Tablet not working properly

barbsdesk
I have a Huion H420 tablet. I've installed the drivers, and the tablet shows up
in the devices. I've put the mode on "screen" and changed the pressure to "3",
but when I go to draw, there are no lines. If I press down with the pen,
there'll be a dot, but only a dot and no line. On other programs the tablet and
pen work perfectly with pressure and everything. It just doesn't seem to be
working on GIMP. Help?

--
squirrel (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Tablet not working properly

barbsdesk
>I've been having this very same problem and have been looking all over
>for an answer! I'm attempting to get this working on my new laptop and
>I've had no luck at all. I've been all over these forums as well as
>other web paged and youtube, and here's all the steps I've found and
>tried:
>

>Honestly, at this point I've isolated everything out- hardware,
>software, settings, bios setup, drivers- NOTHING is working. If I
>can't make this work, I'm going to have to find a way to convert ALL
>my work to a different program, and I really don't want to do that.

same problem with me
http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-user/19318-huion-1060pro-cannot-draw-on-gimp-2-8-20

I'm suggesting you to use version 2.8.18 for a while untill the development team
fix this bug on 2.8.20
https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gimp/v2.8/windows/

--
satrio_jati (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Tablet not working properly

barbsdesk
>same problem with me
>http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-user/19318-huion-1060pro-cannot-draw-on-gimp-2-8-20
>
>I'm suggesting you to use version 2.8.18 for a while untill the
>development team fix this bug on 2.8.20
>https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gimp/v2.8/windows/

Woot! It worked!! So, known issue with most recent form of  Gimp- got it. Issue
resolved! Thank you!!!

--
JakeUnsettled (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Tablet not working properly

barbsdesk
>same problem with me
>http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-user/19318-huion-1060pro-cannot-draw-on-gimp-2-8-20
>
>I'm suggesting you to use version 2.8.18 for a while untill the
>development team fix this bug on 2.8.20
>https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gimp/v2.8/windows/

Oh man... it's half working for me. Now it's drawing, but there's no difference
in pressure. I tried out the tablet in another program and that still worked. So
it's just GIMP that's not quite doing it for me. Maybe I should use an older
version than 2.8.18?

--
squirrel (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Tablet not working properly

barbsdesk
>Oh man... it's half working for me. Now it's drawing, but there's no
>difference in pressure. I tried out the tablet in another program and
>that still worked. So it's just GIMP that's not quite doing it for me.
>Maybe I should use an older version than 2.8.18?

If you choose paint brush tool there's dynamic setting in option tool to change
the pen pressure style.

https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-dynamics.html

--
satrio_jati (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Tablet not working properly

barbsdesk
>Woot! It worked!! So, known issue with most recent form of  Gimp- got
>it. Issue resolved! Thank you!!!

You're welcome.

--
satrio_jati (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Tablet not working properly

Michael Schumacher
On 03/11/2017 04:43 AM, satrio_jati wrote:

>> Woot! It worked!! So, known issue with most recent form of  Gimp- got
>> it. Issue resolved! Thank you!!!
>
> You're welcome.

Please note that "known issue" doesn't mean that anything will magically
change in a next release. Besides, it's only known from the few reports
on this list.

Tablet support is handled by GTK+, and I'm pretty sure none of the
developers own a tablet of this brand. It doesn't help that most of
these issues happen on the Windows platforms, which few to none of the
developers use, either.

If you want to see this fixed. you should help to figure out what has
changed:

- compare the GTK+ versions packaged in the 2.8.18 and 2.8.20 installers
- then the code changes there, between the specific states in
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/log/?h=gtk-2-24

Tablet not working properly

barbsdesk
>If you choose paint brush tool there's dynamic setting in option tool
>to change the pen pressure style.
>
>https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-dynamics.html

Thanks for the suggestion. I've done that though and it still isn't working. I
downloaded a few other art programs and it's not working on those either. I
guess it's something to do with the tablet, not GIMP, so I messaged Huion and
hopefully they can help me out and not let my money be wasted on a tablet that
doesn't work -_-

--
squirrel (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Tablet not working properly

barbsdesk
I just wanted to leave an update in case anyone else is still having this
problem.

I emailed Huion support and here's the instructions they sent me:

Here's a step by step to reinstall, please try and see if it works(If you are
using Mac system, please skip 3-4 steps):
1. Log out the Huion driver, close all drawing programs you are running, close
your anti virus software.
2. Uninstall the Huion driver from control panel.
3. Find the "TabletDriver" folder from C:\Program files\ and delete it. (If you
are not able to find this folder, that means you have deleted it already, and
you may skip this step.)
4. Go to C:\windows\system32 or C:\windows\system64, find "wintab32.dll" and
delete it.
5. Unplug the USB cable.
6. Download driver from Huion website (https://www.huiontablet.com/support/) and
install it as an Administrator.
7. Reboot the computer and wait until it finishes rebooting.
8. Plug the tablet back in.

I had a few issues with their instructions. The wintab32.dll file was actually
in C:\windows\sysWOW64. That was the first thing. Also, the file wouldn't delete
because it was open in Malwarebytes Tray Application. I couldn't for the life of
me figure out how to close the program, so I ended up deleting Malwarebytes off
my computer for the moment. But then the file still wouldn't delete because it
was open in OneDrive, then DropBox. So I exited those programs as well.

After getting all the original Huion files off my computer, I downloaded the
driver from the link they gave me. I forgot to restart my computer and tried out
the tablet on GIMP and krita and had the same problem as before. Then I realized
I needed to reboot. So I did that, and then everything worked perfectly!

I really don't know what I did wrong when I first installed the drivers, but I
guess if the problem is solved now, I don't need to dwell on that.

For the record, I still have the older version of GIMP installed (2.8.18) that
someone else on this thread suggested. This version also helped me with another
little issue I had where the icons were too small for a normal human to see.

So hopefully if anyone else has this same problem, they can follow these
instructions and have the good luck I did!

Peace!

--
squirrel (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Tablet not working properly

barbsdesk
>I just wanted to leave an update in case anyone else is still having
>this problem.
>
>I emailed Huion support and here's the instructions they sent me:
>

>Here's a step by step to reinstall, please try and see if it works(If
>you are using Mac system, please skip 3-4 steps):
>1. Log out the Huion driver, close all drawing programs you are
>running, close your anti virus software.
>2. Uninstall the Huion driver from control panel.
>3. Find the "TabletDriver" folder from C:\Program files\ and delete
>it. (If you are not able to find this folder, that means you have
>deleted it already, and you may skip this step.)
>4. Go to C:\windows\system32 or C:\windows\system64, find
>"wintab32.dll" and delete it.
>5. Unplug the USB cable.
>6. Download driver from Huion website
>(https://www.huiontablet.com/support/) and install it as an
>Administrator.
>7. Reboot the computer and wait until it finishes rebooting.
>8. Plug the tablet back in.
>

>I had a few issues with their instructions. The wintab32.dll file was
>actually in C:\windows\sysWOW64. That was the first thing. Also, the
>file wouldn't delete because it was open in Malwarebytes Tray
>Application. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to close the
>program, so I ended up deleting Malwarebytes off my computer for the
>moment. But then the file still wouldn't delete because it was open in
>OneDrive, then DropBox. So I exited those programs as well.
>
>After getting all the original Huion files off my computer, I
>downloaded the driver from the link they gave me. I forgot to restart
>my computer and tried out the tablet on GIMP and krita and had the
>same problem as before. Then I realized I needed to reboot. So I did
>that, and then everything worked perfectly!
>
>I really don't know what I did wrong when I first installed the
>drivers, but I guess if the problem is solved now, I don't need to
>dwell on that.
>
>For the record, I still have the older version of GIMP installed
>(2.8.18) that someone else on this thread suggested. This version also
>helped me with another little issue I had where the icons were too
>small for a normal human to see.
>
>So hopefully if anyone else has this same problem, they can follow
>these instructions and have the good luck I did!
>

>Peace!

Oh my god I'm so sorry for that eyesore post!!! I didn't know it would format
like that :-O

--
squirrel (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)