UI/Tools Lagging (Windows 7)

billlee
I've got some issues that literally started this week. Last week, GIMP was
running nicely, as it always had. Since yesterday, it's been almost unusable.

I have tried upgrading to 2.10, uninstalling everything and reinstalling 2.10,
uninstalling everything again and downgrading to 2.8.22.

What IS working: loading, saving, and exporting are fine, they're no slower than
usual. Key commands for the tools work, mostly.

The issues:
1) Tools lagging: let's say I use the Clone tool. After making a selection, the
brush won't follow the cursor as I use the tool. When I clone over an area, the
brush stays at the point where I made my selection. When I click to make another
selection elsewhere, the brush jumps to the new point. Let's say I use the Free
Select tool. When I click to place an anchor point, the line between anchor
points doesn't follow the cursor as I move it to the next spot. The line will
only appear between anchor points when I place the next one.

2) UI not responding: I cannot click on tool buttons in the sidebar with mouse
or trackpad. I can't scroll up or down on the image with the mouse wheel. I also
can't use the mouse wheel to change the zoom or the tool settings, such as brush
size or angle.

3) Cursor not changing with tools: If I switch from Clone to Smudge, the Clone
icon on the cursor will not be replaced with the Smudge icon.

If I switch to another program and then back to GIMP, the issues resolve
themselves momentarily. They'll start again as soon as I do anything within the
program. Obviously, I can't be clicking back and forth between programs every 30
seconds.

Sometimes, the problems don't all happen together. But they're all happening and
none of these were an issue a few days ago. What can I do to try and address
this? What's a possible cause?

The computer: HP G62 running Windows 7. Processor: Intel Core i5 CPU, M 460 @
2.53GHz, 3.80GB usable RAM, 64-bit OS,

--
PixelZapper (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: UI/Tools Lagging (Windows 7)

Liam R E Quin
On Wed, 2018-08-22 at 18:12 +0200, PixelZapper wrote:

> Sometimes, the problems don't all happen together. But they're all
> happening and none of these were an issue a few days ago.

What has changed on your computer system in the past few days? It could
be programs you've installed or removed, or a system update, or a
change to the way your virus checker runs, or a change in the way
you're using another program - e.g. you've started watching a live
youtube feed :)

> The computer: HP G62 running Windows 7. Processor: Intel Core i5 CPU,
> M 460 @2.53GHz, 3.80GB usable RAM, 64-bit OS,

With only 4G of RAM installed, you are likely to have problems running
more than one program at a time. I know, I know, that was a lot of
memory only milliseconds ago. See e.g.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-G62-Max-Ram/td-p/2239693

slave liam (ankh)

Click here to make the slave laugh.

UI/Tools Lagging (Windows 7)

billlee
Thanks for the reply! Not much has changed-- I really only run Firefox, GIMP,
Inkscape, and Atom on this laptop. And Inkscape only gets used a couple times
per week, and rarely at the same time as GIMP. Inkscape was not running when the
GIMP problems started, but Firefox was. Firefox was running but not actively
being utilized. I hadn't really used Firefox on this laptop for several days
prior to the problems starting. I haven't installed or removed any programs. My
usage of FF on this laptop is pretty limited, I mostly run class videos and
related webpages on it. No videos were playing when the problems started. The
problems started on Tuesday, and I hadn't run any videos on this laptop during
the weekend, nor did I run any videos on Monday.

I don't think there's been any system updates, either.

Inkscape was also having uncharacteristic problems over the weekend, before the
GIMP problems started. Firefox is running as normal, no slowdowns. Right now I
have FF and GIMP open. I'm mystified as to what the issue is, since this laptop
has had no trouble running GIMP and FF concurrently until now.

--
PixelZapper (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)