Transparent Photo

chrisj
I am new to GIMP.  Actually, new to any photo manipulating program. I am trying
to make a photo transparent--the entire photo, that is, not just the background.
I'm confused and keep finding instructions for fading (which is not what I want)
or instructions for removing background. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology,
I don't know. I plan on using the photo as a backdrop for text. Any help would
be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

--
AriSongBird (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Transparent Photo

chrisj
>I am new to GIMP.  Actually, new to any photo manipulating program. I
>am trying to make a photo transparent--the entire photo, that is, not
>just the background. I'm confused and keep finding instructions for
>fading (which is not what I want) or instructions for removing
>background. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology, I don't know. I
>plan on using the photo as a backdrop for text. Any help would be
>greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Open your image in Gimp

1. Give the image transparency, called an alpha channel, Layer menu ->
Transparency -> Add Alpha Channel (if greyed-out it already exists)

2. Add a new layer, Layer -> New Layer Fill it with white (start off with white,
experiment later with different colours/patterns)

3. Move your photo over that, easiest way, use the little arrows or
click-n-drag.

4. With the photo layer **active**, ie. click on it in the layers dialogue (it
will 'highlight'), move the **opacity** slider to a value that suits you.

5. For text, click on the text tool, click on the canvas, a text layer is
created above the active layer.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/641/original/opacity.jpg

Transparent Photo

chrisj
edit: Hate this mailing list format.

If you plan on using the final image on say a web page.

You will not eventually need the bottom white layer, delete that as required.

Save your work as a Gimp xcf file which preserves all/any layers and settings.

When complete, Export the image as a .png file which flattens to a single layer
but importantly preserves the transparency .

Other formats will lose transparency.

Transparent Photo

chrisj
>edit: Hate this mailing list format.
>
>If you plan on using the final image on say a web page.
>
>You will not eventually need the bottom white layer, delete that as
>required.
>
>Save your work as a Gimp xcf file which preserves all/any layers and
>settings.
>
>When complete, Export the image as a .png file which flattens to a
>single layer but importantly preserves the transparency .
>
>Other formats will lose transparency.

Thank you for all your help. This is great! I am just getting ready to give this
a try. I am hopeful. Again, thanks!

--
AriSongBird (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Transparent Photo

chrisj
>Thank you for all your help. This is great! I am just getting ready to
>give this a try. I am hopeful. Again, thanks!

Well... so far, so good, but now I'm stuck. I'm stuck at #4 "With the photo
layer "active" etc...
I can't seem to get to the opacity slider... everything was going smoothly until
then. -:o

--
AriSongBird (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Transparent Photo

chrisj
>Well... so far, so good, but now I'm stuck. I'm stuck at #4 "With the
>photo layer "active" etc...
>I can't seem to get to the opacity slider... everything was going
>smoothly until then. -:o

Yes, not easy for a beginner, Gimp has a steep learning curve.

One thing I suggest is, If you still have traditional Gimp three windows is
enable single window mode.

Gimp menu Windows -> Single Window Mode, then we are on the same basis.

Otherwise it is click in that bar top of the layers dialogue and move the
slider.

A very quick video demo about 2 mins https://youtu.be/GtPxrXeCegg

Any real problems you can always get me as below.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Transparent Photo

chrisj
>Yes, not easy for a beginner, Gimp has a steep learning curve.
>
>One thing I suggest is, If you still have traditional Gimp three
>windows is enable single window mode.
>
>Gimp menu Windows -> Single Window Mode, then we are on the same
>basis.
>
>Otherwise it is click in that bar top of the layers dialogue and move
>the slider.
>
>A very quick video demo about 2 mins https://youtu.be/GtPxrXeCegg
>
>Any real problems you can always get me as below.
>
>rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Thx, Rich... I shall persevere. I'll keep plugging along and get back to you
with results. You've been a fabulous help. Again, thank you!

--
AriSongBird (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Transparent Photo

Hi Rich,

On 04/08/17 11:22, rich2005 wrote:
> If you plan on using the final image on say a web page.
... then you would be better off to control the transparency in your web
editor through CSS.

See:
https://www.w3schools.com/css/css_image_transparency.asp

Greg