Quantcast

Who Owns Images Created Using Gimp Tool

Carol Perkins
Hi,

I've viewed some the tutorials for the Gimp tool, covering various features.
They are straightforward, easy to understand and very accessible. I believe
it is the best tool to use when creating my own
characters/pictures/illustrations for my upcoming books.

This may sound unnecessary, but...could you please confirm that I am the
owner of the images I have created using this tool and can incorporate them
into my own books which I will be selling commercially. In reading the
License Agreement, I wasn't sure I could use my own creations commercially.
"Legaleze" isn't really my forte.

Thanks so much, I appreciate any clarifications you can provide.

Carol

---

Re: Who Owns Images Created Using Gimp Tool

Alexandre Prokoudine
On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 11:10 PM, Carol Perkins wrote:

> This may sound unnecessary, but...could you please confirm that I am the
> owner of the images I have created using this tool

Yes, you are.

Re: Who Owns Images Created Using Gimp Tool

Tom-2
One nice thing you can check out, is the image properties that runs
through owner options.

Tom

On 03/28/2017 04:51 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 11:10 PM, Carol Perkins wrote:
>
>> This may sound unnecessary, but...could you please confirm that I am the
>> owner of the images I have created using this tool
> Yes, you are.
>
> Alex

ICE must have court order signed by judge to enter home.

Re: Who Owns Images Created Using Gimp Tool

Steve Kinney

On 03/28/2017 07:38 PM, Tom wrote:

> One nice thing you can check out, is the image properties that runs
> through owner options.
>
> Tom
>

> On 03/28/2017 04:51 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 11:10 PM, Carol Perkins wrote:
>>
>>> This may sound unnecessary, but...could you please confirm that I am the
>>> owner of the images I have created using this tool
>> Yes, you are.

Welcome to the world of Free Software.

:o)

Re: Who Owns Images Created Using Gimp Tool

Joel Rees

I am not a lawyer either, but, ...

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 5:10 AM, Carol Perkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I've viewed some the tutorials for the Gimp tool, covering various features.
> They are straightforward, easy to understand and very accessible. I believe
> it is the best tool to use when creating my own
> characters/pictures/illustrations for my upcoming books.
>

> This may sound unnecessary,

Actually, understanding the license as best you can is an important thing.

You might or might not find useful information on this site:

    https://www.fsf.org

(It tends to be oriented towards technical types.)

In specific, there is a FAQ list and a quick guide linked on this page:

    https://www.fsf.org/licensing/

> but...could you please confirm that I am the
> owner of the images I have created using this tool and can incorporate them
> into my own books which I will be selling commercially. In reading the
> License Agreement, I wasn't sure I could use my own creations commercially.
> "Legaleze" isn't really my forte.

If you look in the help menu, under "about this application",you'll
find the license item. In that item, you'll see that Gimp is made
available under version 3 of the General Public License.

On this page:

    https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html

in section 0 it says that a covered work is the program, or a work
based on the program. It would include parts of the program.

In addition to source code, the program includes some images, such as
the widgets in the toolbox palette and the Gimp mascot. If you use the
Gimp to edit those images and want to publish the results, you would
need to publish them under the GPL.

But I assume you are not doing that. It's a rather unusual thing to do.

If you take a picture of your dog with your digital camera, that is
not part of the program. And if you edit the picture of your dog with
the Gimp, that is still not part of the program. It's your dog and
your work, so the image is yours.

The Gimp is a tool, and the license covers the tool, but not the stuff
you make or alter with the tool, except when you work on the Gimp
itself with the Gimp like the developers do.

Hope that helps.

--
Joel Rees

I'm imagining I'm a novelist:
http://joel-rees-economics.blogspot.com/2017/01/soc500-00-00-toc.html
More of my delusions:
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html

Re: Who Owns Images Created Using Gimp Tool

Rick Strong-2
Hi Carol,

As one who has designed and created books commercially, I suggest that you
make the acquaintance of a lawyer who is willing to provide professional
advice at low cost for a struggling artist.

There are many issues surrounding ownership, copyright, reproduction rights,
getting paid, etc. Young designers are always complaining about legal
problems they have run into and they are always asked: "Do you have a
contract? Do you know a lawyer?" and the answer is always, "No". By then
it's too late. The publishing world can be a minefield for the unwary. Your
question shows you are attuned to this.

Lastly, be very, very, *very* careful about the agreements you sign with the
DIY self-publishers, or any publisher. Some of them try to get you to sign
agreements which are NOT in your best interest. Ask your friendly lawyer to
review any contract or agreement FIRST, before you sign it. Your creative
work needs all the protection it can get.

Cheers,
Rick S.

Re: Who Owns Images Created Using Gimp Tool

Kevin Cozens-2
On 2017-03-28 04:10 PM, Carol Perkins wrote:
> This may sound unnecessary, but...could you please confirm that I am the
> owner of the images I have created using this tool and can incorporate them
> into my own books which I will be selling commercially.

The answer is of course you can.

When I see this question pop up now and then on the mailing list I always
wonder how many people ask Microsoft the same question when they are
thinking of using Photoshop.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include <disclaimer/favourite> |             --Chris Hardwick

Re: Who Owns Images Created Using Gimp Tool

Rick Strong-2
Probably not very many.

Rick S.

When I see this question pop up now and then on the mailing list I always
wonder how many people ask Microsoft the same question when they are
thinking of using Photoshop.

Re: Who Owns Images Created Using Gimp Tool

Ofnuts-2
On 01/04/17 21:02, Rick Strong wrote:

> Probably not very many.
>
> Rick S.
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Kevin Cozens Sent: Saturday, April
> 01, 2017 1:38 PM To: [hidden email] Subject: Re: [Gimp-user]
> Who Owns Images Created Using Gimp Tool
> When I see this question pop up now and then on the mailing list I
> always wonder how many people ask Microsoft the same question when
> they are thinking of using Photoshop.

Not that many since Photoshop is an Adobe product :)

Now, if the MS-Office EULA had some fine print saying "All your
documents are belong to us" it wouldn't be as pervasive as it is. The
EULA of the early MS-C compiler had something like this (MS considered
that since you linked their runtime, your program contained MS code) but
this was pulled fairly quickly when corporate customers sent in their
lawyers.

Re: Who Owns Images Created Using Gimp Tool

Bob Long
Ofnuts wrote on 03/04/17 05:18:

> Now, if the MS-Office EULA had some fine print saying "All your
> documents are belong to us" it wouldn't be as pervasive as it is. The
> EULA of the early MS-C compiler had something like this (MS considered
> that since you linked their runtime, your program contained MS code)
> but this was pulled fairly quickly when corporate customers sent in
> their lawyers.

Getting a little off-topic, but did you know that the EULA for Microsoft
Word Viewer (at least the 2007 version I looked at) does not allow you
to view files created by non-Microsoft software?

"a.    General. You may install and use any number of copies of the
software on your devices. You may use the software only to view and
print files created with Microsoft Office software. You may not use the
software for any other purpose."

But if someone sent you a ".doc" file, how would you know if it had been
created by Microsoft Word, or LibreOffice, say?

--
Bob Long