Using rotary encoders etc.

chrisj
Something which has always been a frustration is that, generally, MIDI control
surfaces are thought of as a music-only thing, to some degree.

What I'd love to be able to easily do in GIMP, is to plug in, e.g. a control
surface like a Behringer BCR2000 (large number of rotary encoders), and
configure it so that I can change e.g. colours or brush sizes by twiddle knobs
on the controller. More generally, a way that I can send messages to GIMP from
anywhere to do things like changing brush size. From GIMP's end, all you really
need is a generic 'numerical event' functionality, and then separate daemons
which listen to other events, and send appropriate messages to GIMP.

--
Chalisque (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Using rotary encoders etc.

Casey Connor-2

> What I'd love to be able to easily do in GIMP, is to plug in, e.g. a control
> surface like a Behringer BCR2000 (large number of rotary encoders), and
> configure it so that I can change e.g. colours or brush sizes by twiddle knobs
> on the controller.

YES! Hold the phone, though, have you seen this?
https://www.gimp.org/unix/howtos/gimp-midi.html

Maybe it's not as simple as you were hoping for. (It's also an old page,
not sure what the current state of affairs is.)

> More generally, a way that I can send messages to GIMP from
> anywhere to do things like changing brush size. From GIMP's end, all you really
> need is a generic 'numerical event' functionality, and then separate daemons
> which listen to other events, and send appropriate messages to GIMP.

Could GIMPs scripting interface be used in this way? I.e. could a third
party whip up a go-between that translated MIDI events into python API
calls, etc?

In this thread
<http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-user/14888-midi-controllers-for-controlling-brush-size-and-colors-was-save-export-complaints>
(2012) Alexandre Prkoudine says "We just need to patch GIMP to support
JACK and Jack Session" -- it appears this stuff has been thought about.
I've only googled searched for 30 seconds... but thanks for the idea. My
tablet is not performing as I'd hoped (on linux, due to lack of OS
support) so I'm looking for easy ways to change brush size, zoom, etc.

-c