Very few of my posts show on the list...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Very few of my posts show on the list...

"Rikard Johnels"
How come most of my posts and replies to posts doesn't end up here on the
list?

--

         /Rikard

" Sharing knowledge is the most fundamental act of friendship.
Because it is a way you can give something without loosing something."
                -R. Stallman

---------------------------------------------------------------
Rikard Johnels          email   : [hidden email]
                        Mob     : +46 763 19 76 25
                        PGP     : 0x461CEE56
---------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Very few of my posts show on the list...

Andreas Waechter
> How come most of my posts and replies to posts doesn't end up here on the
> list?

When replying, make sure you reply to the list.

Default when replying is that the mail goes to the person
who sent the mail, NOT to the list.

Andreas
_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Very few of my posts show on the list...

"Rikard Johnels"
On Wednesday 25 May 2005 00.40, Andreas Waechter wrote:

> > How come most of my posts and replies to posts doesn't end up here on the
> > list?
>
> When replying, make sure you reply to the list.
>
> Default when replying is that the mail goes to the person
> who sent the mail, NOT to the list.
>
> Andreas
> _______________________________________________
> Gimp-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

I know. And thats what i do. (both originator and list)
--

         /Rikard

" Sharing knowledge is the most fundamental act of friendship.
Because it is a way you can give something without loosing something."
                -R. Stallman

---------------------------------------------------------------
Rikard Johnels          email   : [hidden email]
                        Mob     : +46 763 19 76 25
                        PGP     : 0x461CEE56
---------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Very few of my posts show on the list...

Patrick Shanahan
* Rikard Johnels <[hidden email]> [05-24-05 18:37]:
> I know. And thats what i do. (both originator and list)

BUT, list mail, unless specifically requested, should be replied to
the *list* only.  Why generate an extra copy and the extra traffic by
sending the author *another* copy of a post he will see on the list
anyway?
--
Patrick Shanahan                        Registered Linux User #207535
http://wahoo.no-ip.org                        @ http://counter.li.org
HOG # US1244711          Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery
_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Very few of my posts show on the list...

"Rikard Johnels"
In reply to this post by "Rikard Johnels"
On Wednesday 25 May 2005 01.31, Rikard Johnels wrote:
> [hidden email]


And just to prove my point this thread (of course) works like a charm... :(
--

         /Rikard

" Sharing knowledge is the most fundamental act of friendship.
Because it is a way you can give something without loosing something."
                -R. Stallman

---------------------------------------------------------------
Rikard Johnels          email   : [hidden email]
                        Mob     : +46 763 19 76 25
                        PGP     : 0x461CEE56
---------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Very few of my posts show on the list...

"Rikard Johnels"
In reply to this post by Patrick Shanahan
On Wednesday 25 May 2005 01.41, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Rikard Johnels <[hidden email]> [05-24-05 18:37]:
> > I know. And thats what i do. (both originator and list)
>
> BUT, list mail, unless specifically requested, should be replied to
> the *list* only.  Why generate an extra copy and the extra traffic by
> sending the author *another* copy of a post he will see on the list
> anyway?

Security as this list has proved me unreliable when posting.
All other lists i am on never failed..

I dont WANT to sen double, but if its the only way to be sure i get the
answers through to the people i discuss with...


--

         /Rikard

" Sharing knowledge is the most fundamental act of friendship.
Because it is a way you can give something without loosing something."
                -R. Stallman

---------------------------------------------------------------
Rikard Johnels          email   : [hidden email]
                        Mob     : +46 763 19 76 25
                        PGP     : 0x461CEE56
---------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Very few of my posts show on the list...

Owen-24

On Wed, 25 May 2005, Rikard Johnels wrote:

> On Wednesday 25 May 2005 01.41, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * Rikard Johnels <[hidden email]> [05-24-05 18:37]:
> > > I know. And thats what i do. (both originator and list)
> >
> > BUT, list mail, unless specifically requested, should be replied to
> > the *list* only.  Why generate an extra copy and the extra traffic by
> > sending the author *another* copy of a post he will see on the list
> > anyway?
>
> Security as this list has proved me unreliable when posting.
> All other lists i am on never failed..
>
> I dont WANT to sen double, but if its the only way to be sure i get the
> answers through to the people i discuss with...


Your message will get through. Just that there is a delay of 2 - 8 hours
before it is repropagated from the list mailer.



Owen

ps Probably the US Homeland Security mob holding it up. Certainly doesn't
happen on the European lists


_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Very few of my posts show on the list...

Carol Spears
In reply to this post by "Rikard Johnels"
On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 07:21:15AM +0200, Rikard Johnels wrote:

> On Wednesday 25 May 2005 01.41, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * Rikard Johnels <[hidden email]> [05-24-05 18:37]:
> > > I know. And thats what i do. (both originator and list)
> >
> > BUT, list mail, unless specifically requested, should be replied to
> > the *list* only.  Why generate an extra copy and the extra traffic by
> > sending the author *another* copy of a post he will see on the list
> > anyway?
>
> Security as this list has proved me unreliable when posting.
> All other lists i am on never failed..
>
> I dont WANT to sen double, but if its the only way to be sure i get the
> answers through to the people i discuss with...
>
the gimp-user list is running very slowly lately.  i would be curious as
to how many are on the maillist....

i have not configured my mailer very much, therefore, i try to answer
emails that were sent to the list back to the list and emails that i
know came from an individual to the individual.  the emphasis should be
on the "try".  i can see from the headers if the email was also sent to
the list or not, whether i actually look at those is another emotionally
charged question.

right now, you are making a mistake i often make -- although, i think
you make it on purpose.  we had quite an exchange via email and most of
that i think i sent directly to you and not to the list.  i relaxed and
typed as if i were typing to a thinking adult since there were words in
the emails that did not fit on a public mail list -- installing things
can be frustrating.

can i ask that you paste some (perhaps not all) of the spew you got from
when you tried to install the gimp-perl tarball?  not only is the line
about the cat interesting, but also the "install pdl" and "please do not
install the pdl" error messages.  send this to the whole list and await
for the list to mail it out.

i was apologizing to you (directly) for suse, even though i had nothing
to do with this distribution (to the best of my knowledge).

can i ask you personally as well as publically ... did you pay for your
suse installation and what did you expect when you installed it?

carol

_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Very few of my posts show on the list...

"Rikard Johnels"
On Wednesday 25 May 2005 12.07, Carol Spears wrote:

> On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 07:21:15AM +0200, Rikard Johnels wrote:
> > On Wednesday 25 May 2005 01.41, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > > * Rikard Johnels <[hidden email]> [05-24-05 18:37]:
> > > > I know. And thats what i do. (both originator and list)
> > >
> > > BUT, list mail, unless specifically requested, should be replied to
> > > the *list* only.  Why generate an extra copy and the extra traffic by
> > > sending the author *another* copy of a post he will see on the list
> > > anyway?
> >
> > Security as this list has proved me unreliable when posting.
> > All other lists i am on never failed..
> >
> > I dont WANT to sen double, but if its the only way to be sure i get the
> > answers through to the people i discuss with...
>
> the gimp-user list is running very slowly lately.  i would be curious as
> to how many are on the maillist....
>
> i have not configured my mailer very much, therefore, i try to answer
> emails that were sent to the list back to the list and emails that i
> know came from an individual to the individual.  the emphasis should be
> on the "try".  i can see from the headers if the email was also sent to
> the list or not, whether i actually look at those is another emotionally
> charged question.
>
> right now, you are making a mistake i often make -- although, i think
> you make it on purpose.  we had quite an exchange via email and most of
> that i think i sent directly to you and not to the list.  i relaxed and
> typed as if i were typing to a thinking adult since there were words in
> the emails that did not fit on a public mail list -- installing things
> can be frustrating.
>
> can i ask that you paste some (perhaps not all) of the spew you got from
> when you tried to install the gimp-perl tarball?  not only is the line
> about the cat interesting, but also the "install pdl" and "please do not
> install the pdl" error messages.  send this to the whole list and await
> for the list to mail it out.
>
> i was apologizing to you (directly) for suse, even though i had nothing
> to do with this distribution (to the best of my knowledge).
>
> can i ask you personally as well as publically ... did you pay for your
> suse installation and what did you expect when you installed it?
>
> carol
Thats just the point!
I send a cc to the list at all times and have done so along our conversation.
And they just dont show up

--

         /Rikard

" Sharing knowledge is the most fundamental act of friendship.
Because it is a way you can give something without loosing something."
                -R. Stallman

---------------------------------------------------------------
Rikard Johnels          email   : [hidden email]
                        Mob     : +46 763 19 76 25
                        PGP     : 0x461CEE56
---------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Very few of my posts show on the list...

"Rikard Johnels"
In reply to this post by Owen-24
On Wednesday 25 May 2005 10.50, Owen Cook wrote:

> On Wed, 25 May 2005, Rikard Johnels wrote:
> > On Wednesday 25 May 2005 01.41, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > > * Rikard Johnels <[hidden email]> [05-24-05 18:37]:
> > > > I know. And thats what i do. (both originator and list)
> > >
> > > BUT, list mail, unless specifically requested, should be replied to
> > > the *list* only.  Why generate an extra copy and the extra traffic by
> > > sending the author *another* copy of a post he will see on the list
> > > anyway?
> >
> > Security as this list has proved me unreliable when posting.
> > All other lists i am on never failed..
> >
> > I dont WANT to sen double, but if its the only way to be sure i get the
> > answers through to the people i discuss with...
>
> Your message will get through. Just that there is a delay of 2 - 8 hours
> before it is repropagated from the list mailer.
>
>
>
> Owen
>
> ps Probably the US Homeland Security mob holding it up. Certainly doesn't
> happen on the European lists
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Gimp-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

It has been DAYS!
And even weeks...

--

         /Rikard

" Sharing knowledge is the most fundamental act of friendship.
Because it is a way you can give something without loosing something."
                -R. Stallman

---------------------------------------------------------------
Rikard Johnels          email   : [hidden email]
                        Mob     : +46 763 19 76 25
                        PGP     : 0x461CEE56
---------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Very few of my posts show on the list...

Michael Schumacher
Von: Rikard Johnels <[hidden email]>

> It has been DAYS!

I'ts not that uncommon for a mailing list to have a queue time of one or two
days.

> And even weeks...

This, however, can't be considered normal. IIRC, the mailing list system is
slow, but not that slow. Manish Singh should be able to provide details
about it (Carol, do you know anything per chance?)


Michael

--
Weitersagen: GMX DSL-Flatrates mit Tempo-Garantie!
Ab 4,99 Euro/Monat: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl
_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Very few of my posts show on the list...

Carol Spears
On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 01:36:09PM +0200, Michael Schumacher wrote:
>
> This, however, can't be considered normal. IIRC, the mailing list system is
> slow, but not that slow. Manish Singh should be able to provide details
> about it (Carol, do you know anything per chance?)
>
i do not know anything.

i suggested that we attach a household window fan to the top of the
computer called beta earlier this week (it was having heat problems at
berkeley) when i learned that this computer has a broken motherboard.

this was interesting news as no one has touched it since i came to
california.  i was also told that it is common knowledge that this
computer is not able to be repaired.

i would like to know if anyone else has been able to determine a
computers health without touching it or plugging it in?

carol

_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Very few of my posts show on the list...

Michael Schumacher
Von: Carol Spears <[hidden email]>

> i suggested that we attach a household window fan to the top of the
> computer called beta earlier this week (it was having heat problems at
> berkeley) when i learned that this computer has a broken motherboard.
>
> this was interesting news as no one has touched it since i came to
> california.  i was also told that it is common knowledge that this
> computer is not able to be repaired.

Only for suitable values of "common", IMO...
Well, as we don't know how to spend the donated money, I guess that we
should consider to buy buying one (or two, to have some redundancy?) decent,
priceworthy system for the mailing list, ftp and web servers gimp.org needs?
 
> i would like to know if anyone else has been able to determine a
> computers health without touching it or plugging it in?

Telepathy - or, as it is not plugged in, necromancy(sp?)?


Michael

--
Weitersagen: GMX DSL-Flatrates mit Tempo-Garantie!
Ab 4,99 Euro/Monat: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl
_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Very few of my posts show on the list...

Carol Spears
On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 05:32:47PM +0200, Michael Schumacher wrote:

> Von: Carol Spears <[hidden email]>
>
> > i suggested that we attach a household window fan to the top of the
> > computer called beta earlier this week (it was having heat problems at
> > berkeley) when i learned that this computer has a broken motherboard.
> >
> > this was interesting news as no one has touched it since i came to
> > california.  i was also told that it is common knowledge that this
> > computer is not able to be repaired.
>
> Only for suitable values of "common", IMO...
> Well, as we don't know how to spend the donated money, I guess that we
> should consider to buy buying one (or two, to have some redundancy?) decent,
> priceworthy system for the mailing list, ftp and web servers gimp.org needs?
>  
> > i would like to know if anyone else has been able to determine a
> > computers health without touching it or plugging it in?
>
> Telepathy - or, as it is not plugged in, necromancy(sp?)?
>
that is what i think also -- that there should be some power applied
before it can change status like that.

i rather liked the berkeley ip when i first got started with gimp.
since then, it seems like there are only 1.25 gimp people who have
access to hardware there.

the way my current take what sort of nightmare i am having is this, that
the mozilla people around the berkeley area will never finish with gimp
resources and that they might need to be physically removed from them.

i am impressed with my own ability to figure out what is going wrong
with software, i wonder if the same is true for my ability to figure out
what is wrong with the people making software?

carol

_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Very few of my posts show on the list...

Manish Singh-2
In reply to this post by "Rikard Johnels"
On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 12:15:15PM +0200, Rikard Johnels wrote:
> Thats just the point!
> I send a cc to the list at all times and have done so along our conversation.
> And they just dont show up

You have nodupes turned on in your list subscription settings. Turn it
off you don't like it (this isn't the default, so you must have turned
it on at some point).

-Yosh
_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Very few of my posts show on the list... (SOLVED!)

"Rikard Johnels"
In reply to this post by "Rikard Johnels"
On Wednesday 25 May 2005 01.49, Rikard Johnels wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 May 2005 01.31, Rikard Johnels wrote:
> > [hidden email]
>
> And just to prove my point this thread (of course) works like a charm... :(

It is with MUCH embarrassment i can report the solution of the problem;

I had a fetchmail daemon pulling mail from my POP# account as well as my
ordinary KMail..
Thus a random number of mail got "lost" on the way.
(I forgot to check the fetchmail queue)

Sorry to have wasted bandwidth with this...
--

         /Rikard

" Sharing knowledge is the most fundamental act of friendship.
Because it is a way you can give something without loosing something."
                -R. Stallman

---------------------------------------------------------------
Rikard Johnels          email   : [hidden email]
                        Mob     : +46 763 19 76 25
                        PGP     : 0x461CEE56
---------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user