UV mapping of OBJ???

Developers mailing list
Hello, I've just read an article at Gimp site (
https://www.gimp.org/news/2019/01/02/gimp-and-gegl-in-2018/ )  and here is
proposal of possible new feature mentioned there:

"There are all sorts of other interesting ideas for plug-ins, like UV
unwrapping
from OBJ files for texturing."

Is that really necessary in 2D editor? Let the 3D artist export UV
wireframe in 3D software of his / her choice into some 2D format and then
he / she can work on texture even with current version of Gimp. 3D software
suites today already have functionality for UV mapping and even painting
directly on the surface of model (resp. on mapped texture).
What would be benefits of such thing in Gimp?

Thanks for answer, Michal.

Re: UV mapping of OBJ???

Developers mailing list
On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 7:40 PM Michal VaĊĦut wrote:

> Hello, I've just read an article at Gimp site (
> https://www.gimp.org/news/2019/01/02/gimp-and-gegl-in-2018/ )  and here is
> proposal of possible new feature mentioned there:
>
> "There are all sorts of other interesting ideas for plug-ins, like UV
> unwrapping
> from OBJ files for texturing."
>
> Is that really necessary in 2D editor? Let the 3D artist export UV
> wireframe in 3D software of his / her choice into some 2D format and then
> he / she can work on texture even with current version of Gimp. 3D software
> suites today already have functionality for UV mapping and even painting
> directly on the surface of model (resp. on mapped texture).
> What would be benefits of such thing in Gimp?

The important word there is "ideas". Ideas are not endorsements or plans.

So you don't like the idea. That's perfectly OK. There are more ideas
in the bug tracker, some of which you might like.