VPAT Software Request

Users mailing list
Good afternoon;

    My name is Godswill Peter and I work for the Texas A&M University
Engineering and Experiment Station as a student assistant, I hope this
email finds you well. I am emailing you to request the VPAT for your
software (GIMP), as it is required that all software we use here at Texas
A&M University has their own VPAT. Please get back to me as soon as
possible.

Thank you,

Godswill Peter

Student Assistant

Texas A&M University Engineering and Experiment Station

Suite 102

Re: VPAT Software Request

Users mailing list
On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 9:49 AM Godswill Peter via gimp-user-list
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good afternoon;
>
>     My name is Godswill Peter and I work for the Texas A&M University
> Engineering and Experiment Station as a student assistant, I hope this
> email finds you well. I am emailing you to request the VPAT for your
> software (GIMP), as it is required that all software we use here at Texas
> A&M University has their own VPAT. Please get back to me as soon as
> possible.

Please see https://www.gimp.org/about/ITI-VPAT.pdf

Re: VPAT Software Request

Gene Heskett-2
On Friday 12 June 2020 03:33:01 Alexandre Prokoudine via gimp-user-list
wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 9:49 AM Godswill Peter via gimp-user-list
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Good afternoon;
> >
> >     My name is Godswill Peter and I work for the Texas A&M
> > University Engineering and Experiment Station as a student
> > assistant, I hope this email finds you well. I am emailing you to
> > request the VPAT for your software (GIMP), as it is required that
> > all software we use here at Texas A&M University has their own VPAT.
> > Please get back to me as soon as possible.
>
> Please see https://www.gimp.org/about/ITI-VPAT.pdf

Page does not render in chromium.

> Alex

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: VPAT Software Request

Michael Schumacher

On 6/12/20 9:57 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Friday 12 June 2020 03:33:01 Alexandre Prokoudine via gimp-user-list
> wrote:

>> Please see https://www.gimp.org/about/ITI-VPAT.pdf
>
> Page does not render in chromium.

That's a PDF file, IIRC created with LibreOffice. Are there any known
issues that Chromium has displaying such files?

Re: VPAT Software Request

Robert Krawitz-2
On 6/12/20 4:15 AM, Michael Schumacher wrote:

> On 6/12/20 9:57 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>> On Friday 12 June 2020 03:33:01 Alexandre Prokoudine via gimp-user-list
>> wrote:
>
>>> Please see https://www.gimp.org/about/ITI-VPAT.pdf
>>
>> Page does not render in chromium.
>
> That's a PDF file, IIRC created with LibreOffice. Are there any known
> issues that Chromium has displaying such files?

Confirmed; it doesn't render for me either.  Two other PDFs I tried
(https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-dashboard-june-11-2020/download and
https://mitathletics.com/general/2019-20/releases/coloringbook.pdf) do render.

Re: VPAT Software Request

Gene Heskett-2
On Friday 12 June 2020 04:15:49 Michael Schumacher wrote:

> On 6/12/20 9:57 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Friday 12 June 2020 03:33:01 Alexandre Prokoudine via
> > gimp-user-list
> >
> > wrote:
> >> Please see https://www.gimp.org/about/ITI-VPAT.pdf
> >
> > Page does not render in chromium.
>
> That's a PDF file, IIRC created with LibreOffice. Are there any known
> issues that Chromium has displaying such files?

Not that I'm aware of Michael. Other 'pdf's have worked fine. This opens
a 1 page screen with a little square in the center, and stops, nothing
else and I gave it a couple minutes. I just looked in chromiums perfs,
but did not see a "file" reporter at 1st glance.

> --
> Regards,
> Michael
> GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: VPAT Software Request

Michael Schumacher

On 6/12/20 2:24 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Friday 12 June 2020 04:15:49 Michael Schumacher wrote:
>
>> On 6/12/20 9:57 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> On Friday 12 June 2020 03:33:01 Alexandre Prokoudine via
>>> gimp-user-list

>>> Page does not render in chromium.
>>
>> That's a PDF file, IIRC created with LibreOffice. Are there any known
>> issues that Chromium has displaying such files?
>>
> Not that I'm aware of Michael. Other 'pdf's have worked fine. This opens
> a 1 page screen with a little square in the center, and stops, nothing
> else and I gave it a couple minutes. I just looked in chromiums perfs,
> but did not see a "file" reporter at 1st glance.

You could file a bug for Chromium and have them examine what, if
anything, is the issue with the file and/or Chromium.
The PDF works with Firefox.

The original ODT and a DOC version are available as well:

https://www.gimp.org/about/ITI-VPAT.odt
https://www.gimp.org/about/ITI-VPAT.doc

Could be that simply exporting the ODT to PDF with LibreOffice will now
create a PDF file Chromium does like, maybe you could try this?

Re: VPAT Software Request

On Fri, 12 Jun 2020, Robert Krawitz wrote:
> Confirmed; it doesn't render for me either.  Two other PDFs I tried

Chrome is **not** a pdf viewer, please use a proper one, there are
billions out there.

Using a browser from PDF viewing is something like a last resort...

Norbert

--
PREINING Norbert                              https://www.preining.info
Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev

Re: VPAT Software Request

Gene Heskett-2
On Friday 12 June 2020 08:33:47 Michael Schumacher wrote:

> On 6/12/20 2:24 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> That's a PDF file, IIRC created with LibreOffice. Are there any
> >> known issues that Chromium has displaying such files?
> >
> > Not that I'm aware of Michael. Other 'pdf's have worked fine. This
> > opens a 1 page screen with a little square in the center, and stops,
> > nothing else and I gave it a couple minutes. I just looked in
> > chromiums perfs, but did not see a "file" reporter at 1st glance.
>
> You could file a bug for Chromium and have them examine what, if
> anything, is the issue with the file and/or Chromium.
> The PDF works with Firefox.
>
> The original ODT and a DOC version are available as well:
>
> https://www.gimp.org/about/ITI-VPAT.odt
clicking on this, also opens a blank page, with the .odt name in the
lower left corner. double-clicking on that opens libreoffice and shows
it, and will export a ITI.VPAT(1).pdf that chromiun can display just
fine.

> https://www.gimp.org/about/ITI-VPAT.doc

I didn't try this .doc link.
Point being that a good .pdf just works, this doesn't without loading
the .odt and reprocessing it.

On 6/12/20 2:35 PM, Norbert Preining via gimp-user-list wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jun 2020, Robert Krawitz wrote:
>> Confirmed; it doesn't render for me either.  Two other PDFs I tried
>
> Chrome is **not** a pdf viewer, please use a proper one, there are
> billions out there.
>
> Using a browser from PDF viewing is something like a last resort...

More like the norm, at least for PDF files which are available online.

@Robert: as I wrote in my reply to Gene, it would be nice if you could
file an issue for Chromium (or contribute to an existing one, if there's
one already), to make sure that the Chromium developers know about this
and can examine it.

Re: VPAT Software Request

Gene Heskett-2
On Friday 12 June 2020 08:55:34 Michael Schumacher wrote:

> On 6/12/20 2:35 PM, Norbert Preining via gimp-user-list wrote:
> > On Fri, 12 Jun 2020, Robert Krawitz wrote:
> >> Confirmed; it doesn't render for me either.  Two other PDFs I tried
> >
> > Chrome is **not** a pdf viewer, please use a proper one, there are
> > billions out there.
> >
> > Using a browser from PDF viewing is something like a last resort...
>
> More like the norm, at least for PDF files which are available online.
>

> @Robert: as I wrote in my reply to Gene, it would be nice if you could
> file an issue for Chromium (or contribute to an existing one, if
> there's one already), to make sure that the Chromium developers know
> about this and can examine it.
As for my raising a bug, sorry but my Missus is in the shop with end
stage copd, and I don't have time to fool with it. All I was doing is
reporting the failure, and with Michaels help took the odt, re-exported
it as a pdf, and chromium then displayed it properly.  That tells me
something is wrong with the pdf.  And that it can be fixed by reloading
the odt and re-exporting it to a proper pdf format.

On 6/12/20 8:35 AM, Norbert Preining via gimp-user-list wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jun 2020, Robert Krawitz wrote:
>> Confirmed; it doesn't render for me either.  Two other PDFs I tried
>
> Chrome is **not** a pdf viewer, please use a proper one, there are
> billions out there.
>
> Using a browser from PDF viewing is something like a last resort...

For an online PDF, accessed via an http: or https: link?

Re: VPAT Software Request

Robert Krawitz-2
On 6/12/20 8:55 AM, Michael Schumacher wrote:

> On 6/12/20 2:35 PM, Norbert Preining via gimp-user-list wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 12 Jun 2020, Robert Krawitz wrote:
>>> Confirmed; it doesn't render for me either.  Two other PDFs I tried
>>
>> Chrome is **not** a pdf viewer, please use a proper one, there are
>> billions out there.
>>
>> Using a browser from PDF viewing is something like a last resort...
>
> More like the norm, at least for PDF files which are available online.
>
> @Robert: as I wrote in my reply to Gene, it would be nice if you could
> file an issue for Chromium (or contribute to an existing one, if there's
> one already), to make sure that the Chromium developers know about this
> and can examine it.

Yeah, our emails crossed...

Filed https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1094327

The PDF actually does render, just as a vertically narrow strip at the top of the window rather than
using the whole window.

Re: VPAT Software Request

On Fri, 2020-06-12 at 09:06 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> As for my raising a bug, sorry but my Missus is in the shop with end
> stage copd, and I don't have time to fool with it.

I'm so sorry to hear this.

>  All I was doing is
> reporting the failure, and with Michaels help took the odt, re-
> exported
> it as a pdf, and chromium then displayed it properly.

What operating system are youy using? Is it a Mac?

I think this is a PDF that i created, and if so, it was by exporting
from libreoffice.

The PDF file renders fine here, but it might well be a font format
issue.

Full-time slave in voluntary servitude

Re: VPAT Software Request

Robert Krawitz-2

See the bug report I filed on Linux (https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1094327)

> I think this is a PDF that i created, and if so, it was by exporting
> from libreoffice.
>
> The PDF file renders fine here, but it might well be a font format
> issue.

The PDF rendered fine (at least for me); the problem was with the viewport into it.

Re: VPAT Software Request

Rick Strong-2
FWIW, the PDF renders fine in Explorer. The viewport in Chrome is there but
only about 2 inches high. You can read it by scrolling--a lot! (I usually
use Chrome).

Rick S.

wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 9:49 AM Godswill Peter via gimp-user-list
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Good afternoon;
> >
> >     My name is Godswill Peter and I work for the Texas A&M
> > University Engineering and Experiment Station as a student
> > assistant, I hope this email finds you well. I am emailing you to
> > request the VPAT for your software (GIMP), as it is required that
> > all software we use here at Texas A&M University has their own VPAT.
> > Please get back to me as soon as possible.
>
> Please see https://www.gimp.org/about/ITI-VPAT.pdf

Page does not render in chromium.

> Alex

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
- Louis D. Brandeis

Re: VPAT Software Request

Users mailing list
On 6/12/20 11:55 AM, Rick Strong wrote:
> FWIW, the PDF renders fine in Explorer. The viewport in Chrome is
> there but only about 2 inches high. You can read it by scrolling--a
> lot! (I usually use Chrome).
>
> Rick S.

It opens fine in Firefox (on Linux) as well.

Peace...

Tom

> -----Original Message----- From: Gene Heskett
> Sent: Friday, June 12, 2020 3:57 AM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] VPAT Software Request
>
> On Friday 12 June 2020 03:33:01 Alexandre Prokoudine via gimp-user-list
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 9:49 AM Godswill Peter via gimp-user-list
>>
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Good afternoon;
>> >
>> >     My name is Godswill Peter and I work for the Texas A&M
>> > University Engineering and Experiment Station as a student
>> > assistant, I hope this email finds you well. I am emailing you to
>> > request the VPAT for your software (GIMP), as it is required that
>> > all software we use here at Texas A&M University has their own VPAT.
>> > Please get back to me as soon as possible.
>>
>> Please see https://www.gimp.org/about/ITI-VPAT.pdf
>
> Page does not render in chromium.
>
>> Alex
>

> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Re: VPAT Software Request

Robert Krawitz-2
On 6/12/20 11:37 AM, Liam R E Quin wrote:

> On Fri, 2020-06-12 at 09:06 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>
>> As for my raising a bug, sorry but my Missus is in the shop with end
>> stage copd, and I don't have time to fool with it.
>
> I'm so sorry to hear this.
>
>>  All I was doing is
>> reporting the failure, and with Michaels help took the odt, re-
>> exported
>> it as a pdf, and chromium then displayed it properly.
>
> What operating system are youy using? Is it a Mac?
>
> I think this is a PDF that i created, and if so, it was by exporting
> from libreoffice.
>
> The PDF file renders fine here, but it might well be a font format
> issue.

It's a Chrom* issue, will be fixed in 84.

Re: VPAT Software Request

On 2020-06-12 12:55, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 12 June 2020 08:33:47 Michael Schumacher wrote:
<snip>

>> https://www.gimp.org/about/ITI-VPAT.odt
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> clicking on this, also opens a blank page, with the .odt name in the
> lower left corner. double-clicking on that opens libreoffice and shows
> it, and will export a ITI.VPAT(1).pdf that chromiun can display just
> fine.
>
>> https://www.gimp.org/about/ITI-VPAT.doc
>
> I didn't try this .doc link.
> Point being that a good .pdf just works, this doesn't without loading
> the .odt and reprocessing it.
>
>> Could be that simply exporting the ODT to PDF with LibreOffice will
>> now create a PDF file Chromium does like, maybe you could try this?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Michael
>> GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
>

> Cheers, Gene Heskett

This is a good PDF, Firefox on Windows 10 Pro. The problem exists with
Chromium or your particular setup.
--
Sincerely,

Joseph A. Nagy, Jr.
Need a website? Go with the pros:
http://www.bluehost.com/track/janagyjr
https://www.coinbase.com/join/51f062d0be46074e9300003f

Re: VPAT Software Request

Ruben Safir
On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 02:55:34PM +0200, Michael Schumacher wrote:

> On 6/12/20 2:35 PM, Norbert Preining via gimp-user-list wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 12 Jun 2020, Robert Krawitz wrote:
> >> Confirmed; it doesn't render for me either.  Two other PDFs I tried
> >
> > Chrome is **not** a pdf viewer, please use a proper one, there are
> > billions out there.
> >
> > Using a browser from PDF viewing is something like a last resort...
>
> More like the norm, at least for PDF files which are available online.

Only if you are suicidal about secturity.  PDF includes a full on
programming language with in secure access to your system.  Allowing the
broswer to display it directly might make adobe happy, but it is not
just unwise, it is flatout stupid.

Use a plug in and a real PDF viewer.

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.nylxs.com - Leadership Development in Free Software