Scanner/Camera menu item not available

chrisj
I use GIMP 2.9.5 on Linux MInt.
I can use my Scanner through other programmes but when I run GIMP and go to
File-> Create there is no Scanner/Camera option.
There are the options From Clipboard, From Webpage, Screenhot but no
Camera/Scanner.

The Scanner is recognised by the OS but not by GIMP. When I type lsusb my HP
scanner is clearly on the list.
Any ideas?

--
Freelife_software (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Scanner/Camera menu item not available

chrisj
>I use GIMP 2.9.5 on Linux MInt.
>I can use my Scanner through other programmes but when I run GIMP and
>go to File-> Create there is no Scanner/Camera option.
>There are the options From Clipboard, From Webpage, Screenhot but no
>Camera/Scanner.
>
>The Scanner is recognised by the OS but not by GIMP. When I type lsusb
>my HP scanner is clearly on the list.
>Any ideas?

Did you install the xsane package, which includes the gimp plugin?

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/444/original/xsane.jpg

Re: Scanner/Camera menu item not available

Alexandre Prokoudine
On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 1:08 AM, Freelife_software wrote:
> I use GIMP 2.9.5 on Linux MInt.
> I can use my Scanner through other programmes but when I run GIMP and go to
> File-> Create there is no Scanner/Camera option.
> There are the options From Clipboard, From Webpage, Screenhot but no
> Camera/Scanner.
>
> The Scanner is recognised by the OS but not by GIMP. When I type lsusb my HP
> scanner is clearly on the list.
> Any ideas?

Install XSane?

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 2:46 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

> Install XSane?

That said, XSane was last updated in 2013, and it's unclear if it's
even compatible with GIMP 2.8. API changes in 2.8.x and 2.9.x may be
not very forgiving to software that isn't actively maintained.

Besides, v0.999 only supports LittleCMS 1.x which is becoming
uinavailable in repositories.

Re: Scanner/Camera menu item not available

Andrew
On 28/01/17 13:19, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 2:46 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
>
>> >Install XSane?

Imagescan is another option.

http://support.epson.net/linux/en/iscan_c.html

Andrew

Scanner/Camera menu item not available

chrisj
>Imagescan is another option.
>
>http://support.epson.net/linux/en/iscan_c.html
>
>Andrew

thanks everyone for their answers. I was under the impression that Xsane is not
needed anymore as the scan works perfectly well with Simple Scan within the OS.

I can confirm that GIMP 2.9.5 works well with Xsane.
Cheers

On Sat, 2017-01-28 at 15:19 +0300, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 2:46 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
>
> > Install XSane?
>
> That said, XSane was last updated in 2013, and it's unclear if it's
> even compatible with GIMP 2.8.

Seems to work fine here.

>  API changes in 2.8.x and 2.9.x may be
> not very forgiving to software that isn't actively maintained.

Right now you can only scan 8-bit per channel images with the xsane
gimp plugin, although the standalone xsane is fine.

Is there anything for Linux systems that competes with XSane? the other
scanning programs I've seen are very limited - e.g. can't select a page
area (whole page only) or can't choose bit depth, or can't tell the
scanner to focus on the glass or the film holder, or to use the
document feeder, or don't have a "batch' feature where you choose
several areas on the page to be scanned when you press the button on
the scanner (or the Ok button in the interface).

The xsane gimp plugin is often packaged separately from XSane and
separately from GIMP.

Liam

Re: Scanner/Camera menu item not available

Kevin Cozens-2
On 2017-04-09 03:32 AM, Liam R. E. Quin wrote:
> Is there anything for Linux systems that competes with XSane?

Another program for scanning is VueScan. IIRC, the website states they also
support older scanners. I think they are also supposed to handle scanners
that have the ability to scan slides.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include <disclaimer/favourite> |             --Chris Hardwick

Re: Scanner/Camera menu item not available

Jay Smith-6
On 04/10/2017 07:15 PM, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> On 2017-04-09 03:32 AM, Liam R. E. Quin wrote:
>> Is there anything for Linux systems that competes with XSane?
>
> Another program for scanning is VueScan. IIRC, the website states they
> also support older scanners. I think they are also supposed to handle
> scanners that have the ability to scan slides.

Regarding VueScan, I have used the free version, and quickly paid for
the pro version.  It is worth every single penny.  The owner has quickly
and very helpfully responded to my technical questions which dealt with
scanning issues, not product issues.  I am just a user and have no
relationship with the product or owner.  However, I could not imagine
using any other product and would have been happy to pay much more for it.

An additional benefit, other than dozens of other useful features, of
VueScan: If you want to create a calibration for your scanner(s) [using
a color target you have to obtain elsewhere], you can load that
calibration from within VueScan.  It really helps deal with the color
problems caused by some scanners, or just some problems caused by
scanners as their electronics age.

And yes, it can deal with slide scanners, etc., etc., etc.  Their
scanner list is in the hundreds of models.

Jay

--
Jay Smith

e-mail: [hidden email]  mailto:[hidden email]
website: http://www.JaySmith.com

Jay Smith & Associates
P.O. Box 650
Snow Camp, NC  27349  USA