URGENT - Authorization Use of Interface in Feature Film

URGENT - Authorization Use of Interface in Feature Film

Guilherme Dias
Hello,

My name is Guilherme, I work for "Zencrane Filmes", a brazilian production
company. We are in pre-production with our new feature "Jumbled 2" and we
would like to ask authorization for using GIMP's interface in one of our
scenes.

Our film is a comedy about four filmakers that tries to make a huge film of
succes, between a lot of fails. The scene with GIMP is a scene where one of
our characters is editing the poster of their fake movie. It has a tone of
comedy and irony as the whole film.

Would you be the responsible for this authorization? If you need we are
available to send you all the details that you find necessary for this
permission.

We have a few weeks left of our pre-production so our request have some
urgency. We'll be waiting for your reply.

Thank you in advance,
Best regards

Re: URGENT - Authorization Use of Interface in Feature Film

Users mailing list
I don’t believe there would any issues using GIMP in this way. It might
need an attribution in the credits though (or at least it would certainly
be nice - we’d love a link to the final movie to see!)

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 5:25 AM Guilherme Dias <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My name is Guilherme, I work for "Zencrane Filmes", a brazilian production
> company. We are in pre-production with our new feature "Jumbled 2" and we
> would like to ask authorization for using GIMP's interface in one of our
> scenes.
>
> Our film is a comedy about four filmakers that tries to make a huge film of
> succes, between a lot of fails. The scene with GIMP is a scene where one of
> our characters is editing the poster of their fake movie. It has a tone of
> comedy and irony as the whole film.
>
> Would you be the responsible for this authorization? If you need we are
> available to send you all the details that you find necessary for this
> permission.
>
> We have a few weeks left of our pre-production so our request have some
> urgency. We'll be waiting for your reply.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Best regards

https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC

Re: URGENT - Authorization Use of Interface in Feature Film

Users mailing list
Using GIMP in that way is absolutely fine and doesn't require authorization.

Mentioning GIMP in the credits is up to creators of the movie.

P.S. We are not used to being asked for that sort of thing. We usually
find out when users tell us they saw GIMP in this or that movie :)

Alex

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 12:54 AM Pat David via gimp-user-list
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don’t believe there would any issues using GIMP in this way. It might
> need an attribution in the credits though (or at least it would certainly
> be nice - we’d love a link to the final movie to see!)
>
> On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 5:25 AM Guilherme Dias <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > My name is Guilherme, I work for "Zencrane Filmes", a brazilian production
> > company. We are in pre-production with our new feature "Jumbled 2" and we
> > would like to ask authorization for using GIMP's interface in one of our
> > scenes.
> >
> > Our film is a comedy about four filmakers that tries to make a huge film of
> > succes, between a lot of fails. The scene with GIMP is a scene where one of
> > our characters is editing the poster of their fake movie. It has a tone of
> > comedy and irony as the whole film.
> >
> > Would you be the responsible for this authorization? If you need we are
> > available to send you all the details that you find necessary for this
> > permission.
> >
> > We have a few weeks left of our pre-production so our request have some
> > urgency. We'll be waiting for your reply.
> >
> > Thank you in advance,
> > Best regards
> >
> > --

> https://patdavid.net
> GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC

Re: URGENT - Authorization Use of Interface in Feature Film

Guilherme Dias
Hi Alexandre and Pat,

Thank you very much for both your replies. We know that films like ours
usually don’t ask for authorization to use only the interface, but we still
preferred to consult you and know for sure that there wouldn’t be any
objection on the part of you or your legal.

We understood from this email that you don't have it and that's great. It
would be nice for us to present to our distributors a confirmation from
your legal anyway, but we understand if you don’t consider it necessary.

Thanks again for the prompt answers and attention,

Kind regards

Em dom., 16 de fev. de 2020 às 19:03, Alexandre Prokoudine <
[hidden email]> escreveu:

> Using GIMP in that way is absolutely fine and doesn't require
> authorization.
>
> Mentioning GIMP in the credits is up to creators of the movie.
>
> P.S. We are not used to being asked for that sort of thing. We usually
> find out when users tell us they saw GIMP in this or that movie :)
>
> Alex
>
> On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 12:54 AM Pat David via gimp-user-list
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I don’t believe there would any issues using GIMP in this way. It might
> > need an attribution in the credits though (or at least it would certainly
> > be nice - we’d love a link to the final movie to see!)
> >
> > On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 5:25 AM Guilherme Dias <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > My name is Guilherme, I work for "Zencrane Filmes", a brazilian
> production
> > > company. We are in pre-production with our new feature "Jumbled 2" and
> we
> > > would like to ask authorization for using GIMP's interface in one of
> our
> > > scenes.
> > >
> > > Our film is a comedy about four filmakers that tries to make a huge
> film of
> > > succes, between a lot of fails. The scene with GIMP is a scene where
> one of
> > > our characters is editing the poster of their fake movie. It has a
> tone of
> > > comedy and irony as the whole film.
> > >
> > > Would you be the responsible for this authorization? If you need we are
> > > available to send you all the details that you find necessary for this
> > > permission.
> > >
> > > We have a few weeks left of our pre-production so our request have some
> > > urgency. We'll be waiting for your reply.
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance,
> > > Best regards
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > --
> > https://patdavid.net
> > GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC

Re: URGENT - Authorization Use of Interface in Feature Film

Users mailing list
We have no legal to send this kind of confirmation. We are not a company
really :)

Alex

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 1:47 AM Guilherme Dias <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Alexandre and Pat,
>
> Thank you very much for both your replies. We know that films like ours
> usually don’t ask for authorization to use only the interface, but we still
> preferred to consult you and know for sure that there wouldn’t be any
> objection on the part of you or your legal.
>
> We understood from this email that you don't have it and that's great. It
> would be nice for us to present to our distributors a confirmation from
> your legal anyway, but we understand if you don’t consider it necessary.
>
> Thanks again for the prompt answers and attention,
>
> Kind regards
>
> Em dom., 16 de fev. de 2020 às 19:03, Alexandre Prokoudine <
> [hidden email]> escreveu:
>
>> Using GIMP in that way is absolutely fine and doesn't require
>> authorization.
>>
>> Mentioning GIMP in the credits is up to creators of the movie.
>>
>> P.S. We are not used to being asked for that sort of thing. We usually
>> find out when users tell us they saw GIMP in this or that movie :)
>>
>> Alex
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 12:54 AM Pat David via gimp-user-list
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > I don’t believe there would any issues using GIMP in this way. It might
>> > need an attribution in the credits though (or at least it would
>> certainly
>> > be nice - we’d love a link to the final movie to see!)

>> production
>> and we
>> our

>> film of
>> one of
>> tone of

>> are

>> some

>> > --
>> > https://patdavid.net
>> > GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC

Re: URGENT - Authorization Use of Interface in Feature Film

Guilherme Dias
Hi Alex, so thank you for all the help and information :)

Best