What is the easiest way to change background color into transparency?

What is the easiest way to change background color into transparency?

User1001
I want to change the all-black background of an image into a transparency, or
make black transparent, so when printed - the background color, black, is not
printed. What is the easiest, or most effective, way to do this with
Gimp-2.2?

Re: What is the easiest way to change background color into transparency?

Owen-24
On Fri, 20 May 2005 22:31:48 -0500 (CDT)
[hidden email] wrote:

> I want to change the all-black background of an image into a transparency, or
> make black transparent, so when printed - the background color, black, is not
> printed. What is the easiest, or most effective, way to do this with
> Gimp-2.2?

One possibility

Image->Filters->Colors->Color to Alpha

Owen

Re: What is the easiest way to change background color into transparency?

Andreas Waechter
> I want to change the all-black background of an image into a transparency, or
> make black transparent, so when printed - the background color, black, is not
> printed. What is the easiest, or most effective, way to do this with
> Gimp-2.2?

Add an alpha channel (Layer - Transparency - Add Alpha
Channel) if necessary.

Select the background (Select by color or using the Magic
wand tool or whatever)

Press Ctrl-K to clear the selection.

Andreas

Re: What is the easiest way to change background color into transparency?

Sven Neumann

[hidden email] writes:

> I want to change the all-black background of an image into a
> transparency, or make black transparent, so when printed - the
> background color, black, is not printed. What is the easiest, or
> most effective, way to do this with Gimp-2.2?

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Changing_Background_Color_1/
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Changing_Background_Color_2/

Sven

dbp plug-in problems installing

kristin falck peña
I was happy  to have come across the dbp plug-in,
(http://members.ozemail.com.au/~hodsond/dbp.html) thanks to this mailing
list! But I'm not having too much sucsess installing it... I'm  a win
xp-gimp user (dummie). I've downloaded all required dll files, and
locatede it all in the bin folder under gimp (is this correct?) . Yet
I'm getting the following error message:
gtk_file_selection_get_filename_uft8 initial point of procedure not
found in the library of dynamic connections, libgtk-win32-2.0-0.dll.
Anybody who can explain to me what to do?

kristin

Re: dbp plug-in problems installing

David Hodson
Kristin,

> I was happy  to have come across the dbp plug-in, [...]

> I'm getting the following error message:
> gtk_file_selection_get_filename_uft8 initial point of procedure not
> found in the library of dynamic connections, libgtk-win32-2.0-0.dll.

Someone else reported the same problem, and fixed it by installing
a newer version (2.6.7) of the GTK library. You could try that.

--
David Hodson  --  this night wounds time

Re: dbp plug-in problems installing

kristin falck peña
Yesss!!! That solved my problem: 8-)    Thanx