it take so long until Gimp finds out that no image is on the clipboard

Liam R E Quin
On Sun, 2020-05-03 at 19:17 +0200, Adalbert Hanßen wrote:

> Whatreally annoys me isthat it takes almost a minute for Gimp to tell
> me that there is no image on the clipboard.

Is this under GNOME 3? or KDE/plasma? Do you have a clipboard manager
running?

> * Why does it take that long?
It doesn't, here.

> * What can developers do to speed up the error message in such a
> situation?
Fix the bug, but that involves understanding whenand why it happens and
what is causing it.

> * By the way: Is there a method such that one can see what type of
> data is on the clipboard: text/image/file designation/spreadsheet
> data, ...?

Again, depends on desktop enviroment and whether wayland or X11, but
yes, there are clipboard managers that can show it. KDE has one running
all the time i think.

Full-time slave in voluntary servitude

Re: Why does it take so long until Gimp finds out that no image is on the clipboard

Ofnuts-2
On 03/05/2020 20:07, Liam R E Quin wrote:

> On Sun, 2020-05-03 at 19:17 +0200, Adalbert Hanßen wrote:
>> Whatreally annoys me isthat it takes almost a minute for Gimp to tell
>> me that there is no image on the clipboard.
> Is this under GNOME 3? or KDE/plasma? Do you have a clipboard manager
> running?
>

>> * Why does it take that long?
> It doesn't, here.
>
>> * What can developers do to speed up the error message in such a
>> situation?
> Fix the bug, but that involves understanding whenand why it happens and
> what is causing it.
>
>> * By the way: Is there a method such that one can see what type of
>> data is on the clipboard: text/image/file designation/spreadsheet
>> data, ...?
> Again, depends on desktop enviroment and whether wayland or X11, but
> yes, there are clipboard managers that can show it. KDE has one running
> all the time i think.

Yes, Klipper in KDE can display images in the clipboard. However,
clipboard operations are not that simple under the hood. For large data
such as image, the source app doesn't really copy the data but some kind
of announcement, so during the paste the pasting app retrieves the data
from the source app and this source app may misbehave.

Re: Why does it take so long until Gimp finds out that no image is on the clipboard

Adalbert Hanßen
I am running Krusader under Xubuntu 18.04.4 LTS.

I can click and Ctl-c on a file to paste the complete path to the file into an editor window, I can paste the whole file if I Strg-v it in a file manager. I can copy pictures from one application to another by copy/paste.

I have never heard before about clipboard managers and just googled for that keyword to look if any of the names associated with one of the findings is installed on my computer:

clipit, copyq, diodon, gpaste, glipper, klipper, qlipper, parcellite, xfce4-clipman, xclip and xsel are not installed on my computer.

there is no sequence "clip" in the output of dpkg -l.

Am 04.05.20 um 02:51 schrieb Ofnuts:
> On 03/05/2020 20:07, Liam R E Quin wrote:
>> On Sun, 2020-05-03 at 19:17 +0200, Adalbert Hanßen wrote:
>>> Whatreally annoys me is that it takes almost a minute for Gimp to tell
>>> me that there is no image on the clipboard.
>> Is this under GNOME 3? or KDE/plasma? Do you have a clipboard manager
>> running?
2018-07-08_Standard

*P.S.:*
1. Wenn diese Mail nicht verschlüsselt ist, fehlt mir wahrscheinlich Ihr/_öffentlicher_/PGP/GnuPG-Schlüssel.
Wo möglich, schreibe ich normalerweise verschlüsselt. An mehrere gleichzeitig jedochunverschlüsselt,
wenneiner dabei ist, dessen öffentlicher Schlüssel mir fehlt.

2. Wenn die Datei 0x60F8E85A6DB90BA2.asc angehängt ist, ist der"Buchstabensalat" darin mein
öffentlicher PGP-Schlüssel. Den bittefür verschlüsselte Mails an [hidden email] verwenden.
_____________________________

Dipl.-Math. Adalbert Hanßen
Elsterweg 4
73434 Aalen

Tel: +49 7361 5280 947
Fax: +49 7361 9750 831

On 04/05/2020 12:29, Adalbert Hanßen wrote:

> I am running Krusader under Xubuntu 18.04.4 LTS.
>
> I can click and Ctl-c on a file to paste the complete path to the file into an editor window, I can paste the whole file if I Strg-v it in a file manager. I can copy pictures from one application to another by copy/paste.
>
> I have never heard before about clipboard managers and just googled for that keyword to look if any of the names associated with one of the findings is installed on my computer:
>
> clipit, copyq, diodon, gpaste, glipper, klipper, qlipper, parcellite, xfce4-clipman, xclip and xsel are not installed on my computer.
>
> there is no sequence "clip" in the output of dpkg -l.

Liam mentioned clipboard managers not as a cause of your problem, but as
a possible investigation tool.

On Mon, 2020-05-04 at 13:24 +0200, Ofnuts wrote:
> On 04/05/2020 12:29, Adalbert Hanßen wrote:
> >
> Liam mentioned clipboard managers not as a cause of your problem, but
> as a possible investigation tool.

We've found that people reporting this problem seem to be running
clipboard managers.Note that the KDE one is called klippy.

So my first guess was that this is
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/2733

Liam

Full-time slave in voluntary servitude