Unable to open saved psd files

rich2005
Have just opened a dozen jpg files in Gimp and made adjustments and saved as
.psd files. No programme here with open these files and now I find that even
Gimp wont open the files just created.

Can anyone help please?
Mark

--
Stedders (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Unable to open saved psd files

Michael Schumacher
On 06/22/2017 04:14 PM, Stedders wrote:

> Have just opened a dozen jpg files in Gimp and made adjustments and saved as
> .psd files. No programme here with open these files and now I find that even
> Gimp wont open the files just created.

Can you tell us what version of GIMP this was, what you did, and can you
make one of the files you have exported to PSD available for download?

Unable to open saved psd files

rich2005
>Can you tell us what version of GIMP this was, what you did, and can
>you
>make one of the files you have exported to PSD available for download?

Thank you Michael for your quick reply.  My Gimp is ver. 2.8.20     I think I
have found the answer. When I came to send you a file as requested, it failed
due to the file size being too big. I imported an original file into Gimp and
reduced the size somewhat and then exported to .psd and I could open it in my
other programmes with no problem. It's the very first time I have come across
this. Is it a known fact that large original camera files must be reduced in
size before exporting to .psd - or is this a general thing???

My project was correcting perspective on some building shots that a needed as
large as possible

Thanks again.
Stedders

On 06/22/2017 08:36 PM, Stedders wrote:

> Is it a known fact that large original camera files must be reduced in
> size before exporting to .psd - or is this a general thing???

No.

Can you provide the relevant features of the image - its size, for example?

Unable to open saved psd files

rich2005
>No.
>

>Can you provide the relevant features of the image - its size, for
>example?

This is one of the original images put into DropBox.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qvdn0i56x9h09e/IMG_0064.JPG?dl=0

I can send the same image as the .psd file if you wish.

Thanks again.   Stedders

--
Stedders (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Unable to open saved psd files

rich2005
>This is one of the original images put into DropBox.
>https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qvdn0i56x9h09e/IMG_0064.JPG?dl=0
>
>I can send the same image as the .psd file if you wish.
>
>Thanks again.   Stedders
I'm not the expert to answer this, but it may be related to memory usage in Gimp
- you can adjust that to a percentage of your available ram. I've done this and
found that Gimp runs better. It was locking up before.

--
nateart (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Unable to open saved psd files

rich2005
>I'm not the expert to answer this, but it may be related to memory
>usage in Gimp - you can adjust that to a percentage of your available
>ram. I've done this and found that Gimp runs better. It was locking up
>before.

Thanks for that suggestion. I'm also not an expert at most things relating to
computers so that rules me out of lots of things. Especially, I must add, that
I'm now aged 83 and unlikely to learn a lot more at my age.  In the project I am
doing I found that saving the edited files as .jpg  instead of .psd all seemed
OK.
Thanks again.  Stedders

Am 23.06.2017 um 08:40 schrieb Stedders:
>> No.
>>

>> Can you provide the relevant features of the image - its size, for
>> example?
>
> This is one of the original images put into DropBox.
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qvdn0i56x9h09e/IMG_0064.JPG?dl=0

Downloaded this file, imported it into GIMP 2.8.22, exported to PSD, and
encountered no problems when importing this again.

As you modified the file before exporting, this test is likely not
representative - can you describe the perspective transform you've applied?

Unable to open saved psd files

rich2005
>Am 23.06.2017 um 08:40 schrieb Stedders:
>Downloaded this file, imported it into GIMP 2.8.22, exported to PSD,
>and
>encountered no problems when importing this again.
>
>As you modified the file before exporting, this test is likely not
>representative - can you describe the perspective transform you've
>applied?

No problems here either, however

...did you look at the size of the file produced by Gimp and wonder why it is so
large.

Gimp creates the psd file with two identical layers. Imagemagick identify gives

IMG_0064.psd[0] PSD 3888x2592 3888x2592+0+0 8-bit DirectClass 55.44MB 0.690u
0:00.690

IMG_0064.psd[1] PSD 3888x2592 3888x2592+0+0 8-bit DirectClass 55.44MB 0.660u
0:00.660

Unable to open saved psd files

rich2005
>No problems here either, however
>
>...did you look at the size of the file produced by Gimp and wonder
>why it is so large.
>
>Gimp creates the psd file with two identical layers. Imagemagick
>identify gives
>
>IMG_0064.psd[0] PSD 3888x2592 3888x2592+0+0 8-bit DirectClass 55.44MB
>0.690u 0:00.690
>
>IMG_0064.psd[1] PSD 3888x2592 3888x2592+0+0 8-bit DirectClass 55.44MB
>0.660u 0:00.660

Thanks for the replies. I will admit that I know very little about file sizes
etc. Perhaps I should learn a lot more. However, I usually do what ever
adjustments needed to to a picture and then reduce its physical size to what I
think is appropriate for what I need. In this case it was a series of church
exteriors to use in a video editing time line as an AV sequence. My normal photo
editing programme is the Serif PhotoPlus and this has always suited me needs
with no problems. A friend recommended Gimp so I thought I would give it a
whirl. Therefore it came as some surprise that having exported a corrected
picture as a psd, that I could not open it again. I have now exported all the
pics from GIMP  as jpgs and no problem what-so-ever.  I realise that the problem
is most likely all my own fault so I must take time to learn more about the
technical side of things.

That jpg file I sent was a straight camera original - untouched so far as I
know. All I wanted to do was correct the verticals. I come from a past age when
so far as possible uprights in a photo should be upright. It's my age you know!

Thanks for your interest.

Steders.

--
Stedders (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)