Warp transform Abyss policy

julien-5
Hello developers,

I am writing gimp-help-2 doc for warp transform tool and I have
difficulty with "Abyss policy". I read the wiki/glossary for these items
but did not understand what they do.

How to explain these features to users?

Julien Hardelin

-

Re: Warp transform Abyss policy

Developers mailing list
On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 18:39:39 +0200
Julien Hardelin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello developers,
>
> I am writing gimp-help-2 doc for warp transform tool and I have
> difficulty with "Abyss policy". I read the wiki/glossary for these
> items but did not understand what they do.
>
> How to explain these features to users?

Granted, the abyss policy option is a bit on the technical side.

The warp tool moves pixels from one point to another.  Some pixels may
come from outside the layer boundary.  These pixels don't actually
exist anywhere, and therefore don't have any associated color; yet, we
must assign *some* color to them.  The abyss policy specifies how to
determine their color:

  - None:  Assume that all pixels outside the layer boundary are
    transparent.

  - Clamp:  Assume that each edge of the layer stretches out
    indefinitely, so, for example, a pixel to the left of the layer
    boundary has the same color as the leftmost pixel of the layer with
    the same y coordinate.  An alternative way to think of it is that
    each pixel outside the layer boundary has the same color as the
    closest pixel inside the layer boundary.

  - Loop:  Assume that the layer repeats itself in all directions, so
    that, for example, falling off the right edge of the layer takes
    you back to the left edge.

And here's a quick comparison of the three modes:
http://i.imgur.com/R5RKkLF.gif

You'll find an abyss policy option in some of the filters as well, with
a similar function.  In filters, there are additional "black" and
"white" modes, which are similar to "none", but use black and white for
out-of-bounds pixels, instead of transparency.

--
Ell

Re: Warp transform Abyss policy

julien-5
Thank you, Ell, for these clear explanations.

Julien

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 04:06:09PM -0400, Ell via gimp-developer-list wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 18:39:39 +0200
> Julien Hardelin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello developers,
> >
> > I am writing gimp-help-2 doc for warp transform tool and I have
> > difficulty with "Abyss policy". I read the wiki/glossary for these
> > items but did not understand what they do.
> >
> > How to explain these features to users?
>
> Granted, the abyss policy option is a bit on the technical side.
>
> The warp tool moves pixels from one point to another.  Some pixels may
> come from outside the layer boundary.  These pixels don't actually
> exist anywhere, and therefore don't have any associated color; yet, we
> must assign *some* color to them.  The abyss policy specifies how to
> determine their color:
>
>   - None:  Assume that all pixels outside the layer boundary are
>     transparent.
>
>   - Clamp:  Assume that each edge of the layer stretches out
>     indefinitely, so, for example, a pixel to the left of the layer
>     boundary has the same color as the leftmost pixel of the layer with
>     the same y coordinate.  An alternative way to think of it is that
>     each pixel outside the layer boundary has the same color as the
>     closest pixel inside the layer boundary.
>
>   - Loop:  Assume that the layer repeats itself in all directions, so
>     that, for example, falling off the right edge of the layer takes
>     you back to the left edge.
>
> And here's a quick comparison of the three modes:
> http://i.imgur.com/R5RKkLF.gif
>
> You'll find an abyss policy option in some of the filters as well, with
> a similar function.  In filters, there are additional "black" and
> "white" modes, which are similar to "none", but use black and white for
> out-of-bounds pixels, instead of transparency.

Veeery interesting indeed Ell! And also very clear!
Do you know exactly which tools share this same option?

Your example seems to come from the whirl-pinch distortion filter but I
do not see any abyss option in the filter option dialog... even in any
other filter option dialog... am I looking in the wrong place?

PS: also I see that in the warp tool the Abyss options remains translated
in my system language (Italian) even if I set the gimp language to
English... here and there there are some other translated particulars
like 4 controls in the render->patterns->checkboard filter, tooltips,
keyboard accelerators...small bug?

TIA

--

Marco Ciampa

Re: Warp transform Abyss policy

julien-5
I have the same problem in several tools: with GIMP in the en-US
language, some tool options are in French.

Julien

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 07:52:22AM +0200, Julien Hardelin wrote:
> I have the same problem in several tools: with GIMP in the en-US language,
> some tool options are in French.

The only way to do it right (and changes other things like icon
appearances...) is doing a:

export LANGUAGE=en_US; gimp

Marco Ciampa

Re: Warp transform Abyss policy

On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 07:44:28 +0200
Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Veeery interesting indeed Ell! And also very clear!
> Do you know exactly which tools share this same option?

Warp is the only tool that has an abyss policy option, IIRC.  As for
filters, convolution matrix, displace, edge, fractal trace, and Gaussian
blur all have this option, although some of them call it "border" or
"border behavior" instead.  Bump map, ripple, and waves also have a
toggle that switches between two of the abyss policy modes, although
they call it "clamp", or "tiled/tileable".

> Your example seems to come from the whirl-pinch distortion filter but
> I do not see any abyss option in the filter option dialog... even in
> any other filter option dialog... am I looking in the wrong place?

The example uses the warp tool, of course :)  It is in swirl mode,
though, as you guessed.  The whirl/pinch filter indeed lacks this
option.

> PS: also I see that in the warp tool the Abyss options remains
> translated in my system language (Italian) even if I set the gimp
> language to English... here and there there are some other translated
> particulars like 4 controls in the render->patterns->checkboard
> filter, tooltips, keyboard accelerators...small bug?

The text for the abyss policy items comes from GEGL.  It seems that
switching the language in the preferences only affects GIMP text, and
not GEGL.  We should probably fix that, since it affects all the GEGL
filters.

--
Ell

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 07:01:10AM -0400, Ell wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 07:44:28 +0200
> Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Veeery interesting indeed Ell! And also very clear!
> > Do you know exactly which tools share this same option?
>
> Warp is the only tool that has an abyss policy option, IIRC.  As for
> filters, convolution matrix, displace, edge, fractal trace, and Gaussian
> blur all have this option, although some of them call it "border" or
> "border behavior" instead.  Bump map, ripple, and waves also have a
> toggle that switches between two of the abyss policy modes, although
> they call it "clamp", or "tiled/tileable".

Ok probably a more coherent choice for a label for all these tools would
be a good idea...

> > Your example seems to come from the whirl-pinch distortion filter but
> > I do not see any abyss option in the filter option dialog... even in
> > any other filter option dialog... am I looking in the wrong place?
>
> The example uses the warp tool, of course :)  It is in swirl mode,
> though, as you guessed.  The whirl/pinch filter indeed lacks this
> option.
>
> > PS: also I see that in the warp tool the Abyss options remains
> > translated in my system language (Italian) even if I set the gimp
> > language to English... here and there there are some other translated
> > particulars like 4 controls in the render->patterns->checkboard
> > filter, tooltips, keyboard accelerators...small bug?
>
> The text for the abyss policy items comes from GEGL.  It seems that
> switching the language in the preferences only affects GIMP text, and
> not GEGL.  We should probably fix that, since it affects all the GEGL
> filters.

Very good catch!

Now you said it I see that all the untranslated operations are GEGL... :-)

--

Marco Ciampa

Re: Warp transform Abyss policy

Developers mailing list
On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 21:40:39 +0200
wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 07:01:10AM -0400, Ell wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 07:44:28 +0200
> > Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Veeery interesting indeed Ell! And also very clear!
> > > Do you know exactly which tools share this same option?
> >
> > Warp is the only tool that has an abyss policy option, IIRC.  As for
> > filters, convolution matrix, displace, edge, fractal trace, and
> > Gaussian blur all have this option, although some of them call it
> > "border" or "border behavior" instead.  Bump map, ripple, and waves
> > also have a toggle that switches between two of the abyss policy
> > modes, although they call it "clamp", or "tiled/tileable".
>
> Ok probably a more coherent choice for a label for all these tools
> would be a good idea...

There are other similar inconsistencies across the different filters.
It would be nice if we made sure they're better aligned before 2.10.

> > > PS: also I see that in the warp tool the Abyss options remains
> > > translated in my system language (Italian) even if I set the gimp
> > > language to English... here and there there are some other
> > > translated particulars like 4 controls in the
> > > render->patterns->checkboard filter, tooltips, keyboard
> > > accelerators...small bug?
> >
> > The text for the abyss policy items comes from GEGL.  It seems that
> > switching the language in the preferences only affects GIMP text,
> > and not GEGL.  We should probably fix that, since it affects all
> > the GEGL filters.
>
> Very good catch!
>
> Now you said it I see that all the untranslated operations are
> GEGL... :-)

Aaaand... fixed in master.  Commit
d37fb8aa5c915b57d07da2f2e48fac36e75e7a64.

--
Ell

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 10:01:49AM -0400, Ell wrote:
> There are other similar inconsistencies across the different filters.
> It would be nice if we made sure they're better aligned before 2.10.

yes, definitely!

Said and done like a wizard, great! :-)

--

Marco Ciampa