Scale and rotate at same time

chrisj
Good morning!

I am working on a project where I have to bring in about 40 different layers
into this project. As I bring them in, I need to put them into position, by
rotating them at different  angles, while they are still in the scale mode.
Apparently, such an action is not allowed. I'm finding one either rotates them
before one scales, or one can't rotate after one scales. I could always rotate
them before hand, but what good would that do. Due to the fact I don't know what
correct angle there supposed to be at until they are shrunk.

My question is, "can a person manipulate an object by rotating it, while in the
"scale" mode. And if so "how"? If someone could get back ASAP, I would
appreciate it, cause I'm currently working on the project now! Thanks!

--
Gimpgreenhorn (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Scale and rotate at same time

chrisj
>Good morning!
>
>I am working on a project where I have to bring in about 40 different
>layers into this project. As I bring them in, I need to put them into
>position, by rotating them at different  angles, while they are still
>in the scale mode. Apparently, such an action is not allowed. I'm
>finding one either rotates them before one scales, or one can't rotate
>after one scales. I could always rotate them before hand, but what
>good would that do. Due to the fact I don't know what correct angle
>there supposed to be at until they are shrunk.
>
>My question is, "can a person manipulate an object by rotating it,
>while in the "scale" mode. And if so "how"? If someone could get back
>ASAP, I would appreciate it, cause I'm currently working on the
>project now! Thanks!

I could be wrong but I do not think there is a script or plugin that will let
you scale and rotate at the same time in Gimp 2.8 in real time.

You could use the measure tool and record the length/angle between two points
for use in the scale/rotate dialogues.

Otherwise you might have to wait for Gimp 2.10 or try out 2.9.5 dev version

For Gimp 2.9.5 Windows try www.partha.com and for linux 'buntu & derivatives
there is a ppa. OSX ?

This is diving straight in, there is probably a better way of using the handle
transform tool but it is all in one go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N5LdgNLE-o  all of 1 min 30 secs

rich:www.gimp-forum.net

Re: Scale and rotate at same time

On 14/04/17 16:22, Gimpgreenhorn wrote:

> Good morning!
>
> I am working on a project where I have to bring in about 40 different layers
> into this project. As I bring them in, I need to put them into position, by
> rotating them at different  angles, while they are still in the scale mode.
> Apparently, such an action is not allowed. I'm finding one either rotates them
> before one scales, or one can't rotate after one scales. I could always rotate
> them before hand, but what good would that do. Due to the fact I don't know what
> correct angle there supposed to be at until they are shrunk.
>
> My question is, "can a person manipulate an object by rotating it, while in the
> "scale" mode. And if so "how"? If someone could get back ASAP, I would
> appreciate it, cause I'm currently working on the project now! Thanks!

If you are scaling and rotating to align two layers there is my
ofn-layer-straightener script, where you indicate two points on the
reference layer, two points on the adjusted layer, and then ask the
script to move/scale/rotate the adjusted layer so that the two pairs of
points overlap.

See https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-tools/files/scripts/

Re: Scale and rotate at same time

Richard Gitschlag
Actually, the "Perspective Transform" tool can also be used for any combination of scale, rotate, and shear, but it only works if you're diligent about what the values shown in the transformation matrix mean and how to manipulate them.

-- Stratadrake

[hidden email]
--------------------

________________________________

For Gimp 2.9.5 Windows try www.partha.com<http://www.partha.com> and for linux 'buntu & derivatives
there is a ppa. OSX ?

This is diving straight in, there is probably a better way of using the handle
transform tool but it is all in one go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N5LdgNLE-o  all of 1 min 30 secs

rich:www.gimp-forum.net

--
rich2005 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums<http://www.gimpusers.com/forums>)
[http://www.gimpusers.com/assets/news_without_preview-35e621160a49ad0e6c18ac84161f548e.jpg]<http://www.gimpusers.com/forums>

Forums — gimpusers.com<http://www.gimpusers.com/forums>
www.gimpusers.com
Forums. While there are many different GIMP forums of there, our own forums provide an extended way to communicate because they are connected to the official GIMP ...

mail.gnome.org
GNOME.org. Home; Mailing Lists; List Archives; Search

Scale and rotate at same time

chrisj
If you are happy to use GIMP V2.9.x you can use the Unified Transform tool.

--
programmer_ceds (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)