Transparent background on flattened images?

Transparent background on flattened images?

rich404
Hi, I've been making use of this forum the past few months as I learn GIMP, but
this is my first time posting.

I'm working with GIMP 2.8.16.

My question:  Is there a straightforward way to get a transparent background on
a flattened image?

The top portion of the book cover I'm generating features two separate images, a
girl and a guy, brought together to give the illusion they're with each other in
the same setting.  I want to set a third image (a blueprint vector) behind them,
then reduce the opacity on the first two layers so the blueprint lines show
faintly through.

Problem is, when I reduce the opacity on the girl, the guy shows through her
(see attached photo "Book cover transparency attempt").

The same thing happens when I use Merge Down.

I've experimented with opening a new view and flattening the girl and guy layers
to make one image.  Hooray, they're equally solid now and I can adjust their
opacity simultaneously with no ghosting.   But now I've got a gray, opaque
background where I need it to be clear.  (See image "Flattened view").

If I must go through all the _fun_ of redoing the layer mask, I'll suck it up
and do it.  But if there's a simpler, more elegant way to get a clear background
on a flattened image, I'll be immensely grateful to find it out.

Or . . .  is there another a method for joining two images together so their
opacity can be adjusted without one image showing through the other?  That would
solve the problem, too.

Thanks!

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/620/original/Fullscreen_capture_712017_41303_AM.bmp.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/621/original/Fullscreen_capture_712017_43823_AM.bmp.jpg

--
recoveringartist (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Transparent background on flattened images?

rich404
...snip...

>My question:  Is there a straightforward way to get a transparent
>background on a flattened image?

Not exactly what you request in the next bit

>The top portion of the book cover I'm generating features two separate
>images, a girl and a guy, brought together to give the illusion
>they're with each other in the same setting.  I want to set a third
>image (a blueprint vector) behind them, then reduce the opacity on the
>first two layers so the blueprint lines show faintly through.

..snip..

>Or . . .  is there another a method for joining two images together so
>their opacity can be adjusted without one image showing through the
>other?  That would solve the problem, too.

Always better if you can show screenshots with the layers dialogue, otherwise it
is all a bit of a guess.

Anyway, without spending too much time on it, you might have something this
screenshot http://i.imgur.com/YoeXAON.jpg a front character layer, a back
character layer - with layer masks and a blueprint background.

Turn off the visibility of all layers (background) leaving the character layers
and create a new layer from those. Layer menu -> New from visible.
http://i.imgur.com/CYEykne.jpg

Then turn the visibility of the characters layers **off**, visibility of the
background **on**, and adjust the opacity of the 'new from visible'
http://i.imgur.com/5Ew0KIn.jpg

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Re: Transparent background on flattened images?

Carol Spears-2
On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 5:26 AM, recoveringartist <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi, I've been making use of this forum the past few months as I learn
> GIMP, but
> this is my first time posting.
>
> I'm working with GIMP 2.8.16.
>
> My question:  Is there a straightforward way to get a transparent
> background on
> a flattened image?
>
> The word "Flatten", when used in GIMP gui, literally means "to reduce to
one layer and remove all transparency".

Of the many way to achieve what you described, flattening is not one of
them.

carol

Transparent background on flattened images?

Thank you to those who have replied to my question.  :-)

Before I follow up, is there an FAQ on formatting replies?  I especially want to
know how to quote previous posters as I respond in-line.  I want to get it right
before hitting the Send Reply button, but there doesn't seem to be a Preview
Reply option.

Any pointers appreciated!

--
recoveringartist (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Transparent background on flattened images?

Rick Strong-2
When you open your base (new) image, open with a fill of "transparency".
(Click "Advanced")
- Create three transparent layers on top of base layer.
- Put your woman on the top layer, man on the second down, blueprint third
down.
- Merge woman and man. Adjust transparency so blueprint lines show through.
- If you want, merge Man-Woman layer with blueprint layer.
- DO NOT FLATTEN ANYTHING.
- Export to PNG (which supports transparency).
- Put in book cover layout.

Rick S.

Transparent background on flattened images?

Finally got the chance to try this.  Yes, thank you, it's working beautifully.

Oh, yes, and point taken about attaching the entire screenshot.  I'll avoid
cropping them in the future.

>...snip...
>
>Anyway, without spending too much time on it, you might have something
>this screenshot http://i.imgur.com/YoeXAON.jpg a front character
>layer, a back character layer - with layer masks and a blueprint
>background.
>
>Turn off the visibility of all layers (background) leaving the
>character layers and create a new layer from those. Layer menu -> New
>from visible. http://i.imgur.com/CYEykne.jpg
>
>Then turn the visibility of the characters layers **off**, visibility
>of the background **on**, and adjust the opacity of the 'new from
>visible' http://i.imgur.com/5Ew0KIn.jpg

--
recoveringartist (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Transparent background on flattened images?

>On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 5:26 AM, recoveringartist
><[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>The word "Flatten" when used in GIMP gui, literally means "to reduce one layer
and remove all transparency".

>Of the many way to achieve what you described, flattening is not one
>of
>them.

Yes, thanks, clarification is always a good thing.  No point in trying to make a
method do something it's not in its nature to do, right?

--
recoveringartist (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)