Stitching Photos

Users mailing list
>I can't seem to make this work; I don't see any option for enlarging the
>workspace.  I can enlarge the canvas as much as I want, but this doesn't change
>the size of the "window" through which my content is visible.  As I paste in the
>second image and slide it over--in this case to the right, it disappears.  It's
>almost like the second image is sliding under the blank background that was
>created when I enlarged the canvas.

I'm not sure what the official way to solve this is, but when I am putting several imagestogether, I look at each in an image viewer to see what the width and height are in pixels, add those figures together as is appropriate to how the images will be placed in the final image (if I am not sure, I just make it bigger than I think I will need - I can always crop it down later), and then open GIMP.I immediately do a File->New> and set the width and height to the figures I calculated,and under Advanced Options set the initial content to Fill With whatever color you want.I usually pick white, but you could use the fore- or background color, or transparency.(You may wish to set the x- and y- resolution, but I don't know if it is really necessary - mine is set to 300 ppi, but I don't know if that is default, or because I set it some time...)
Now that I have a background layer that is (at least) large enough, I then File->Open as Layersall of the images that will be used to make the final image (remember, you can save time byCtrl-Clicking multiple individual files in the same directory, and shift-clicking the first and lastfile of multiple files that are located right next to each other in the same directory).
Now, just move things around as you like, and/or cut/paste parts of one layer onto otherlayers, etc.
Sometimes, when I know that I only want a little from each image, I will just cut/paste bitsof each layer onto the background, and play around with exact placement there, later...
-----
When I go on a trip, I will often use this technique to open pages of a downloaded .pdffile of a complete bus schedule, knowing that I only need a few lines on a few pages.I'll cut and paste those lines, and probably the page headings, on what will end up asonly one printed page, which I can then take with me.

Re: Stitching Photos

Users mailing list
Or maybe just use "Fit Canvas to Layers" every once in a while? :)

https://youtu.be/MYHZaFxor40

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 9:54 PM Scott Jacobs via gimp-user-list <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> >I can't seem to make this work; I don't see any option for enlarging the
> >workspace.  I can enlarge the canvas as much as I want, but this doesn't
> change
> >the size of the "window" through which my content is visible.  As I paste
> in the
> >second image and slide it over--in this case to the right, it
> disappears.  It's
> >almost like the second image is sliding under the blank background that
> was
> >created when I enlarged the canvas.
>
> I'm not sure what the official way to solve this is, but when I am putting
> several imagestogether, I look at each in an image viewer to see what the
> width and height are in pixels, add those figures together as is
> appropriate to how the images will be placed in the final image (if I am
> not sure, I just make it bigger than I think I will need - I can always
> crop it down later), and then open GIMP.I immediately do a File->New> and
> set the width and height to the figures I calculated,and under Advanced
> Options set the initial content to Fill With whatever color you want.I
> usually pick white, but you could use the fore- or background color, or
> transparency.(You may wish to set the x- and y- resolution, but I don't
> know if it is really necessary - mine is set to 300 ppi, but I don't know
> if that is default, or because I set it some time...)
> Now that I have a background layer that is (at least) large enough, I then
> File->Open as Layersall of the images that will be used to make the final
> image (remember, you can save time byCtrl-Clicking multiple individual
> files in the same directory, and shift-clicking the first and lastfile of
> multiple files that are located right next to each other in the same
> directory).
> Now, just move things around as you like, and/or cut/paste parts of one
> layer onto otherlayers, etc.
> Sometimes, when I know that I only want a little from each image, I will
> just cut/paste bitsof each layer onto the background, and play around with
> exact placement there, later...
> -----
> When I go on a trip, I will often use this technique to open pages of a
> downloaded .pdffile of a complete bus schedule, knowing that I only need a
> few lines on a few pages.I'll cut and paste those lines, and probably the
> page headings, on what will end up asonly one printed page, which I can
> then take with me.

https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC

Re: Stitching Photos

Pat David wrote:
>Or maybe just use "Fit Canvas to Layers" every once in a while? :)
https://youtu.be/MYHZaFxor40
Well, THAT'S a handy little procedure!
Thank you for suggesting it!