Quantcast

Set default Save As folder?

Andrew Stivelman
Is there a way to set a default folder as the destination when clicking Save As?  It is kludgy to continually have to change the location each time the file is ready to be exported from the .xcf to another graphic format.  Thanks.

Andrew Stivelman
Senior Technical Writer
Office: 416.941.6190 | Mobile: +1 (416) 346.5439

        [cid:image003.png@01D2B1F4.955C33B0] <http://www.sysomos.com/>

Re: Set default Save As folder?

Partha Bagchi-2
On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 12:18 PM, Andrew Stivelman <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Is there a way to set a default folder as the destination when clicking
> Save As?  It is kludgy to continually have to change the location each time
> the file is ready to be exported from the .xcf to another graphic format.
> Thanks.
>

> Well, the priority for exporting image is as follows:
/* Priority of default paths for Export:
   *
   *   1. Last Export path
   *   2. Path of import source
   *   3. Path of XCF source
   *   4. Last path of any save to XCF
   *   5. Last Export path of any document
   *   6. The default path (usually the OS 'Documents' path)
   */

Re: Set default Save As folder?

Carol Spears-2
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there a way to set a default folder as the destination when clicking Save As?  It is kludgy to continually have to change the location each time the file is ready to be exported from the .xcf to another graphic format.  Thanks.

You can add directories to the file chooser:

Go to the parent of the directory you would like to add to the file chooser.

Select the directory.

Right click on the left pane and select add.

There is an edit option so you can change the name that is displayed.

Carol Spears

Set default Save As folder?

Kalanco
>On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 12:18 PM, Andrew Stivelman
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>You can add directories to the file chooser:
>
>Go to the parent of the directory you would like to add to the file
>chooser.
>
>Select the directory.
>
>Right click on the left pane and select add.
>
>There is an edit option so you can change the name that is displayed.
>
>Carol Spears

This is confusing. Firstly, where and what is the file chooser?  Secondly what
parent directory and what left pane?

Half explained information isn't really of much use.

--
Lusus (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Set default Save As folder?

Kalanco
>This is confusing. Firstly, where and what is the file chooser?
>Secondly what parent directory and what left pane?
>
>Half explained information isn't really of much use.

That is the Gimp File -> Open dialog.

Bottom left are + & - icons for adding / removing folder locations.

see: example 1

Then when added, click to go straight to the folder

see: example 2

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/575/original/01.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/576/original/02.jpg

Set default Save As folder?

Kalanco
>That is the Gimp File -> Open dialog.
>
>Bottom left are + & - icons for adding / removing folder locations.
>
>see: example 1
>
>Then when added, click to go straight to the folder
>
>see: example 2

My attempt at explaining this. Full sentences help:

The easiest way to add a default save/export folder is to do it from within
Gimp.

As you’re about to export your image you’ll inevitably be taken to the default
export folder. Navigate to the folder you want to save the image to, then look
to the left of the export window.

Towards the lower left you’ll see a ‘+’ icon below a panel with a few folder
names. Select your preferred folder from the list to the right of the export
window then click the ‘+’ icon to bookmark the folder to the panel.

Gimp may not automatically open this folder when you next export an image, but
it will be easily accessible from this list of bookmarks. Just click it and Gimp
will open it for you to export to.

If this sounds a little confusing, follow the steps with Gimp open and it should
make sense.

--
Lusus (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Set default Save As folder?

Kalanco
When explaining pretty much anything like this online its best to assume the
reader has little or no knowledge of what you're trying to say. Otherwise more
often than not it won't make sense.

I write tutorials as well as read them, and it can be very frustrating when
people cut corners. Quite frankly if you don't give the full information the
reader is looking for, its a waste of both your time and theirs.

--
Lusus (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Set default Save As folder?

Michael Schumacher

On 05/15/2017 08:19 PM, Lusus wrote:

> When explaining pretty much anything like this online its best to assume the
> reader has little or no knowledge of what you're trying to say. Otherwise more
> often than not it won't make sense.
>
> I write tutorials as well as read them, and it can be very frustrating when
> people cut corners. Quite frankly if you don't give the full information the
> reader is looking for, its a waste of both your time and theirs.

I know that user manuals of all software are to be shunned, but dare I
suggest to provide the readers with links to:

- the File->Open dialog
https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-file-open.html

- the File->Save dialog
https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-save-dialog.html

where the user interface elements mentioned in this thread are visible
and get explained?

Re: Set default Save As folder?

Steve Kinney

On 05/15/2017 05:58 PM, Michael Schumacher wrote:

> I know that user manuals of all software are to be shunned, but dare I
> suggest to provide the readers with links to:
>

> - the File->Open dialog
> https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-file-open.html
>
> - the File->Save dialog
> https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-save-dialog.html
>

> where the user interface elements mentioned in this thread are visible
> and get explained?

Links to manual pages rule, there are none higher.  If, that is, the
manual provides explicit instructions for the very thing wanted.
Otherwise, a more detailed explanation /and/ links to relevant manual
pages rule, etc.

Although on some occasions one must simply post screen shots of the
process.  Rare occasions, fortunately.

:o)