Size photo so it will consistently print at a specific size

Size photo so it will consistently print at a specific size

rich404
Hi there!

My friend and I are avid, rabid photographers.  ;-)  He is -far- more advanced
than I in using GIMP (GIMP 2.10.10 ~~  on Windows 10 machines) to edit photos
while I'm just learning.  But independently we have a "problem" we can't seem to
resolve -- so I am VERY MUCH hoping You have the answer!

We want to size / save an edited photo so it specifically will fit (without any
further editing, cropping, or other manipulations) a frame size -- ie, so we can
save it as what would print as an 8-1/2 x 10 ...or as a 7-1/2 x 11-1/2 inch
size.  Now, I'll copy his explanation -- and hope Hope HOPE you can please help
us??? Thank you SOOO Much!!!

His description of our problem:

" I need to be able to crop my photo with specific dimensions, ( 8x10 etc)
export it to thumb drive for photo store to print and frame. When I use
rectangle tool it’s a perfect square (wrong dimension).Once it’s a square and I
change to 8x10 it becomes a distorted photograph. I’m familiar with the image
scale process but the tool box on side of program confuses me. The fix ratio
etc. Why are there two places to change size? The Scale plus the tool box ratio
side? I’m missing a step or doing wrong sequence. I make sure I use inches and
also at least 300 DPI..When the photo store corrects to fit a frame much of
photo is lost including my signature at times. They all use PhotoShop or
Lightroom and unfamiliar with Gimp program. My photos are fine but I can’t crop
and scale to standard frame sizes for the print store. I found no Utube
tutorials for step by step to follow.

" I am totally baffled trying to save an image to specific size for printing at
a photo store. My imported photos into Gimp are 6000 x 4000 from camera (not
raw). I click on the rectangle tool which opens tools for ratios, fixed etc on
right side column of Gimp program. I change the pix numbers to inches such as
8.00 x 10.00 and hit fixed. The ratio I believe is at 1:1. Then I go into scale
and again change to inches and type the 8x10 again. After which I export as
.jpg. The two sizes I am most interested in are: 7.5 x 11.5 and the 8:00 x
10:00's. Watch all sorts of Gimp tutorials and found nothing that help with step
by step guide. In addition to this problem when I crop an image it's sizes are
uncommon for framing.. If anyone can guide me through this I would deeply
appreciate it."

I SO VERY MUCH HOPE YOU CAN HELP!!!

Thank you!!!

ps...............the saved image is simply because a file is required to be able
to post this question---it is not 'the' photo driving us nuts, just a thing to
be able to post our question; again, thanks!!

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1205/original/744259.jpg

--
SandyGranny (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Size photo so it will consistently print at a specific size

Rick Strong-2
OK. Simple solution is a two-step process:
• Crop to the aspect ratio you want.
• Scale the photo to the size to fit the frame at 300 dpi.

1. Your imported photos are 6 x 4 ratio (6000 x 4000).
2. You need to CROP your photos to 8 x 10 ratio (Or 7.5 x 11.5 or 8.5 x 10,
or whatever frame size you want to fit them into.)
3. Open the cropping tool. A dialog will open that has a check box: "Fixed"
and at the far RH end of that line "Aspect Ratio". Check both.
4. Below that is a blank line where you enter the Aspect Ration you want.
Say, 10:8 for a landscape photo. Anything you crop now will be of the right
proportion (not size) to fit an 8" X 10" frame.
5. Crop the photo.

Now Scale the photo to the desired size by changing one dimension only. The
proportion will always be the same.
1. Go to Image > Scale Image.
2. Make sure the chain link symbol is joined
3. Choose "in" for inches, then enter one of the finished dimensions, say
10, in the appropriate box.
4. Click Scale.

Replay: Crop to the correct proportions, THEN make it the actual size.

Rick S.

Size photo so it will consistently print at a specific size

>We want to size / save an edited photo so it specifically will fit
>(without any further editing, cropping, or other manipulations) a
>frame size -- ie, so we can save it as what would print as an 8-1/2 x
>10 ...or as a 7-1/2 x 11-1/2 inch size.  Now, I'll copy his
>explanation
>" I need to be able to crop my photo with specific dimensions, ( 8x10
>etc) export it to thumb drive for photo store to print and frame.
>I can’t crop and scale to standard frame sizes for the print store. I
>found no Utube tutorials for step by step to follow.

There are a few operations there, sometimes separate, sometimes linked.

Cropping is often for composing your image, although can be for trimming excess
off. Set the crop tool to a fixed aspect ratio and apply. That loses part of the
image.

The result can be set to size for printing in Image -> Print Size. This does not
change the pixel size of the image. The required size and  pixels-per-inch (ppi)
value are saved with the image (metadata) and used by the printing software (or
should be).

If you want to set a different ppi with a defined size  then scale the image.
Image -> Scale Image. This will change the pixel size of the image, depends how
much scaling, and can lose detail. A modern camera image should not be a
problem.

No videos? Here is a short, 5 minute demo of the above.
https://youtu.be/VMye0G77lD4

This is Gimp 2.10 - just using a light theme and adjusted toolbox - makes easier
viewing as a video.

Also included adding a border to fit on a defined paper size. Some print
franchises totally ignore the image metadata and will fit an image  to paper
size no-matter-what. A border can circumvent that.

PS. You should not need to add an image to post here. Also. You have chosen a
terrible forum for detailed replies. Top posting / bottom posting /
quote-after-quote.... For pure photography then try  https://discuss.pixls.us/
and there are a couple of other dedicated Gimp forums if you search.

Size photo so it will consistently print at a specific size

rich404
>There are a few operations there, sometimes separate, sometimes
>linked.
>
>Cropping is often for composing your image, although can be for
>trimming excess off. Set the crop tool to a fixed aspect ratio and
>apply. That loses part of the image.
>
>The result can be set to size for printing in Image -> Print Size.
>This does not change the pixel size of the image. The required size
>and  pixels-per-inch (ppi) value are saved with the image (metadata)
>and used by the printing software (or should be).
>
>If you want to set a different ppi with a defined size  then scale the
>image. Image -> Scale Image. This will change the pixel size of the
>image, depends how much scaling, and can lose detail. A modern camera
>image should not be a problem.
>
>No videos? Here is a short, 5 minute demo of the above.
>https://youtu.be/VMye0G77lD4
>
>This is Gimp 2.10 - just using a light theme and adjusted toolbox -
>makes easier viewing as a video.
>
>Also included adding a border to fit on a defined paper size. Some
>print franchises totally ignore the image metadata and will fit an
>image  to paper size no-matter-what. A border can circumvent that.
>
>PS. You should not need to add an image to post here. Also. You have
>chosen a terrible forum for detailed replies. Top posting / bottom
>posting / quote-after-quote.... For pure photography then try
>https://discuss.pixls.us/ and there are a couple of other dedicated
>Gimp forums if you search.
OH THANK YOU SO VERY VERY MUCH!!!!! <3    T H A N K   Y O U !!!!!!!!!!!!

--
SandyGranny (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Size photo so it will consistently print at a specific size

rich404
>  THANK YOU

If you have any problems, the video is quick, just ask