Text effects help

SimoneRodriguez
Hi

I am new to gimp and am trying to select one line of text in a text box to add
special effects to.  When I select alpha to logo, it changes the entire text
box.  If I try to select one line of the text box, it does not allow me to
select anything in alpha to logo.  Can someone please help?  All the online
tutorials I find are for changes to a couple words of text and nothing in a
paragraph.  Thanks.

--
sheller03 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Text effects help

SimoneRodriguez
>Hi
>
>I am new to gimp and am trying to select one line of text in a text
>box to add special effects to.  When I select alpha to logo, it
>changes the entire text box.  If I try to select one line of the text
>box, it does not allow me to select anything in alpha to logo.  Can
>someone please help?  All the online tutorials I find are for changes
>to a couple words of text and nothing in a paragraph.  Thanks.

Really, it is not worth the effort. Using alpha-to-logo pre-supposes that you
are using Gimp 2.8. Dropped from Gimp 2.10. These filters are made for older
days when images were much smaller and for making a single banner to add to
another image. You can still use that way but not in a text layer.

What you can do with text is change font / colour /spacing / underline... using
the on canvas text tool (1)

To apply one of those old filters takes a little work. Duplicate the text layer,
crop out the bit you want, (2), Note this is no longer a text layer, it is a
bitmap, you can not edit the text as text. (without starting again)

Apply a filter to that layer (3)  Not all filters will give a suitable result,
some will wreck the layer.

A bit of juggling with layer visibility might get a result (4)

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1185/original/01-texteffect.jpg
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1186/original/02-texteffect.jpg
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1187/original/03-texteffect.jpg