Using the Gradient tool

Roundball
I'm locked into Photoshop until I can figure out how to use the gradient tool.
I shoot catalog work, and I want to use GIMP and the Linux platform.  However PS
has me locked into the windows world.

I shoot everything on a white background.  Sometimes it's not as white as I
want, and I need to tweak the corners.  In PS I use the gradient tool, in the
fashion of ForeGround  [white] to transparent at around 75% opacity.

I allows me to add a bit of white in the corners by dragging from the outside of
the image to just inside it.

How can this be done efficiently using GIMP.  Minimal steps required is a bonus.

Thank you

--
SayCheeze (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Using the Gradient tool

Roundball
>I'm locked into Photoshop until I can figure out how to use the
>gradient tool.  I shoot catalog work, and I want to use GIMP and the
>Linux platform.  However PS has me locked into the windows world.
>
>I shoot everything on a white background.  Sometimes it's not as white
>as I want, and I need to tweak the corners.  In PS I use the gradient
>tool, in the fashion of ForeGround  [white] to transparent at around
>75% opacity.
>
>I allows me to add a bit of white in the corners by dragging from the
>outside of the image to just inside it.
>
>How can this be done efficiently using GIMP.  Minimal steps required
>is a bonus.
>
>Thank you

I think you should go for the development version of Gimp currently 2.9.5

Easiest way for that in linux is Ubuntu (or derivative such as Mint) where Gimp
2.9.5 can be installed via a ppa see:

https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulasch/+archive/ubuntu/gimp-edge

The advantage is most of the tools are previewed on the canvas in use. So for
the gradient tool, using transparent to white, radial mode and a suitable offset
you can check if any vignette remains before committing the gradient.

example: http://i.imgur.com/VzDd7cS.jpg isolated half with a selection for
comparison purpose.

Still using Windows? try www.partha.com

Using the Gradient tool

Roundball
>I think you should go for the development version of Gimp currently
>2.9.5
>
>Easiest way for that in linux is Ubuntu (or derivative such as Mint)
>where Gimp 2.9.5 can be installed via a ppa see:
>
>https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulasch/+archive/ubuntu/gimp-edge
>
>The advantage is most of the tools are previewed on the canvas in use.
>So for the gradient tool, using transparent to white, radial mode and
>a suitable offset you can check if any vignette remains before
>committing the gradient.
>
>example: http://i.imgur.com/VzDd7cS.jpg isolated half with a selection
>for comparison purpose.
>
>Still using Windows? try www.partha.com

Thanks Rich.  I did find the solution.  It was starring me in the face the whole
time.  I'm usually under a crunch for time, so I need to find an editor, and I
think GIMP will do.
All I really do to these images is barely tweak exposure, gradient white to
transparent and save to PSD files for the layout person.  I sharpen them with a
PS batch file, then throw them on the network for her.

--
SayCheeze (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Using the Gradient tool

Roundball
>Thanks Rich.  I did find the solution.  It was starring me in the face
>the whole time.  I'm usually under a crunch for time, so I need to
>find an editor, and I think GIMP will do.
>All I really do to these images is barely tweak exposure, gradient
>white to transparent and save to PSD files for the layout person.  I
>sharpen them with a PS batch file, then throw them on the network for
>her.

Well,  I haven't touched GIMP in a week or so,  I wanted to try out the gradient
tool again foreground to transparent, and I can't remember how to do it.  I can
find the tool, but not foreground to transparent...

Help please...   Pretty please...

--
SayCheeze (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Using the Gradient tool

Owen-24
On Wed, 24 May 2017 02:23:06 +0200
SayCheeze <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >Thanks Rich.  I did find the solution.  It was starring me in the
> >face the whole time.  I'm usually under a crunch for time, so I need
> >to find an editor, and I think GIMP will do.
> >All I really do to these images is barely tweak exposure, gradient
> >white to transparent and save to PSD files for the layout person.  I
> >sharpen them with a PS batch file, then throw them on the network for
> >her.
>

> Well,  I haven't touched GIMP in a week or so,  I wanted to try out
> the gradient tool again foreground to transparent, and I can't
> remember how to do it.  I can find the tool, but not foreground to
> transparent...
>
> Help please...   Pretty please...

Tools->Paint Tools->Blend->Click on the gradient icon to select desired
gradient

Or get there by clicking on the blend icon in the toolbox

Owen

Using the Gradient tool

Roundball
>Well,  I haven't touched GIMP in a week or so,  I wanted to try out
>the gradient tool again foreground to transparent, and I can't
>remember how to do it.  I can find the tool, but not foreground to
>transparent...
>
>Help please...   Pretty please...

Oh dear....

It is in the gradient tool options. Default is FG to BG click in the icon as
screenshot and you get a drop down list of available gradients. Choose the FG to
transparent. Note little 2 way arrow to swap direction.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/590/original/fg2trans.jpg

Re: Using the Gradient tool

On 05/24/17 02:23, SayCheeze wrote:

>> Thanks Rich.  I did find the solution.  It was starring me in the face
>> the whole time.  I'm usually under a crunch for time, so I need to
>> find an editor, and I think GIMP will do.
>> All I really do to these images is barely tweak exposure, gradient
>> white to transparent and save to PSD files for the layout person.  I
>> sharpen them with a PS batch file, then throw them on the network for
>> her.
>
> Well,  I haven't touched GIMP in a week or so,  I wanted to try out the gradient
> tool again foreground to transparent, and I can't remember how to do it.  I can
> find the tool, but not foreground to transparent...
>
> Help please...   Pretty please...

Name is "FG to transparent" and it's the 5th  in the list.

Using the Gradient tool

Roundball
>Name is "FG to transparent" and it's the 5th  in the list.

found it "again"...

appreciate it.

--
SayCheeze (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)