Touchpad gestures for zooming

Povilas Kanapickas
Hello,

I would like to implement touchpad gesture support in GIMP. Perhaps the
most useful use case is the ability to do pinch gesture to zoom the
currently opened image in and out. I would like to focus on just this
use case initially.

Is this something the team sees as an useful feature?

This is just an initial proposal, if the team deems the feature worth
exploration I would come back with a proof of concept implementation so
that we have something concrete to discuss.

Thanks,
Povilas

Re: Touchpad gestures for zooming

Developers mailing list
On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 1:55 AM Povilas Kanapickas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to implement touchpad gesture support in GIMP. Perhaps the
> most useful use case is the ability to do pinch gesture to zoom the
> currently opened image in and out. I would like to focus on just this
> use case initially.
>
> Is this something the team sees as an useful feature?

Hello!

Yes, Jehan Pages experimented with that a few years back but switched
to other tasks. So that would be a very much welcome feature :)

Re: Touchpad gestures for zooming

Developers mailing list
Hi!

On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 10:37 AM Alexandre Prokoudine via
gimp-developer-list <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 1:55 AM Povilas Kanapickas wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to implement touchpad gesture support in GIMP. Perhaps the
> > most useful use case is the ability to do pinch gesture to zoom the
> > currently opened image in and out. I would like to focus on just this
> > use case initially.
> >
> > Is this something the team sees as an useful feature?
>
> Hello!
>
> Yes, Jehan Pages experimented with that a few years back but switched
> to other tasks. So that would be a very much welcome feature :)

Indeed I focus on more important tasks to us right now so I think none is
working on it. And obviously we would really welcome the feature! 🙂

Jehan

> Alex

ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net
Patreon: https://patreon.com/zemarmot
Tipeee: https://www.tipeee.com/zemarmot

Re: Touchpad gestures for zooming

Hello Povilas,

Am Di., 1. Dez. 2020 um 23:55 Uhr schrieb Povilas Kanapickas <[hidden email]>:

> I would like to implement touchpad gesture support in GIMP. Perhaps the
> most useful use case is the ability to do pinch gesture to zoom the
> currently opened image in and out. I would like to focus on just this
> use case initially.
>
> Is this something the team sees as an useful feature?

Yes, please do so. There is even an open issue for this:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/717

If you implement it I think you should use the master branch, because
it's gtk3 and you can use GtkGestureZoom there:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/commits/master
https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkGestureZoom.html
https://developer.gnome.org/Gestures/

Regards,
Tobias

Re: Touchpad gestures for zooming

Povilas Kanapickas
Hi all,

On 12/2/20 3:19 PM, Tobias Jakobs wrote:

> Hello Povilas,
>
> Am Di., 1. Dez. 2020 um 23:55 Uhr schrieb Povilas Kanapickas <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> I would like to implement touchpad gesture support in GIMP. Perhaps the
>> most useful use case is the ability to do pinch gesture to zoom the
>> currently opened image in and out. I would like to focus on just this
>> use case initially.
>>
>> Is this something the team sees as an useful feature?
>>
> Yes, please do so. There is even an open issue for this:
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/717
>
> If you implement it I think you should use the master branch, because
> it's gtk3 and you can use GtkGestureZoom there:
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/commits/master
> https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkGestureZoom.html
> https://developer.gnome.org/Gestures/

Thanks a lot for your support.

I will come back a little bit later with a more concrete proposal.

Cheers,

On 12/3/20 12:18 AM, Povilas Kanapickas wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On 12/2/20 3:19 PM, Tobias Jakobs wrote:
>> Hello Povilas,
>>
>> Am Di., 1. Dez. 2020 um 23:55 Uhr schrieb Povilas Kanapickas <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> I would like to implement touchpad gesture support in GIMP. Perhaps the
>>> most useful use case is the ability to do pinch gesture to zoom the
>>> currently opened image in and out. I would like to focus on just this
>>> use case initially.
>>>
>>> Is this something the team sees as an useful feature?
>>>
>> Yes, please do so. There is even an open issue for this:
>> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/717
>>
>> If you implement it I think you should use the master branch, because
>> it's gtk3 and you can use GtkGestureZoom there:
>> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/commits/master
>> https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkGestureZoom.html
>> https://developer.gnome.org/Gestures/
>>

> Thanks a lot for your support.
>
> I will come back a little bit later with a more concrete proposal.

A short update on this feature. I've implemented it in
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/merge_requests/401.

It does not currently support touchscreens, only touchpads.

Cheers,
Povilas