Quantcast

Save dialog: can I get some sort of history?

Save dialog: can I get some sort of history?

ramendik
Hello,

I use the Gimp to take files from one directory (raw photos), process them,
and save them into another directory (photos for
sending/publishing/printing/etc).

Each time I save a photo, I have to navigate to the saving directory
manually...

Is it possible to somehow have the Save dialog store this directory iin some
form of history, so I could easily select it?

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik

Re: Save dialog: can I get some sort of history?

Sven Neumann
Hi,

Mikhail Ramendik <[hidden email]> writes:

> I use the Gimp to take files from one directory (raw photos),
> process them, and save them into another directory (photos for
> sending/publishing/printing/etc).
>
> Each time I save a photo, I have to navigate to the saving directory
> manually...
>
> Is it possible to somehow have the Save dialog store this directory
> iin some form of history, so I could easily select it?

There's the bookmarks pane on the left. You can add your directory
there for quick access.

Sven

Re: Save dialog: can I get some sort of history?

Owen-24
On Sun, 08 May 2005 13:20:41 +0200
Sven Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Is it possible to somehow have the Save dialog store this directory
> > iin some form of history, so I could easily select it?
>
> There's the bookmarks pane on the left. You can add your directory
> there for quick access.

I am probably missing something.

Where is this bookmark pane?

If I do File->Save as I get a dialogue box which allows me to save in

Desktop
Filesystem
Mail?
or the directory where the image came from

The only way I can get to another directory is to navigate there, and navigate there every time.

Owen

Re: Save dialog: can I get some sort of history?

Olivier Ripoll
Owen wrote:

> On Sun, 08 May 2005 13:20:41 +0200
> Sven Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>>Is it possible to somehow have the Save dialog store this directory
>>>iin some form of history, so I could easily select it?
>>
>>There's the bookmarks pane on the left. You can add your directory
>>there for quick access.
>

> I am probably missing something.
>
> Where is this bookmark pane?

Have a look at this (old) screenshot of the open dialog.
http://developer.gimp.org/screenshots/gimp-open-dialog.png

The Save dialog is very similar (without the preview pane).
The bookmarks are on the left, under the Home, Desktop, Filesystem ...
icons. You see an horizontal line, and folders that are in realioty
bookmarks to folders. You can add and remove bookmarks with the add and
remove buttons (the are active whem a folder is selected).

Of course, the first time (when creating the bookmark) you need to click
on the "Browse for other folders" cross to access this view.

Best regards,

Olivier.

Owen <[hidden email]> writes:

> I am probably missing something.

Indeed.

> Where is this bookmark pane?

It is left to the file-list. In the Save dialog, it is hidden in the
"Browse for other folders" section but of course these bookmarks are
shared between Open and Save dialogs (in all GTK+ applications).

Sven

Sven Neumann wrote:

> It is left to the file-list. In the Save dialog, it is hidden in the
> "Browse for other folders" section but of course these bookmarks are
> shared between Open and Save dialogs (in all GTK+ applications).

Could one somehow make the "browse for other folders" section open by default?

Mikhail Ramendik wrote:

> Sven Neumann wrote:
>

>>It is left to the file-list. In the Save dialog, it is hidden in the
>>"Browse for other folders" section but of course these bookmarks are
>>shared between Open and Save dialogs (in all GTK+ applications).
>

> Could one somehow make the "browse for other folders" section open by default?

I will probably say a stupid thing here, but I think it would go against
the HIG (Human Interface Guidelines) of Gnome:
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/principles-simplicity.html

Regards,

Olivier.

PS: (My personal opinion is that the HIG has to be changed and the
options of filetype and location should be visible.)

Re: Re: Save dialog: can I get some sort of history?

Michael Schumacher
Olivier Ripoll wrote:

> Mikhail Ramendik wrote:

> > Could one somehow make the "browse for other folders" section open by
> > default?

> I will probably say a stupid thing here, but I think it would go against
> the HIG (Human Interface Guidelines) of Gnome:

And? ;)

> PS: (My personal opinion is that the HIG has to be changed and the

Yes - GIMP as one of the leading GTK+ apps should be able define some things
of the HIG.

> options of filetype and location should be visible.)

Folder yes, filetype no, at least if we're talking about default settings.
Of course, the dialogs should be able to save the defaults, if the user
wants it.

Filetype selection is an expert feature, the "By extension" is one of the
best ways of using file extensions.

+++ Neu: Echte DSL-Flatrates von GMX - Surfen ohne Limits +++
Always online ab 4,99 Euro/Monat: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl