Text Characters

Paula Koval
Hello, All!  I have been looking for a way to produce text that has an
outline that has a color but a transparent interior.  I have searched the
Help to the best of my ability before asking.  I suspect that it takes the
use of a Tool, like a Brush or Bucket to subtract the fill.  My thanks in
advance for your help.

--

*"It's so nice to know so many nice people."*

*---Eddie Gallaher (1914-2003)     Radio Personality, Washington, DC
1947-2000*

Re: Text Characters

Owen Cook

> Subject: [Gimp-user] Text Characters
>
> Hello, All!  I have been looking for a way to produce text that has an
> outline that has a color but a transparent interior.  I have searched the
> Help to the best of my ability before asking.  I suspect that it takes the
> use of a Tool, like a Brush or Bucket to subtract the fill.  My thanks in
> advance for your help.

1. Enter your text
2. Layer->Text to Path
3. Edit->Stroke path (you need to set up color etc)
4. Edit->Select by Color
5. Ctrl + x to delete the colour (of your text)

Owen

Re: Text Characters

Rick Strong-2
A slight correction to this great instruction:
4. Select -> by Color

Rick S.

> Hello, All!  I have been looking for a way to produce text that has an
> outline that has a color but a transparent interior.  I have searched the
> Help to the best of my ability before asking.  I suspect that it takes the
> use of a Tool, like a Brush or Bucket to subtract the fill.  My thanks in
> advance for your help.

1. Enter your text
2. Layer->Text to Path
3. Edit->Stroke path (you need to set up color etc)
4. Edit->Select by Color
5. Ctrl + x to delete the colour (of your text)

Owen

Re: Text Characters

Ofnuts-2
Much better IMHO to avoid the post-stroke deletion by stroking the text
outline on a new layer...

In addition select-by-color does a "binary" selection so the pixels on
the edge are either completely removed
(jagged line) or left (faint colored rim).

On 22/02/17 19:19, Rick Strong wrote:

> A slight correction to this great instruction:
> 4. Select -> by Color
>
> Rick S.
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Owen Cook
> Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:26 PM
> To: gimp-user
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Text Characters
>

>> Subject: [Gimp-user] Text Characters
>>
>> Hello, All!  I have been looking for a way to produce text that has an
>> outline that has a color but a transparent interior.  I have searched
>> the
>> Help to the best of my ability before asking.  I suspect that it
>> takes the
>> use of a Tool, like a Brush or Bucket to subtract the fill.  My
>> thanks in
>> advance for your help.
>

> 1. Enter your text
> 2. Layer->Text to Path
> 3. Edit->Stroke path (you need to set up color etc)
> 4. Edit->Select by Color
> 5. Ctrl + x to delete the colour (of your text)
>

> Owen

Re: Text Characters

Paula Koval
Hello, Everyone!

I am looking for the way to take text that I have created that has a solid
color, make an outline around the edges of each character, and make the
center of each character transparent so it the attributes of the layer
below it will show through the transparent area.  I tried to work with the
instructions I was given to do this (see below) but either I cannot
understand what I am to do, or the instructions are not complete.  To all
who have helped me, I thank you and I need a bit more to understand how
this is to be done.

Have a great weekend!

Paula

 Subject: [Gimp-user] Text Characters

> Hello, All!  I have been looking for a way to produce text that has an
> outline that has a color but a transparent interior.  I have searched the
> Help to the best of my ability before asking.  I suspect that it takes the
> use of a Tool, like a Brush or Bucket to subtract the fill.  My thanks in
> advance for your help.

1. Enter your text
2. Layer->Text to Path
3. Edit->Stroke path (you need to set up color etc)
4. Edit->Select by Color
5. Ctrl + x to delete the colour (of your text)

Owen
Rick Strong [hidden email] via
<https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1311182?hl=en> gnome.org
Feb 22 (8 days ago)
to Owen, gimp-user

Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:26 PM
To: gimp-user
Ofnuts via <https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1311182?hl=en> gnome.org
Feb 22 (8 days ago)
to gimp-user-list

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 5:31 PM, Ofnuts <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Much better IMHO to avoid the post-stroke deletion by stroking the text
> outline on a new layer...
>
> In addition select-by-color does a "binary" selection so the pixels on the
> edge are either completely removed
> (jagged line) or left (faint colored rim).
>

> On 22/02/17 19:19, Rick Strong wrote:
>
>> A slight correction to this great instruction:
>> 4. Select -> by Color
>>
>> Rick S.
>>
>> -----Original Message----- From: Owen Cook
>> Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:26 PM
>> To: gimp-user
>> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Text Characters
>>

>> Subject: [Gimp-user] Text Characters
>>>
>>> Hello, All!  I have been looking for a way to produce text that has an
>>> outline that has a color but a transparent interior.  I have searched the
>>> Help to the best of my ability before asking.  I suspect that it takes
>>> the
>>> use of a Tool, like a Brush or Bucket to subtract the fill.  My thanks in
>>> advance for your help.
>>>

>> 1. Enter your text
>> 2. Layer->Text to Path
>> 3. Edit->Stroke path (you need to set up color etc)
>> 4. Edit->Select by Color
>> 5. Ctrl + x to delete the colour (of your text)
>>

>> Owen

*"It's so nice to know so many nice people."*

*---Eddie Gallaher (1914-2003)     Radio Personality, Washington, DC
1947-2000*

Re: Text Characters

Rick Strong-2
This works for me:
1. Enter your text
2. Layer-> Text to Path
3. Edit-> Stroke path (You need to choose a different colour from the text
color. If you want a black outline, make the text red, or some other colour
and stroke it with black.)
4. Edit-> Select by Color. (Select the red "insides".)
5. Ctrl + x (or delete) to delete the colour of your text (Delete the red
"insides") and leave just the black outline.

At what step do you get hung up?

Rick S

Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:26 PM
To: gimp-user
Ofnuts via <https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1311182?hl=en> gnome.org
Feb 22 (8 days ago)
to gimp-user-list
Much better IMHO to avoid the post-stroke deletion by stroking the text
outline on a new layer...

In addition select-by-color does a "binary" selection so the pixels on the
edge are either completely removed
(jagged line) or left (faint colored rim).

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 5:31 PM, Ofnuts <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Much better IMHO to avoid the post-stroke deletion by stroking the text
> outline on a new layer...
>
> In addition select-by-color does a "binary" selection so the pixels on the
> edge are either completely removed
> (jagged line) or left (faint colored rim).
>

> On 22/02/17 19:19, Rick Strong wrote:
>
>> A slight correction to this great instruction:
>> 4. Select -> by Color
>>
>> Rick S.
>>
>> -----Original Message----- From: Owen Cook
>> Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:26 PM
>> To: gimp-user
>> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Text Characters
>>

>> Subject: [Gimp-user] Text Characters
>>>
>>> Hello, All!  I have been looking for a way to produce text that has an
>>> outline that has a color but a transparent interior.  I have searched
>>> the
>>> Help to the best of my ability before asking.  I suspect that it takes
>>> the
>>> use of a Tool, like a Brush or Bucket to subtract the fill.  My thanks
>>> in
>>> advance for your help.
>>>

>> 1. Enter your text
>> 2. Layer->Text to Path
>> 3. Edit->Stroke path (you need to set up color etc)
>> 4. Edit->Select by Color
>> 5. Ctrl + x to delete the colour (of your text)
>>

>> Owen

*"It's so nice to know so many nice people."*

*---Eddie Gallaher (1914-2003)     Radio Personality, Washington, DC
1947-2000*

Text Characters

barbsdesk
>Hello, Everyone!
>
>I am looking for the way to take text that I have created that has a
>solid
>color, make an outline around the edges of each character, and make
>the
>center of each character transparent so it the attributes of the layer
>below it will show through the transparent area.  I tried to work with
>the
>instructions I was given to do this (see below) but either I cannot
>understand what I am to do, or the instructions are not complete.  To
>all
>who have helped me, I thank you and I need a bit more to understand
>how
>this is to be done.
>
>Have a great weekend!
>
>Paula

You need to use a layer mask.

see: http://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Cut-Out-Text?pid=262#pid262

Combine that with stroking a path Layer -> Text to Path created with the text
layer active, on a new layer as described by ofnuts.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Re: Text Characters

Guy Stalnaker
Paula,

Using Gimp 2.8.20 that exact set of steps from Owen will give you what
you ask for (I just did it). I've expanded the steps explanations a bit
for you. Do this on a new empty file:

 1.  From the menu bar select File > New, OK
 2. Use color palette and select the two colors you want to use for
    foreground (text) and background (I used white background and black
    foreground)
 3.  From the menu bar select Edit > Fill with BG color
 4.  From the menu bar select Tools > Text
 5. Click and drag with cursor to create text box, place cursor in font
    size field (between Font name and "px" dropdown in Text properties
    overlay) and type 172; click in text box and type "Test":  you
    should now have a large "Test" using the foreground color you
    selected in Step. 2; you'll have a new Layer in the Layer palette
    with the word "Test" as its name.
 6.  From menu bar select Layer->Text to Path
 7. CHANGE the foreground color to a different color (e.g., red)
 8.  From the menu bar select Edit->Stroke path; Option Stroke Line will
    outline each character of the Step 7 color, Line width is the width
    of the "outline around each character" you mention; note options
    under Line Style, especially Cap style: and Join style:
 9. You should now see your original background color (white), the text
    in your original foreground color (black), and the text outlined
    with the second foreground color you chose (red).
10. One change here from the Owen's steps: From the menu bar select
    Edit->Select by Path; you'll see a selection appear that covers the
    original text and a bit of the second text; this overlap will
    *reduce* the size of the outline, so plan your font size (in Step 5
    and Line width in Step 8 accordingly)
11.  From the menu bar select Edit > Cut (or Ctrl + x) to delete the
    selected path (which is the text entered from Step 6); you should
    see the background color now show through with the second foreground
    color all that remains of the text.
12. To see that the transparency is real, select the original Background
    layer; from the color palette select a new background color; from
    the Edit menu select Fill with BG color and the first background
    color will be replaced with the new one (I did not do this in the
    example below)

Selecting anti-aliased text may cause artifacts to exist with curved
shapes if you use Select by Color in Step 10--you'll see this with the e
and s of Test (try it out). Also, experiment with Edit Stroke Path's
Brushes options! You can get some funky/fun results.

Following these steps you can get this:

Hope this helps and thanks to Owen for the basic outline. This is a
great way to do this.

Regards.

On 3/2/2017 8:51 PM, Paula Koval wrote:

> Hello, Everyone!
>
> I am looking for the way to take text that I have created that has a solid
> color, make an outline around the edges of each character, and make the
> center of each character transparent so it the attributes of the layer
> below it will show through the transparent area.  I tried to work with the
> instructions I was given to do this (see below) but either I cannot
> understand what I am to do, or the instructions are not complete.  To all
> who have helped me, I thank you and I need a bit more to understand how
> this is to be done.
>
> Have a great weekend!
>
> Paula
>
>   Subject: [Gimp-user] Text Characters
>> Hello, All!  I have been looking for a way to produce text that has an
>> outline that has a color but a transparent interior.  I have searched the
>> Help to the best of my ability before asking.  I suspect that it takes the
>> use of a Tool, like a Brush or Bucket to subtract the fill.  My thanks in
>> advance for your help.
> 1. Enter your text
> 2. Layer->Text to Path
> 3. Edit->Stroke path (you need to set up color etc)
> 4. Edit->Select by Color
> 5. Ctrl + x to delete the colour (of your text)
>
> Owen

Text Characters

barbsdesk
Ouch -- GMail HTML formatting got lost in the translation to this Forum. Here is
my reply better formatted:

----

[...]

one (see attached image)

Selecting anti-aliased text may cause artifacts to exist with curved shapes if
you use Select by Color in Step 10--you'll see this with the e and s of Test
(try it out). Also, experiment with Edit Stroke Path's Brushes options! You can
get some funky/fun results.

Hope this helps and thanks to Owen for the basic outline. This is a great way to
do this.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/498/original/example_transparent_text.png

--