Some resources?

Erica De Jesus
I am currently looking for extra gradients, brushes,
and patterns for the GIMP. I have a project and I
don't think the provided tools are sufficient. Does
anyone know some sites that provide the tools I
mentioned above for download? Thnx in advance.

Re: Some resources?

Olivier Ripoll
Erica wrote:
> I am currently looking for extra gradients, brushes,
> and patterns for the GIMP. I have a project and I
> don't think the provided tools are sufficient. Does
> anyone know some sites that provide the tools I
> mentioned above for download? Thnx in advance.

You can fine really nice brushes and patterns there:
http://www.artcamilla.dk/vaultage/cornucopia/

and also at the graphics Muse stuff:
http://www.graphics-muse.com/gfxmuse/muse-brushes-1.html
http://www.graphics-muse.com/gfxmuse/muse-brushes-2.html
http://www.graphics-muse.com/gfxmuse/muse-patterns.html

Best regards,

Olivier.

Re: Re: Some resources?

Erica De Jesus
--- Olivier Ripoll <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Erica wrote:
> > I am currently looking for extra gradients,
> brushes,
> > and patterns for the GIMP. I have a project and I
> > don't think the provided tools are sufficient.
> Does
> > anyone know some sites that provide the tools I
> > mentioned above for download? Thnx in advance.
>
> You can fine really nice brushes and patterns there:
> http://www.artcamilla.dk/vaultage/cornucopia/
>
> and also at the graphics Muse stuff:

http://www.graphics-muse.com/gfxmuse/muse-brushes-1.html

http://www.graphics-muse.com/gfxmuse/muse-brushes-2.html

http://www.graphics-muse.com/gfxmuse/muse-patterns.html

> Best regards,
>
> Olivier.

Thanks! I'm quite sure I can finish this project with
superb graphics. Have you got anymore?

Re: Re: Some resources?

Carol Spears
On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 02:15:41PM +0100, Erica wrote:

> --- Olivier Ripoll <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Erica wrote:
> > > I am currently looking for extra gradients, brushes,
> > > and patterns for the GIMP. I have a project and I
> > > don't think the provided tools are sufficient.  Does
> > > anyone know some sites that provide the tools I
> > > mentioned above for download? Thnx in advance.
> >
> > You can fine really nice brushes and patterns there:
> > http://www.artcamilla.dk/vaultage/cornucopia/
> >
> > and also at the graphics Muse stuff:
> http://www.graphics-muse.com/gfxmuse/muse-brushes-1.html
> http://www.graphics-muse.com/gfxmuse/muse-brushes-2.html
> http://www.graphics-muse.com/gfxmuse/muse-patterns.html
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Olivier.
> >
> Thanks! I'm quite sure I can finish this project with
> superb graphics. Have you got anymore?

i spent a few days gathering urls for resources, it is not finished and
there is not as many actual resources there as are in the other urls:
http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/resources/

there are also instructions there about how to make your own gradients
(borrowed gradients never worked well for me).  making your own brushes
is outlined on the gimp web site in three tutorials.  classic.gimp.org
has a tutorial about how to make seamless patterns the old fashioned
way.

http://classic.gimp.org/data.html if i remember correctly, adrian put a
few hundred gradients there.

search engines will help.

carol

Re: Some resources?

Olivier Ripoll
Carol Spears wrote:

> On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 02:15:41PM +0100, Erica wrote:
>
>>--- Olivier Ripoll <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>>You can fine really nice brushes and patterns there:
>>>http://www.artcamilla.dk/vaultage/cornucopia/
>>>
>>>and also at the graphics Muse stuff:
>>
>>http://www.graphics-muse.com/gfxmuse/muse-brushes-1.html
>>http://www.graphics-muse.com/gfxmuse/muse-brushes-2.html
>>http://www.graphics-muse.com/gfxmuse/muse-patterns.html
>>
>>>Best regards,
>>>
>>>Olivier.
>>>

>>Thanks! I'm quite sure I can finish this project with
>>superb graphics. Have you got anymore?
>>

> i spent a few days gathering urls for resources, it is not finished and
> there is not as many actual resources there as are in the other urls:
> http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/resources/
>
> there are also instructions there about how to make your own gradients
> (borrowed gradients never worked well for me).  making your own brushes
> is outlined on the gimp web site in three tutorials.  classic.gimp.org
> has a tutorial about how to make seamless patterns the old fashioned
> way.
>
> http://classic.gimp.org/data.html if i remember correctly, adrian put a
> few hundred gradients there.
>
> search engines will help.
>
> carol

Hello Carol,

Tigert has some palettes (it seems the 2 visibone are already in gimp,
but I do not see the others)
http://www.tigert.com/gimp/palettes/

Although they are more scientific-oriented than artistic, the scientific
gradients are interesting (there is also a script on that web site):
http://www.thomas-lotze.de/en/software/gimp/gradients.html

Just my .02 links cents.

Best regards,

Olivier

Re: Re: Some resources?

Carol Spears
On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 09:11:54AM +0200, Olivier Ripoll wrote:

> Carol Spears wrote:
> >
> >i spent a few days gathering urls for resources, it is not finished and
> >there is not as many actual resources there as are in the other urls:
> >http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/resources/
> >
> >there are also instructions there about how to make your own gradients
> >(borrowed gradients never worked well for me).  making your own brushes
> >is outlined on the gimp web site in three tutorials.  classic.gimp.org
> >has a tutorial about how to make seamless patterns the old fashioned
> >way.
> >
> >http://classic.gimp.org/data.html if i remember correctly, adrian put a
> >few hundred gradients there.
> >
> >search engines will help.
> >
> Tigert has some palettes (it seems the 2 visibone are already in gimp,
> but I do not see the others)
> http://www.tigert.com/gimp/palettes/
>
> Although they are more scientific-oriented than artistic, the scientific
> gradients are interesting (there is also a script on that web site):
> http://www.thomas-lotze.de/en/software/gimp/gradients.html
>
> Just my .02 links cents.

well, thank you for this reminder about tigerts resources; to make that web
page, i was simply searching the web and pasting the urls to a list.  i got
bored and the list is incomplete.  it is a task for when i am more braindead.

the mathy gradients are new to me.  thanks for the url.

carol

Re: Some resources?

Helen Etters
I went to one of the sites quoted in this thread, opened
a brush, saved it to disk.  But how do I make it available to Gimp?
Thanks,
Helen

On 5/25/05, Erica <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am currently looking for extra gradients, brushes,
> and patterns for the GIMP. I have a project and I
> don't think the provided tools are sufficient. Does
> anyone know some sites that provide the tools I
> mentioned above for download? Thnx in advance.

Re: Some resources?

Sven Neumann
Hi,

Helen Etters <[hidden email]> writes:

> I went to one of the sites quoted in this thread, opened
> a brush, saved it to disk.  But how do I make it available to Gimp?

Throw the files into one of the folders configured as brushes search
path.  "~/.gimp-2.2/brushes" should do the trick.

Sven

Re: Some resources?

Olivier Ripoll
Carol Spears wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 09:11:54AM +0200, Olivier Ripoll wrote:
>
> well, thank you for this reminder about tigerts resources; to make that web
> page, i was simply searching the web and pasting the urls to a list.  i got
> bored and the list is incomplete.  it is a task for when i am more braindead.
>
> the mathy gradients are new to me.  thanks for the url.
>
> carol

Hi Carol,

I was doing some hard drive cleanup today when I found a file called
"gimp_brushes.zip" containing 22 brushes. I found it was released in
2003 under GPL on the gimpwin mailing list (see this message)
http://www.spinics.net/lists/gimpwin/msg00673.html
Unfortunately, the link given in the original message is not working
anymore.

Do you know where these brushes can be downloaded nowadays?

If there is no such place anymore, are you interested in receiving the
zip archive ? I can send the file by email, it is 152 KiB big. The
brushes are mainly flower/animal images. As such they are not so useful,
but could be for kids or as a gimp pipe brush.

Best regards,

Olivier.

Re: Re: Some resources?

Carol Spears
On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 05:21:14PM +0200, Olivier Ripoll wrote:

> I was doing some hard drive cleanup today when I found a file called
> "gimp_brushes.zip" containing 22 brushes. I found it was released in
> 2003 under GPL on the gimpwin mailing list (see this message)
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/gimpwin/msg00673.html
> Unfortunately, the link given in the original message is not working
> anymore.
>
> Do you know where these brushes can be downloaded nowadays?

to be honest, i did not last long on the gimpwin mail list.  there is
only so many hours in a day, do many days in a lifetime ....  then there
is the additional problem of not using brushes that often, the way i use
gimp.  i know very little about what has happened the other mail lists.

> If there is no such place anymore, are you interested in receiving the
> zip archive ? I can send the file by email, it is 152 KiB big. The
> brushes are mainly flower/animal images. As such they are not so useful,
> but could be for kids or as a gimp pipe brush.

i grabbed some brushes from a new chix gimp course also; that project
starts from a mail list that wants to know some things about you before
they share -- so, i keep those in my own resources waiting for a time to
try them.  it is interesting how and what people share and then what you
are supposed to do when you just share what you know without limiting it
to special groups.

my biggest problem with hosting resources like this on my web site is that
i do not have the time to see if the files contain what they said they do
and if the resources others have put together actually work.

that being said, i would have no problem putting them on my web site
untested and unresearched by me as long as i can give as much credit to
the creators of the resource pack as i know of.  if the gimpwin mail
list is to get the credit, then so be it.

giving credit where credit is due should work to implicate where the not
so good stuff comes from as well as where the good stuff came from.

if i were running windows, i would most certainly not be very anxious
for yet another zipped file of free things.

all this being said, sure -- i will put the brushes on carol.gimp.org
and anything else that people think make good resources for TheGIMP.

i got into this because i was upset that so many computers were being
bought and sold with only windows installed which violated everything i
was taught about how my country and good business works.  "this" being
promoting the gnu/linux version of TheGIMP.

i would rather be sharing linux resources and not be in need of
explanations about why promoting and advocating choices for human beings
has reduced this human into a choiceless and sorry excuse for the human
who started this (simply out of love for her species).

mail them to me and thanks,
carol