What's the term? ...

Users mailing list
for a transparent image that highlights relevant components within?
I’m using “ghost drawing” but I know that’s not right.

What is the word I’m searching for?

Thanks,
Dave

Re: What's the term? ...

Steve Kinney

On 05/09/2017 03:28 PM, Dave C via gimp-user-list wrote:
> for a transparent image that highlights relevant components within? I’m
> using “ghost drawing” but I know that’s not right.
>
> What is the word I’m searching for?

Do you mean a "vignette?"  This general idea:

http://www.francescomilanese.com/ENG/gimp/3-vignette-darkening-the-edges-of-an-image-in-gimp-tutorial.html

If so that's it.

You can also do other sneaky things to make the "foreground" subject of
an image stand out, for instance copy your base image, slightly blur it
and slightly reduce its contrast and/or color saturation (a tiny bit
will do the trick), and add a layer mask to it.  Use a radial gradient,
black to white, centered on the part of the image you want to emphasize
and viola:  It pops.

:o)