Scaling Font Without Changing Layer Type

Scaling Font Without Changing Layer Type

Roundball
I was wondering if there is a way to scale font in GIMP without changing the
layer type. For example, I would like to change a font's horizontal size while
still being able to add more font to that layer. Is there a plugin that would
allow me to do this?

--
AbsurdBlackBear (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Scaling Font Without Changing Layer Type

Noel Stoutenburg
AbsurdBlackBear wrote:
> I was wondering if there is a way to scale font in GIMP without changing the
> layer type. For example, I would like to change a font's horizontal size while
> still being able to add more font to that layer. Is there a plugin that would
> allow me to do this?

If the text you want to change is still in a text layer, then the answer
is, "You don't need a plug-in; highlight the text you want to change,
and make the changes using the text edit." If the font is no longer a
text layer, the answer is likely, "not easily".

In your workflow, if you thing you're going to want to change a bit of
text, don't merge it into anything but another text layer.

ns

Scaling Font Without Changing Layer Type

Roundball
>AbsurdBlackBear wrote:
>If the text you want to change is still in a text layer, then the
>answer
>is, "You don't need a plug-in; highlight the text you want to change,
>and make the changes using the text edit." If the font is no longer a
>text layer, the answer is likely, "not easily".
>
>In your workflow, if you thing you're going to want to change a bit of
>text, don't merge it into anything but another text layer.
>
>ns

Thank you for your response. Yeah I'm not merging the font, but just that when I
use the scale tool the text layer turns into an image layer though the scale
tool is the only tool that seems to do what I want for editing the size of the
font.

--
AbsurdBlackBear (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Scaling Font Without Changing Layer Type

Roundball
>Thank you for your response. Yeah I'm not merging the font, but just
>that when I use the scale tool the text layer turns into an image
>layer though the scale tool is the only tool that seems to do what I
>want for editing the size of the font.

You are not using the on-canvas editing. Highlight - click and swipe - portions
of text and change the properties. see screenshots

change font http://i.imgur.com/JSia7gw.jpg

change size http://i.imgur.com/YStpCYk.jpg

change colour http://i.imgur.com/uQ5NQ7S.jpg

addn more text http://i.imgur.com/VKo02wE.jpg

You do need to differentiate between global changes using the text tool options
and the canvas text tool dialog. Plenty how-to's around, a bit old but this is
mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChcTE9KROmc&hd=1

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Re: Scaling Font Without Changing Layer Type

Steve Kinney

On 02/23/2017 04:54 PM, AbsurdBlackBear wrote:
> I was wondering if there is a way to scale font in GIMP without changing the
> layer type. For example, I would like to change a font's horizontal size while
> still being able to add more font to that layer. Is there a plugin that would
> allow me to do this?

I don't think there's a way to do that.

If you are looking to /stretch/ a font, your best option might be to
convert the text to a path, switch on the scaling tool, and in the tool
options dock, make it active for paths (that's a button at the top of
the dialog).  In the Paths dialog, make the path visible and back on the
canvas, scale it wider (or etc).

Quick way to turn a text layer into a path:  Right click in the active
layer and select "Text to path."

:o)

On 24/02/17 10:20, rich2005 wrote:

>> Thank you for your response. Yeah I'm not merging the font, but just
>> that when I use the scale tool the text layer turns into an image
>> layer though the scale tool is the only tool that seems to do what I
>> want for editing the size of the font.
> You are not using the on-canvas editing. Highlight - click and swipe - portions
> of text and change the properties. see screenshots
>
> change font http://i.imgur.com/JSia7gw.jpg
>
> change size http://i.imgur.com/YStpCYk.jpg
>
> change colour http://i.imgur.com/uQ5NQ7S.jpg
>
> addn more text http://i.imgur.com/VKo02wE.jpg
>

> You do need to differentiate between global changes using the text tool options
> and the canvas text tool dialog. Plenty how-to's around, a bit old but this is
> mine
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChcTE9KROmc&hd=1
>
> rich: www.gimp-forum.net

The OP wants to stretch the font horizontally...

On 23/02/17 22:54, AbsurdBlackBear wrote:
> I was wondering if there is a way to scale font in GIMP without changing the
> layer type. For example, I would like to change a font's horizontal size while
> still being able to add more font to that layer. Is there a plugin that would
> allow me to do this?

None I know of. The best thing you can do is have a horizontal guide to
make sure everything is aligned, and put the parts of text you want to
stretch in separate text layers. To stretch them, don't use the scale
tool directly because this will slightly but visibly blur the edges. Use
Layer>Text to path, scale the path(*), and these use that path as a
selection that you fill on a new layer. Then hide the source text layer.

(*) Easy technique for this: duplicate the text layer, mark it "linked",
and mark the path "linked" too. Then scale the duplicate layer, which
will scale the path due to the links. Then discard the duplicate layer.
You can also duplicate the path directly but this can be cumbersome
because you'll be scaling something as big as a the image instead of
scaling a layer.

--

http://www.gimp-forum.net

Scaling Font Without Changing Layer Type

Roundball
>The OP wants to stretch the font horizontally...

Which could of course include spacing the characters out a bit....but probably
not.

rich