Trouble selecting and moving text

Beinsezii
I'm creating a CD panel + label design. I have a a color background layer, I use
the text tool to create a text layer, add the text. Then since the text box with
fonts is in the way of my view I open the move tool. Many times I have trouble
getting the move tool to select the text and move it. It may select the
background color or the whole template guide underneath. I usually then look and
see if the text layer is selected over to the right. I try reselecting it.

If none of that works i go to the Selection tool and hit select all, select none
and keep trying different combinations until I finally get the text to move. I
run into this problem all the time with different panels I'm working with in
this CD panel template. Some panels have a picture along with the text and color
background.

Either I'm doing something wrong or there may be a quirk in GIMP and I need the
workaround. Or maybe I don't need the move tool if there is a way of moving the
text box with fonts is in the way of my view when using the Text tool

GerryPeters (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Trouble selecting and moving text

Beinsezii
>I'm creating a CD panel + label design. I have a a color background
>layer, I use the text tool to create a text layer, add the text. Then
>since the text box with fonts is in the way of my view I open the move
>tool. Many times I have trouble getting the move tool to select the
>text and move it. It may select the background color or the whole
>template guide underneath. I usually then look and see if the text
>layer is selected over to the right. I try reselecting it.
>
>If none of that works i go to the Selection tool and hit select all,
>select none and keep trying different combinations until I finally get
>the text to move. I run into this problem all the time with different
>panels I'm working with in this CD panel template. Some panels have a
>picture along with the text and color background.
>
>Either I'm doing something wrong or there may be a quirk in GIMP and I
>need the workaround. Or maybe I don't need the move tool if there is a
>way of moving the text box with fonts is in the way of my view when
>using the Text tool
>
>Thanks,

Just the way Gimp handles layers, something to get used to.

1. With the text tool active and in the active text layer, hold the ctrl & alt
keys down, click and drag the text layer. see screenshot 01

2. Generally moving any layer using the move tool.

Gimp looks for the first solid pixel and moves the layer where it finds it. You
can see the active layer temporarily move if you click on transparency in the
layer you are working on. This can be very useful, saving time actively moving
between layers.

Of course, lots of transparency in text layers, so with the move tool active,
enable Move-the active-layer in the tool options. Click and drag the layer
around. see screenshot 02

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/831/original/01-moveit.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/832/original/02-moveit.jpg

Trouble selecting and moving text

Beinsezii
>Just the way Gimp handles layers, something to get used to.
>
>1. With the text tool active and in the active text layer, hold the
>ctrl & alt keys down, click and drag the text layer. see screenshot 01
>
>2. Generally moving any layer using the move tool.
>
>Gimp looks for the first solid pixel and moves the layer where it
>finds it. You can see the active layer temporarily move if you click
>on transparency in the layer you are working on. This can be very
>useful, saving time actively moving between layers.
>
>Of course, lots of transparency in text layers, so with the move tool
>active, enable Move-the active-layer in the tool options. Click and
>drag the layer around. see screenshot 02
>
>rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Great info, Rich. I tried ti all and it works perfectly. You're right no quirk,
just the way GIMP works. This is a treasure trove of good info for me. I was
wondering why it was so quirky, now I understand the really great features GIMP
has . Very clear explanation. The screenshots really help also.

--
GerryPeters (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)