Selection tool lines

rich2005
I'm trying to make a selected region darker. To do this I'm trying to cut a
piece of the photo out to a new layer and change the colour mask of that layer,
but when I try to cut it out, it leaves this white line in the photo where it
cut. Any ideas how I can avoid this?

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/580/original/liness.png

--
Karl22 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Selection tool lines

rich2005
>I'm trying to make a selected region darker. To do this I'm trying to
>cut a piece of the photo out to a new layer and change the colour mask
>of that layer, but when I try to cut it out, it leaves this white line
>in the photo where it cut. Any ideas how I can avoid this?

The clue is in your post, you are **cutting** then pasting over in a new layer.
This leaves a legacy of anti-aliased (semi transparent pixels)

see for the cut http://i.imgur.com/9DLb9dM.jpg

see for the paste http://i.imgur.com/ub92l3m.jpg

One solution is to turn off anti-aliasing **before** making the selection, which
while giving an 'invisible' join http://i.imgur.com/XKPxRL3.jpg

Makes a horrible jaggy border when the selection is color adjusted.
http://i.imgur.com/9jsG4CM.jpg

A better way is keep anti-aliasing **on** then COPY **not cut** then paste. That
will give a better border when color adjusted. http://i.imgur.com/Mb6ul1x.jpg

rich: www.gimp-forum.net