Suggestd enhancement

Adalbert Hanßen
Currently you get the option Edit>Paste as>... even if no image is on teh clipboard. Then it takes awfully long untill Gimp tells that there is no image to be pasted on the clipboard.

This happens to me sometimes when I want to make a screenshot but my screenshot tool doesn't do that.

I would suggest that Gimp check if there is something to paste before offering any paste option and grey them out if there is no pastable image on the clipboard.

By the way: Is there anythingon teh Linux operating system level which shows me what is on the clipboard? I mean other than going to an app and try to paste whatever is thre and see what happens?

Re: Suggestd enhancement

Shlomi Fish
Hi Adalbert!

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 13:23:25 +0200
Adalbert Hanßen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Currently you get the option Edit>Paste as>... even if no image is on teh
> clipboard. Then it takes awfully long untill Gimp tells that there is no
> image to be pasted on the clipboard.

I've checked this, and GIMP responded instantly with that error message box, on
my mageia v8 x86-64 system with gimp 2.10.20 and running kde plasma5 and
klipper (with 8 GB of RAM).

So it seems like a local issue on your end. Can you try to see if it happens in
a new unix user?

> This happens to me sometimes when I want to make a screenshot but my
> screenshot tool doesn't do that.
>
> I would suggest that Gimp check if there is something to paste before
> offering any paste option and grey them out if there is no pastable image on
> the clipboard.

The problem with greying out menu options is that often the user is unable to
tell why they are greyed out, and what to do to reenable them. So it will be a
usability issue.

Furthermore, GIMP will need to query the clipboard before displaying the
menubar or menu which will likely also be time consuming on your end.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_ain't_no_such_thing_as_a_free_lunch

> By the way: Is there anythingon teh Linux operating system level which shows
> me what is on the clipboard? I mean other than going to an app and try to
> paste whatever is thre and see what happens?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klipper can do it here, and there may be other
clipboard managers which can as well. Note that "operating system level" may
refer to several layers of kernel code, kernel modules, and processes of
various privileges on Linux, and they often can be replaced by
existing or hypothetical alternatives.

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
https://github.com/sindresorhus/awesome - curated list of lists

A: I’m hungry today.
B: Well, wait until tomorrow. Maybe this feeling will pass.

Re: Suggestd enhancement

Ofnuts-2
On 23/07/2020 16:54, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> Furthermore, GIMP will need to query the clipboard before displaying the
> menubar or menu which will likely also be time consuming on your end.

Worse that that. Large data such as images are not always put in the
clipboard, the source application merely posts the equivalent of an
availability notice in the clipboard, and the pasting application
negotiates what the source application will eventually share (actual
data format, etc...).

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klipper  can do it here, and there may be other
> clipboard managers which can as well.

I would also recommend Klipper, but the version in my Kubuntu 19.10
(5.16.5) makes Gimp crash when it copies image to the clipboard (if I
set Klipper to watch for images).

Re: Suggestd enhancement

Developers mailing list
On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 12:53 PM Ofnuts wrote:

> I would also recommend Klipper, but the version in my Kubuntu 19.10
> (5.16.5) makes Gimp crash when it copies image to the clipboard (if I
> set Klipper to watch for images).

It happens with pretty much any clipboard manager running on Linux.
Annoys the hell out of quite a few people out there, I'm told. We have
a bug report for that, but no fixes whatsoever.

Re: Suggestd enhancement

Adalbert Hanßen
Am 23.07.20 um 16:54 schrieb Shlomi Fish:

> Hi Adalbert!
>
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 13:23:25 +0200
> Adalbert Hanßen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Currently you get the option Edit>Paste as>... even if no image is on teh
>> clipboard. Then it takes awfully long untill Gimp tells that there is no
>> image to be pasted on the clipboard.
>>
> I've checked this, and GIMP responded instantly with that error message box, on
> my mageia v8 x86-64 system with gimp 2.10.20 and running kde plasma5 and
> klipper (with 8 GB of RAM).
>
> So it seems like a local issue on your end. Can you try to see if it happens in
> a new unix user?
I encountered the problem with GIMP 2.8.22 which I preferred to use because GIMP 2.10 came as a snap installation and that did not cooperate with my delayed xfce4-screenshooter starter

xfce4-screenshooter -fmd 7 -o gimp

(unfortunately I use version 1.8.2 of xfce4-screenshooter which does not allow to set the output directory and the standard output directory /tmp is not available in the snap-installed GiIMP 2.10.)

Now I realized that I can use the snap installed version of GIMP in parallel to the installed 2.8.22. Now put some text onto the clipboard and I realized that your observation is right. I do not have klipper installed on my computer. I got the message "die Zwischenablage enthält keine Bilddaten, die eingefügt werden können" (no image data on the clipboard).

However this might have been not the right test since the older version does the same! You may be right, that

xfce4-screenshooter -crm

sometimes does not put an image onto the clipboard although I select a rectangular part of the screen. I'll come back to that when I have an example which does not work wit 2.8.22 but does with 1.10.20 (or does not work with that one).

>> This happens to me sometimes when I want to make a screenshot but my
>> screenshot tool doesn't do that.
>>
>> I would suggest that Gimp check if there is something to paste before
>> offering any paste option and grey them out if there is no pastable image on
>> the clipboard.
>>
> The problem with greying out menu options is that often the user is unable to
> tell why they are greyed out, and what to do to reenable them. So it will be a
> usability issue.
>
> Furthermore, GIMP will need to query the clipboard before displaying the
> menubar or menu which will likely also be time consuming on your end.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_ain't_no_such_thing_as_a_free_lunch
Of course one would have to enquire the type of stuff on the clipboard. But I think that will be much faster than what GIMP currently does until it presents the error message. Apparently if you had an image on the clipboard and then copy some text to it, then GIMP still pastes the image. So the clipboard in Xubuntu seems to be a bit more complicated than I thought before. I don't know for sure what GIMP really does if the content of the clipboard is "no graphics object", like some text or some table or a pointer to an file which is not an image... Those who are prepared to debug GIMP might take a look what happens until GIMP finally throws in the towel because there is no graphics on the clipboard. I guess that's much more work until it finally throws and recovers from such an event and therefore my idea was that it is better to check that earlier. But perhaps just that already has happened between 2.8.22 and 2.10.20.

>> By the way: Is there anythingon teh Linux operating system level which shows
>> me what is on the clipboard? I mean other than going to an app and try to
>> paste whatever is thre and see what happens?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klipper can do it here, and there may be other
> clipboard managers which can as well. Note that "operating system level" may
> refer to several layers of kernel code, kernel modules, and processes of
> various privileges on Linux, and they often can be replaced by
> existing or hypothetical alternatives.

Shlomi,

thank you for your answer.

Kind regards