Text with accents

I'm using 2.10.20 and I want to create some text using accents
(specifically, in the first case, a german umlaut).  I've found out
how to use the installed system fonts (backsppace to the beginning
of hte font name, type the first letter, choose from list) and I've
chosen one which I think will look right.  But when I type ä
(a-umlaut if you can't read that) I just get a plain a.  Similarly
with other accents, although my key for ß (capital letter sharp S)
works.

I'm using regular accents e.g. U+00e4 for small letter a with
diaeresis, not combining characters because I don't have those
mapped on my keyboard.

Is there any way to get the accented letters ?

ĸen
--
Juliet's version of cleanliness was next to godliness, which was to
say it was erratic, past all understanding and was seldom seen.

Re: Text with accents

Patrick Shanahan-3
* Ken Moffat via gimp-user-list <[hidden email]> [08-27-20 02:43]:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using 2.10.20 and I want to create some text using accents
> (specifically, in the first case, a german umlaut).  I've found out
> how to use the installed system fonts (backsppace to the beginning
> of hte font name, type the first letter, choose from list) and I've
> chosen one which I think will look right.  But when I type ä
> (a-umlaut if you can't read that) I just get a plain a.  Similarly
> with other accents, although my key for ß (capital letter sharp S)
> works.
>
> I'm using regular accents e.g. U+00e4 for small letter a with
> diaeresis, not combining characters because I don't have those
> mapped on my keyboard.
>
> Is there any way to get the accented letters ?

your "accented" letter "ä" shows fine here.  Maybe your not displaying
utf8 ???

I use <right><alt><double-quote> to generate ä

Re: Text with accents

Users mailing list
On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 08:52:59AM -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * Ken Moffat via gimp-user-list <[hidden email]> [08-27-20 02:43]:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using 2.10.20 and I want to create some text using accents
> > (specifically, in the first case, a german umlaut).  I've found out
> > how to use the installed system fonts (backsppace to the beginning
> > of hte font name, type the first letter, choose from list) and I've
> > chosen one which I think will look right.  But when I type ä
> > (a-umlaut if you can't read that) I just get a plain a.  Similarly
> > with other accents, although my key for ß (capital letter sharp S)
> > works.
> >
> > I'm using regular accents e.g. U+00e4 for small letter a with
> > diaeresis, not combining characters because I don't have those
> > mapped on my keyboard.
> >
> > Is there any way to get the accented letters ?
>
> your "accented" letter "ä" shows fine here.  Maybe your not displaying
> utf8 ???

You mean it displays fine in the mail, or that you managed to get it
in text in the gimp ?  I'm fully UTF-8 here, as confirmed by the
sharp S displaying in the gimp.

> I use <right><alt><double-quote> to generate ä

I use a GB keyboard, we call right alt AltGr and my xorg keymap is
derived from the default GB map (AltGr s for ß, other letters (not
tried in the gimp) such as AltGr l for polish ł with slash, and
accents on AltGr and keys at the right end, e.g. AltGr ; for acute,
AltGr : for double acute (hungarian ő), AltGr [ for umlaut or
diaeresis ].

Ah, I maybe know why it doesn't work for me - I'm using dead keys
for the accents as a means of getting maximum coverage in other
programs (so, for example, I can do dead cedilla on ģ).  Perhaps
gimp is ignoring the dead key.

The font I was using is Free Sans, and I'm attempting to work around
this by pixel editing - the end result is for small-scale model
signs, with letters in about 8pt to 12pt if I was printing from
libreoffice - but since I need white-on-colour I can't print from LO
on my inkjet, and I need white lining for which I'll anyway have to
use pixel editing (the 1 pixel brush).  Still attempting to try
that, I've got 4 sizes of tiny printing on which I'm working before
I attempt to print to see if any look good enough, but it is driving
me crazy - works for a bit, remembering to select the brush after
using the eyedropper to select the colour or shade, and then
suddenly it stops working.

Thanks.

ĸen
--
Juliet's version of cleanliness was next to godliness, which was to
say it was erratic, past all understanding and was seldom seen.
                          -- Unseen Academicals

Re: Text with accents

Patrick Shanahan-3
* Ken Moffat via gimp-user-list <[hidden email]> [08-27-20 10:28]:

> On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 08:52:59AM -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * Ken Moffat via gimp-user-list <[hidden email]> [08-27-20 02:43]:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm using 2.10.20 and I want to create some text using accents
> > > (specifically, in the first case, a german umlaut).  I've found out
> > > how to use the installed system fonts (backsppace to the beginning
> > > of hte font name, type the first letter, choose from list) and I've
> > > chosen one which I think will look right.  But when I type ä
> > > (a-umlaut if you can't read that) I just get a plain a.  Similarly
> > > with other accents, although my key for ß (capital letter sharp S)
> > > works.
> > >
> > > I'm using regular accents e.g. U+00e4 for small letter a with
> > > diaeresis, not combining characters because I don't have those
> > > mapped on my keyboard.
> > >
> > > Is there any way to get the accented letters ?
> >
> > your "accented" letter "ä" shows fine here.  Maybe your not displaying
> > utf8 ???
>
> You mean it displays fine in the mail, or that you managed to get it
> in text in the gimp ?  I'm fully UTF-8 here, as confirmed by the
> sharp S displaying in the gimp.

yes, sorry for the noise.  It displays properly in the mail.

Re: Text with accents

On Thu, 2020-08-27 at 07:32 +0100, Ken Moffat via gimp-user-list wrote:
> Hi,
>  when I type ä
> (a-umlaut if you can't read that) I just get a plain a.  Similarly
> with other accents, although my key for ß (capital letter sharp S)
> works.

Make sure the font supports this character.
For example, open it in fontforge. Or, make a text file with the ü in
it and some other characters, and run,
pango-view --font='Helvetica 36'
(where Helvetica is the name of the font you are using).

> I'm using regular accents e.g. U+00e4 for small letter a with
> diaeresis, not combining characters because I don't have those
> mapped on my keyboard.

It should work fine.

slave liam (ankh)
Click here to have the slave beaten.

Re: Text with accents

Users mailing list
On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 12:11:13PM -0400, Liam R E Quin wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-08-27 at 07:32 +0100, Ken Moffat via gimp-user-list wrote:
> > Hi,
> >  when I type ä
> > (a-umlaut if you can't read that) I just get a plain a.  Similarly
> > with other accents, although my key for ß (capital letter sharp S)
> > works.
>
> Make sure the font supports this character.
> For example, open it in fontforge. Or, make a text file with the ü in
> it and some other characters, and run,
> pango-view --font='Helvetica 36'
> (where Helvetica is the name of the font you are using).
>
> > I'm using regular accents e.g. U+00e4 for small letter a with
> > diaeresis, not combining characters because I don't have those
> > mapped on my keyboard.
>
> It should work fine.
>

> slave liam (ankh)

Hi Liam,

please see my earlier reply to Patrick - the accented letters that
did not work are definitely in FreeSans, I think the difference is
that I access them via keys mapped as some-dead-accent + letter.

I've got my own 'analysis' of what is directly avlable in some fonts
(i.e. not using opentype variations) at zarniwhoop.uk, so I know
that FreeSans supports the accents I tried and also has suitable
shapes for the letters.

Editing on a pixel-by pixel basis (blue background, almost-white
text, a few intermediate blue shades) has allowed me to add
satisfactory umlauts to a couple of 'a' letters at approx 16pix and
12pix high.  No idea if htey wil lprint ok, too many other
pixels/sizes need to be edited before it is worth trying to print.

Unfortunately I keep losing the ability to paint with any brush.
I've checked the online 'stuck' help, all my settings were ok.  The
first time I eventually closed gimp, reopened, no change until a bit
later it suddenly started workign again - no idea what I had done
which fixed it.  The second time I was sorting out some mis-coloured
pixels (drawing lines around the text at 3200%, sometimes a mouse
click generates one 'white' pixel and another next to it in an
intermediate shade.  And there I got stuck and have not managed to
progress.

Apart from the 2.10 online docs, all the suggestions which google
found are for people who have accidentally got indexed colours -
mine are straight rgb.

ĸen
--
Juliet's version of cleanliness was next to godliness, which was to
say it was erratic, past all understanding and was seldom seen.
                          -- Unseen Academicals

Re: Text with accents

Liam R E Quin
On Thu, 2020-08-27 at 23:10 +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 12:11:13PM -0400, Liam R E Quin wrote:
>

> please see my earlier reply to Patrick - the accented letters that
> did not work are definitely in FreeSans, I think the difference is
> that I access them via keys mapped as some-dead-accent + letter.

OK. So if you paste them into GIMP they work? Or if you click on "use
text editor" in the tool options dialogue when text is active, do they
work in the tool editor?

> Unfortunately I keep losing the ability to paint with any brush.

When you click on the image with a brush, what happens exactly?

When you drag, what happens?

In tool options for the paintbrush, is the Mode (at the top) set to
Normal?

Just below the Mode, is Opacity set to 100% ? Are Brush Dynamics set to
Off?

Make sure also that Anti erase, near the bottom of tool options, is not
selected. Pressing the Alt key will also choose anti-erase. This
"paints" by removing transparency from the current layer.

Are you using a graphics tablet and stylus?

Modifier keys like caps lock can sometimes make a difference too.

slave liam

"Slave" in full-time voluntary servitude.

Re: Text with accents

Users mailing list
On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 07:06:08PM -0400, Liam R E Quin wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-08-27 at 23:10 +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 12:11:13PM -0400, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> >

> > please see my earlier reply to Patrick - the accented letters that
> > did not work are definitely in FreeSans, I think the difference is
> > that I access them via keys mapped as some-dead-accent + letter.
>
> OK. So if you paste them into GIMP they work? Or if you click on "use
> text editor" in the tool options dialogue when text is active, do they
> work in the tool editor?

Will try those at some point - might take a while, other things are
in the way.  I'd forgotten about the editor option and I didn't have
examples of the accented letters anywhere handy - that's the
benefit, for me, of setting up my own keymap: I can remember how to
get most of the accents (strictly, diacriticals) I use.

> > Unfortunately I keep losing the ability to paint with any brush.
>
> When you click on the image with a brush, what happens exactly?

Nothing.

Specifically - I clicked on one pixel with the current colour and
pasted that ok, then as in the previous changes of colour I used the
eyedropper to select a different colour, back to tools->paint
tools->paintbrush and after that the last time nothing got changed.

> When you drag, what happens?

I've not been dragging - for tiny text itself there is no benefit to
dragging, for lines I tend to get a lot more spill (e.g. above or
below the line for a horizontal line, usually with a faint version
of the selected white or blue).  I did try vertical drags
over two pixels when adding the umlauts, but again there was spill
and no space to let it go - lowercase 'o' is something like 6 pixels
by 6 pixels on the least-small of the sizes I'm trying.

> In tool options for the paintbrush, is the Mode (at the top) set to
> Normal?
>
> Just below the Mode, is Opacity set to 100% ? Are Brush Dynamics set to
> Off?
>
> Make sure also that Anti erase, near the bottom of tool options, is not
> selected. Pressing the Alt key will also choose anti-erase. This
> "paints" by removing transparency from the current layer.

Will need to check.

> Are you using a graphics tablet and stylus?

No, plain mouse with 2 buttons and wheel.  Drawing like this is
something I very rarely do.

> Modifier keys like caps lock can sometimes make a difference too.
>
> slave liam

I've set caps lock as my Compose key, but I don't think I was using
keys.  Maybe I used Alt-F1 to go to my desktop which has firefox
open (icewm, gimp is on desktop3) to take a break or check email, or
Alt-F3 to come back, but I think I just used the mouse to switch
desktops.

Thanks for all these details.

ĸen

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 01:06:23AM +0100, Ken Moffat via gimp-user-list wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 07:06:08PM -0400, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> > On Thu, 2020-08-27 at 23:10 +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:

(Following up on the tool options)

> > > On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 12:11:13PM -0400, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> > >

> > > please see my earlier reply to Patrick - the accented letters that
> > > did not work are definitely in FreeSans, I think the difference is
> > > that I access them via keys mapped as some-dead-accent + letter.
> >
> > OK. So if you paste them into GIMP they work? Or if you click on "use
> > text editor" in the tool options dialogue when text is active, do they
> > work in the tool editor?
>
> Will try those at some point - might take a while, other things are
> in the way.  I'd forgotten about the editor option and I didn't have
> examples of the accented letters anywhere handy - that's the
> benefit, for me, of setting up my own keymap: I can remember how to
> get most of the accents (strictly, diacriticals) I use.

Still on my ToDo list, but maybe a few days away (a problematic day
comign up, and will be busy more TV from Saturday).

> > > Unfortunately I keep losing the ability to paint with any brush.
> >
> > When you click on the image with a brush, what happens exactly?
>
> Nothing.
>
> Specifically - I clicked on one pixel with the current colour and
> pasted that ok, then as in the previous changes of colour I used the
> eyedropper to select a different colour, back to tools->paint
> tools->paintbrush and after that the last time nothing got changed.
>

> > When you drag, what happens?
> >

> I've not been dragging - for tiny text itself there is no benefit to
> dragging, for lines I tend to get a lot more spill (e.g. above or
> below the line for a horizontal line, usually with a faint version
> of the selected white or blue).  I did try vertical drags
> over two pixels when adding the umlauts, but again there was spill
> and no space to let it go - lowercase 'o' is something like 6 pixels
> by 6 pixels on the least-small of the sizes I'm trying.
>
> > In tool options for the paintbrush, is the Mode (at the top) set to
> > Normal?

Yes

> > Just below the Mode, is Opacity set to 100% ? Are Brush Dynamics set to
> > Off?

Yes and Yes.

> > Make sure also that Anti erase, near the bottom of tool options, is not
> > selected. Pressing the Alt key will also choose anti-erase. This
> > "paints" by removing transparency from the current layer.
> >

> Will need to check.

Can't find it.

Going down, after Dynamic options I have:

Fade Options

Repeat  None (extend)

Reverse not selected

Colour Options
  Gradient FG to BG
  Blend Colour Space CIE lab

Apply jitter - sleected

Smooth stroke not selected

Lock Brush to view - selected ***

Incremental (not selected)

Ah!  If I deselect Lock Brush to view I can again use the brush.

I think one of the links I found earlier when first looking for
solutions mentioned setting that.  But it looks as if that somehow
again got unset (when painting worked the second time), and then
somehow it again got enabled.

Now that I know where else to look, I'll make a note to keep an eye
on this.  Many thanks!

ĸen
--
Juliet's version of cleanliness was next to godliness, which was to
say it was erratic, past all understanding and was seldom seen.
                          -- Unseen Academicals

Re: ***SPAM*** Re: Text with accents

Liam R E Quin
On Fri, 2020-08-28 at 02:39 +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:

> Ah!  If I deselect Lock Brush to view I can again use the brush.

Glad you got there sir.

slave liam

Re: Text with accents

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 07:06:08PM -0400, Liam R E Quin wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-08-27 at 23:10 +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 12:11:13PM -0400, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> >

> > please see my earlier reply to Patrick - the accented letters that
> > did not work are definitely in FreeSans, I think the difference is
> > that I access them via keys mapped as some-dead-accent + letter.
>
> OK. So if you paste them into GIMP they work? Or if you click on "use
> text editor" in the tool options dialogue when text is active, do they
> work in the tool editor?

After a long delay, I'm at last able to come back to this -

To recap, plain text, and variants accessed directly via the AltGr
(Right Alt) key works, but letters using dead keys in my personal
keymap (AltGr+something for dead-diaeresis or whatever, + letter) do
not work.

First, Peter Keller reported that using his Compose key worked.
That does not work for me, at least not when typing directly into
the text box.

Similarly, selecting the various letters in gucharmap and copying
them to the buffer, then trying to use paste in gimp did not work at
all (I tried a full word, only one character had a accent, but
nothing got pasted).  Similarly, typing the text in a term, then
using copy+paste did not work.

Then I found the 'use editor' option in the tool options for text:
with that I was able to type the text including the accent from the
deakd key.

So, solved.

ĸen
--
I could not live without Champagne.  In victory I deserve it, in
defeat I need it.  -- Churchill