Spyrogimp plugin rewrite

Long ago, I have written a Spyrogimp plugin in scheme. The plugin is
currently included in gimp (under Filters -> Render -> Spyrogimp). Now I
have done a rewrite in python which I hope is a big improvement:

* It provides immediate feedback, by incremental drawing to a temporary
layer.
* Supports using more tools to draw the pattern (e.g. stroke).
* You can use a non-rectangular selection to serve as the shape of the
"fixed ring". This is done by converting the selection to a path. If the
path has more than one stroke, then a pattern is drawn only for one of
them. ( I might improve that in the near future).
* There is an additional way to specify the pattern, that is compatible
with the notation in the toy kit Spirograph manuals.
* Lots of tooltips

If you want to try it, you can download it here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r2t5o4n4kyvtkmi/spyro.py?dl=0

Feedback is welcome.

Elad

Re: Spyrogimp plugin rewrite

Developers mailing list
Hi Elad,

On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 4:14 PM Elad Shahar via gimp-developer-list <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Long ago, I have written a Spyrogimp plugin in scheme. The plugin is
> currently included in gimp (under Filters -> Render -> Spyrogimp). Now I
> have done a rewrite in python which I hope is a big improvement:
>
> * It provides immediate feedback, by incremental drawing to a temporary
> layer.
> * Supports using more tools to draw the pattern (e.g. stroke).
> * You can use a non-rectangular selection to serve as the shape of the
> "fixed ring". This is done by converting the selection to a path. If the
> path has more than one stroke, then a pattern is drawn only for one of
> them. ( I might improve that in the near future).
> * There is an additional way to specify the pattern, that is compatible
> with the notation in the toy kit Spirograph manuals.
> * Lots of tooltips
>
> If you want to try it, you can download it here:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/r2t5o4n4kyvtkmi/spyro.py?dl=0

That's a cool update, and we could replace the old spyro by the new one (or
on 2.10 at least deprecate the old one and hide it from menus but leave it
alongside for the PDB API).
I wonder if this could not be a GEGL operation also by the way, rather than
a plug-in.

Feedback is welcome.

* Would be nice that hitting "Esc" close the dialog (and cancel the
pattern).
* On my desktop (GNOME on Fedora 28), the dialog shows a broken icon.
* The dialog is much too high. On my screen, part of it is out of screen
(the buttons in particular) so I need to use the Super key + left mouse
click trick to move the window. It would be nice to rearrange the buttons
differently or hide a scrollbar.
* Your new plug-in doesn't provide a non-interactive API as the old one
used to. I think this would be quite needed to be able to replace the old
plug-in correctly.

Apart from these, that is a really cool plug-in. I would update the
repository with this new plug-in once these few points are fixed. :-)
If you answer by email, make sure to name me so that I don't miss the email
(I have filters allowing me to see when I am named so that I don't miss
mailing list emails targeted at me).
Thanks!

Jehan

> Elad

ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net
Patreon: https://patreon.com/zemarmot
Tipeee: https://www.tipeee.com/zemarmot

Re: Spyrogimp plugin rewrite

Developers mailing list
Hi Jehan,

Thanks for your feedback!
The new version is here
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/r1qfmk4r2oc3off/spyro_plus.py?dl=0> .

Here is what I have done:

* I made "Esc" close the dialog (and cancel the pattern).
* The issue with the broken icon was part of a larger issue that made the
plugin look different than other plugins. This was resolved by using
gimpui.py
* I added a non-interactive API.
* I made the dialog less tall, by grouping parameters in notebook tabs.

In addition:

* Using the "selection" shape now draws multiple shapes - if several paths
were generated from the selection-to-path conversion.
* Several new multi-sided shapes were added as fixed rings, with additional
options.
  These produce drawings similar to many guilloche patterns. Examples for
the new shapes are here
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ae238njoafnqe7/example.png?dl=0>.
* I added "long-gradient" support, that spreads across the entire pattern.
  This was available in the previous spyrogimp.scm, and produces nice
results which are difficult to obtain when trying to tune the gradient from
tool settings.
* Improved the speed of incremental drawing by using gobject.idle_add
instead of timeouts.

I'd be glad to fix any other issues.

If the plugin is indeed updated in the repository, could I write
documentation for the manual?

Thanks!
Elad

On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 10:34 PM Jehan Pag├Ęs <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Elad,
>
> On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 4:14 PM Elad Shahar via gimp-developer-list <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Long ago, I have written a Spyrogimp plugin in scheme. The plugin is
>> currently included in gimp (under Filters -> Render -> Spyrogimp). Now I
>> have done a rewrite in python which I hope is a big improvement:
>>
>> * It provides immediate feedback, by incremental drawing to a temporary
>> layer.
>> * Supports using more tools to draw the pattern (e.g. stroke).
>> * You can use a non-rectangular selection to serve as the shape of the
>> "fixed ring". This is done by converting the selection to a path. If the
>> path has more than one stroke, then a pattern is drawn only for one of
>> them. ( I might improve that in the near future).
>> * There is an additional way to specify the pattern, that is compatible
>> with the notation in the toy kit Spirograph manuals.
>> * Lots of tooltips
>>
>> If you want to try it, you can download it here:
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/r2t5o4n4kyvtkmi/spyro.py?dl=0
>

> That's a cool update, and we could replace the old spyro by the new one
> (or on 2.10 at least deprecate the old one and hide it from menus but leave
> it alongside for the PDB API).
> I wonder if this could not be a GEGL operation also by the way, rather
> than a plug-in.
>
> Feedback is welcome.
>>

> * Would be nice that hitting "Esc" close the dialog (and cancel the
> pattern).
> * On my desktop (GNOME on Fedora 28), the dialog shows a broken icon.
> * The dialog is much too high. On my screen, part of it is out of screen
> (the buttons in particular) so I need to use the Super key + left mouse
> click trick to move the window. It would be nice to rearrange the buttons
> differently or hide a scrollbar.
> * Your new plug-in doesn't provide a non-interactive API as the old one
> used to. I think this would be quite needed to be able to replace the old
> plug-in correctly.
>
> Apart from these, that is a really cool plug-in. I would update the
> repository with this new plug-in once these few points are fixed. :-)
> If you answer by email, make sure to name me so that I don't miss the
> email (I have filters allowing me to see when I am named so that I don't
> miss mailing list emails targeted at me).
> Thanks!
>
> Jehan
>

>> Elad

> ZeMarmot open animation film
> http://film.zemarmot.net
> Liberapay: https://liberapay.com/ZeMarmot/
> Patreon: https://patreon.com/zemarmot
> Tipeee: https://www.tipeee.com/zemarmot

Re: Spyrogimp plugin rewrite

Hi Elad.

This is a very interesting feature for GIMP, but as Jehan said earlier, it
would be better to have it as a gegl operation to maximize user experience.

Keep it up ­čĹŹ

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 at 00:54, Elad Shahar via gimp-developer-list <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > pattern).
> > * On my desktop (GNOME on Fedora 28), the dialog shows a broken icon.
> > * The dialog is much too high. On my screen, part of it is out of screen
> > (the buttons in particular) so I need to use the Super key + left mouse
> > click trick to move the window. It would be nice to rearrange the buttons
> > differently or hide a scrollbar.
> > * Your new plug-in doesn't provide a non-interactive API as the old one
> > used to. I think this would be quite needed to be able to replace the old
> > plug-in correctly.
> >
> > Apart from these, that is a really cool plug-in. I would update the
> > repository with this new plug-in once these few points are fixed. :-)
> > If you answer by email, make sure to name me so that I don't miss the
> > email (I have filters allowing me to see when I am named so that I don't
> > miss mailing list emails targeted at me).

Joseph, thanks for the encouragement.

I am looking into implementing this as a gegl operation, but not sure yet I
would be able to do it.

Initially, I viewed Spyrogimp as similar to the Gfig plugin, i.e., mainly
as a tool for creating complex paths. In the "Porting filters to GEGL"
webpage, Gfig appears as "Doesn't need porting".

The other part of Spyrogimp is rendering the complex path with different
gimp tools, which produces interesting results when using different modes
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/bsun48sdc4r9u1s/mode_examples.png?dl=0> or different
tools <https://www.dropbox.com/s/xloekly3aqremw3/tool_examples.png?dl=0>.
I am not sure how that would be possible as a gegl operation.

On the other hand, a Spyrograph gegl operation with on-canvas interaction
would be cool, even if only supporting simple drawing primitives. I might
do that, but that will do only part of the what the Python plugin does.

Is my understanding correct?

Elad

On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 11:31 AM Joseph Bupe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > * The dialog is much too high. On my screen, part of it is out of screen
>> > (the buttons in particular) so I need to use the Super key + left mouse
>> > click trick to move the window. It would be nice to rearrange the
>> buttons
>> > differently or hide a scrollbar.
>> > * Your new plug-in doesn't provide a non-interactive API as the old one
>> > used to. I think this would be quite needed to be able to replace the
>> old
>> > plug-in correctly.
>> >
>> > Apart from these, that is a really cool plug-in. I would update the
>> > repository with this new plug-in once these few points are fixed. :-)
>> > If you answer by email, make sure to name me so that I don't miss the
>> > email (I have filters allowing me to see when I am named so that I don't
>> > miss mailing list emails targeted at me).

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 at 02:57, Elad Shahar via gimp-developer-list <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [image: Boxbe] <https://www.boxbe.com/overview> This message is eligible
> for Automatic Cleanup! ([hidden email]) Add cleanup rule
> <https://www.boxbe.com/popup?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boxbe.com%2Fcleanup%3Fkey%3D7yXG21dpW4VIvKaLjXe%252BIbpnIv7%252FEVPC1akkhmwk7Xs%253D%26token%3D8ugXqWqEFWshOaCGbGvFXojDdVBpdjeUHNhgBdcu3SKduAJjqPirXXEcErupP2sVWdyYuo2V6Yje%252FS2u7y28JqfViKMS4SJued%252BxtOIo7mpvA9ve6uGWMD32q%252FemuDFsp%252FRu5kgxZ%252F5KB7LI4tkY3DWJ%252BPdwUm2w&tc_serial=44234042802&tc_rand=752934605&utm_source=stf&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ANNO_CLEANUP_ADD&utm_content=001>
> | More info
> <http://blog.boxbe.com/general/boxbe-automatic-cleanup?tc_serial=44234042802&tc_rand=752934605&utm_source=stf&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ANNO_CLEANUP_ADD&utm_content=001>
> Joseph, thanks for the encouragement.
>
> I am looking into implementing this as a gegl operation, but not sure yet I
> would be able to do it.
>
> Initially, I viewed Spyrogimp as similar to the Gfig plugin, i.e., mainly
> as a tool for creating complex paths. In the "Porting filters to GEGL"
> webpage, Gfig appears as "Doesn't need porting".
>
> The other part of Spyrogimp is rendering the complex path with different
> gimp tools, which produces interesting results when using different modes
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/bsun48sdc4r9u1s/mode_examples.png?dl=0> or
> different
> tools <https://www.dropbox.com/s/xloekly3aqremw3/tool_examples.png?dl=0>.
> I am not sure how that would be possible as a gegl operation.
>
> On the other hand, a Spyrograph gegl operation with on-canvas interaction
> would be cool, even if only supporting simple drawing primitives. I might
> do that, but that will do only part of the what the Python plugin does.
>
> Is my understanding correct?
>
> Elad

Hi Elad,

I would say if this really requires porting to GEGL. But, you probably need
to consult with other developers, especially Ell.What is interesting though
is if this could be to make it more interact.

By the way, the capability for simple drawings would be really nice to have
too.

Thanks for your efforts and all the best.

Joseph

Re: Spyrogimp plugin rewrite

Hi!

On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 12:47 AM Elad Shahar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jehan,
>
> Thanks for your feedback!
> The new version is here
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/r1qfmk4r2oc3off/spyro_plus.py?dl=0> .

For the record, I saw the email and will review (and merge if no problems)
your code. I have had not much time this week, but hopefully it will be
better next week.
For git authorship, do you confirm I should use the name and email as used
on this mailing list?

As for the GEGL operation discussion, I definitely see how cool it would be.
But if you say it would remove some features, of course we could discuss
how to make the best out of both worlds. I don't know enough about this
plug-in yet to be 100% relevant though. :-)

Here is what I have done:

> * I made "Esc" close the dialog (and cancel the pattern).
> * The issue with the broken icon was part of a larger issue that made the
> plugin look different than other plugins. This was resolved by using
> gimpui.py
> * I added a non-interactive API.
> * I made the dialog less tall, by grouping parameters in notebook tabs.
>
> In addition:
>
> * Using the "selection" shape now draws multiple shapes - if several paths
> were generated from the selection-to-path conversion.
> * Several new multi-sided shapes were added as fixed rings, with
> additional options.
>   These produce drawings similar to many guilloche patterns. Examples for
> the new shapes are here
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ae238njoafnqe7/example.png?dl=0>.
> * I added "long-gradient" support, that spreads across the entire pattern.
>   This was available in the previous spyrogimp.scm, and produces nice
> results which are difficult to obtain when trying to tune the gradient from
> tool settings.
> * Improved the speed of incremental drawing by using gobject.idle_add
> instead of timeouts.
>
> I'd be glad to fix any other issues.
>
> If the plugin is indeed updated in the repository, could I write
> documentation for the manual?

You are more than welcome to contribute to the manual too. The source is
there: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp-help

Same as we welcome patches for GIMP, we also do welcome patches for the
manual. :-)

Jehan

> [...]
>> pattern).
>> * On my desktop (GNOME on Fedora 28), the dialog shows a broken icon.
>> * The dialog is much too high. On my screen, part of it is out of screen
>> (the buttons in particular) so I need to use the Super key + left mouse
>> click trick to move the window. It would be nice to rearrange the buttons
>> differently or hide a scrollbar.
>> * Your new plug-in doesn't provide a non-interactive API as the old one
>> used to. I think this would be quite needed to be able to replace the old
>> plug-in correctly.
>>
>> Apart from these, that is a really cool plug-in. I would update the
>> repository with this new plug-in once these few points are fixed. :-)
>> If you answer by email, make sure to name me so that I don't miss the
>> email (I have filters allowing me to see when I am named so that I don't
>> miss mailing list emails targeted at me).

For authorship, you can use the name and email as used on this mailing list.

On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 12:15 PM Jehan Pag├Ęs <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>>> pattern).
>>> * On my desktop (GNOME on Fedora 28), the dialog shows a broken icon.
>>> * The dialog is much too high. On my screen, part of it is out of screen
>>> (the buttons in particular) so I need to use the Super key + left mouse
>>> click trick to move the window. It would be nice to rearrange the buttons
>>> differently or hide a scrollbar.
>>> * Your new plug-in doesn't provide a non-interactive API as the old one
>>> used to. I think this would be quite needed to be able to replace the old
>>> plug-in correctly.
>>>
>>> Apart from these, that is a really cool plug-in. I would update the
>>> repository with this new plug-in once these few points are fixed. :-)
>>> If you answer by email, make sure to name me so that I don't miss the
>>> email (I have filters allowing me to see when I am named so that I don't
>>> miss mailing list emails targeted at me).

I just wanted to say that there are a lot of meanings to the phrase
"unmonitered email" and, I have been busy with other things and I am
sorry I missed this.  Looks like it might have picked up some spam.

On 10/21/18, Elad Shahar via gimp-developer-list
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> the new shapes are here
>>> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ae238njoafnqe7/example.png?dl=0>.
>>> * I added "long-gradient" support, that spreads across the entire
>>> pattern.
>>>   This was available in the previous spyrogimp.scm, and produces nice
>>> results which are difficult to obtain when trying to tune the gradient
>>> from
>>> tool settings.
>>> * Improved the speed of incremental drawing by using gobject.idle_add
>>> instead of timeouts.
>>>
>>> I'd be glad to fix any other issues.
>>>
>>> If the plugin is indeed updated in the repository, could I write
>>> documentation for the manual?
>>>

>> You are more than welcome to contribute to the manual too. The source is
>> there: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp-help
>>
>> Same as we welcome patches for GIMP, we also do welcome patches for the

I've had my mind elsewhere so haven't reviewed yet, but noticed a new GEGL
operation named "spyrograph" was added with your authorship. Does it do
everything your new plug-in does?

I guess it is probably not worth including the new plug-in if it makes it
to GEGL as a new operation instead. :-)

Jehan

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 11:49 PM Elad Shahar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> for the new shapes are here
>>> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ae238njoafnqe7/example.png?dl=0>.
>>> * I added "long-gradient" support, that spreads across the entire
>>> pattern.
>>>   This was available in the previous spyrogimp.scm, and produces nice
>>> results which are difficult to obtain when trying to tune the gradient from
>>> tool settings.
>>> * Improved the speed of incremental drawing by using gobject.idle_add
>>> instead of timeouts.
>>>
>>> I'd be glad to fix any other issues.
>>>
>>> If the plugin is indeed updated in the repository, could I write
>>> documentation for the manual?
>>>

>> You are more than welcome to contribute to the manual too. The source is
>> there: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp-help
>>
>> Same as we welcome patches for GIMP, we also do welcome patches for the

 The GEGL spyrograph operation is very basic, and untested from gimp.  I
intend to keep developing it, since I thought that on-canvas interaction
would be very user-friendly. However, I am not sure I will be able to get
it work in a way that makes the on-canvas interaction interactive enough.

Even if I do, it will *not *do what the Python plugin can do.  It will be
much more basic.

Perhaps if/when I finish the GEGL operation, you might consider the GEGL
operation not worth including (which is fine, its a learning experience for
me).
But I am for including the Python plug in.

Elad

On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 8:15 PM Jehan Pag├Ęs <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]

> * I added a non-interactive API.
> * I made the dialog less tall, by grouping parameters in notebook tabs.
>
> In addition:
>
> * Using the "selection" shape now draws multiple shapes - if several paths
> were generated from the selection-to-path conversion.
> * Several new multi-sided shapes were added as fixed rings, with
> additional options.
>   These produce drawings similar to many guilloche patterns. Examples for
> the new shapes are here
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ae238njoafnqe7/example.png?dl=0>.
> * I added "long-gradient" support, that spreads across the entire pattern.
>   This was available in the previous spyrogimp.scm, and produces nice
> results which are difficult to obtain when trying to tune the gradient from
> tool settings.
> * Improved the speed of incremental drawing by using gobject.idle_add

So I finally reviewed.

* The background color of self.pattern_notebook is always white, which is
especially a problem with darker themes. Is it only for me? Don't you have
this issue too? I had a look and am unsure where this comes from though
(maybe it's a problem in the theme, but I have no idea).

* I had once a warning about broken undo when setting "Clone" (then I had a
warning about no clone source, but this one is normal) then canceling with
Esc.

Apart from these, it looks good here. :-)

Jehan

> [...]
>> pattern).
>> * On my desktop (GNOME on Fedora 28), the dialog shows a broken icon.
>> * The dialog is much too high. On my screen, part of it is out of screen
>> (the buttons in particular) so I need to use the Super key + left mouse
>> click trick to move the window. It would be nice to rearrange the buttons
>> differently or hide a scrollbar.
>> * Your new plug-in doesn't provide a non-interactive API as the old one
>> used to. I think this would be quite needed to be able to replace the old
>> plug-in correctly.
>>
>> Apart from these, that is a really cool plug-in. I would update the
>> repository with this new plug-in once these few points are fixed. :-)
>> If you answer by email, make sure to name me so that I don't miss the
>> email (I have filters allowing me to see when I am named so that I don't
>> miss mailing list emails targeted at me).

Thanks for the review!
The new version is here
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/r1qfmk4r2oc3off/spyro_plus.py?dl=0>

Here is what I have done:

* The problem with the background color happens only in some themes, when
using a notebook where the tabs are set to be invisible. That was what I
was using.
I did not manage to make the odd background color go away, so I just
changed the UI to use a notebook with the tabs visible.  So this should be
solved.

* As for the clone issue, I did not manage to fix the issue, so I just
removed "Clone" from the list of tools.

Thanks!
Elad

On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 8:58 PM Elad Shahar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jehan,
>
> Thanks for the review!
> The new version is here
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/r1qfmk4r2oc3off/spyro_plus.py?dl=0>
>
> Here is what I have done:
>
> * The problem with the background color happens only in some themes, when
> using a notebook where the tabs are set to be invisible. That was what I
> was using.
> I did not manage to make the odd background color go away, so I just
> changed the UI to use a notebook with the tabs visible.  So this should be
> solved.
>
> * As for the clone issue, I did not manage to fix the issue, so I just
> removed "Clone" from the list of tools.

Sad! The clone source seemed like a cool feature. I'll see if I can fix
this myself then. :-)

Jehan