Retrieving Graphic Designs From Crashed Hard Drive (How To)

Retrieving Graphic Designs From Crashed Hard Drive (How To)

curbstone9
Old Hard Drive crashed. Many GIMP graphic designs on disk.

Have new Hard Drive, and external case for old drive folder/design recovery (if possible).

My Questions:
1. Where do I look on the old hard drive for the designs? Which folder/subfolder?
2. If I find my designs -- where do I move them TO on the new hard drive (Gimp 2.8.20 installed) so I can use them again?

Am I out of luck -- or is recovery possible?

Thanks VERY much for any assistance.

Bill Landry
skippercdruscg@gmail.com

Re: Retrieving Graphic Designs From Crashed Hard Drive (How To)

Daniel Smith-13
you didnt say whether you were on windows or mac, but i would search your
pc for the name of any files you know the name that you saved it to. that
will show you the folder(s) where all or some of the files are. if i were
you i'd try to install the same version that you were using so it makes a
replica of the previous install, then just try copying the whole folder
replacing the new similar one etc. try that and see. make a backup on disk
or thumb drive to make sure you dont lost it if something goes wrong.
dan

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 2:13 PM, curbstone9 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Old Hard Drive crashed. Many GIMP graphic designs on disk.
>
> Have new Hard Drive, and external case for old drive folder/design recovery
> (if possible).
>
> My Questions:
> 1. Where do I look on the old hard drive for the designs? Which
> folder/subfolder?
> 2. If I find my designs -- where do I move them TO on the new hard drive
> (Gimp 2.8.20 installed) so I can use them again?
>
> Am I out of luck -- or is recovery possible?
>
> Thanks VERY much for any assistance.
>
> Bill Landry

Re: Retrieving Graphic Designs From Crashed Hard Drive (How To)

If your old drive is usable, and you can attach it to your computer at the same time as the new one,
then you should be all right:
1) your files should be in the same place as before - same directory structure.
2) Make a folder on your new drive with a path/name that seems logical to you,
and copy whatever containing folder has all your design folders in it to this new folder.
Drag-n-drop, or select the old folder, "copy", and click in the new folder and "paste".
All sub-folders ought to get copied automatically, I would think....

If the drive does not work, then you will need to go to a shop/firm that does recovery,
and have them try to rescue what they can from it (if any can be).  Tell them you want things kept
in the same directory/folder-structure you had before (I would guess they would do so
automatically, but ...).  This may be expensive, but you will be the best judge of whether
it is worth it to you to get your files back or not.  It sounds like there are a lot of them.
That might be enough to convince you to do it.  Also, if these were work-related files,
then I would guess you would probably bite-the-bullet and do it.

Re: Retrieving Graphic Designs From Crashed Hard Drive (How To)

Partha Bagchi-2

> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 2:13 PM, curbstone9 <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Old Hard Drive crashed. Many GIMP graphic designs on disk.
> >
> > Have new Hard Drive, and external case for old drive folder/design
> recovery
> > (if possible).
> >
> > My Questions:
> > 1. Where do I look on the old hard drive for the designs? Which
> > folder/subfolder?

I'm guessing that you made your designs and saved them to your GIMP folder?
If yes, then on Windows 7 or higher, you'll find them under
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.8. Otherwise they should be in
your Home Folder\.gimp-2.8. If you are using a Mac, they are under
/Users/YourUserName/Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.8.

> > 2. If I find my designs -- where do I move them TO on the new hard drive
> > (Gimp 2.8.20 installed) so I can use them again?

Move them to the same spot as above.

> > Am I out of luck -- or is recovery possible?

This depends on how much damage was done to the HD. You may have to get a
hard disk recovery program or send it to recovery experts depending on how
much your data is worth to you.

> > Thanks VERY much for any assistance.
> >
> > Bill Landry
> > [hidden email]

Re: Retrieving Graphic Designs From Crashed Hard Drive (How To)

curbstone9
Many thanks to Partha Bagchi and Daniel Smith for their answers to my query. I'll follow their advice to retrieve. Blessings!!

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 6:57 AM, Partha Bagchi-2 [via GIMP] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 2:13 PM, curbstone9 <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> > Old Hard Drive crashed. Many GIMP graphic designs on disk.
> >
> > Have new Hard Drive, and external case for old drive folder/design
> recovery
> > (if possible).
> >
> > My Questions:
> > 1. Where do I look on the old hard drive for the designs? Which
> > folder/subfolder?

I'm guessing that you made your designs and saved them to your GIMP folder?
If yes, then on Windows 7 or higher, you'll find them under
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.8. Otherwise they should be in
your Home Folder\.gimp-2.8. If you are using a Mac, they are under
/Users/YourUserName/Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.8.

> > 2. If I find my designs -- where do I move them TO on the new hard drive
> > (Gimp 2.8.20 installed) so I can use them again?

Move them to the same spot as above.

> > Am I out of luck -- or is recovery possible?

This depends on how much damage was done to the HD. You may have to get a
hard disk recovery program or send it to recovery experts depending on how
much your data is worth to you.

> > Thanks VERY much for any assistance.
> >
> > Bill Landry
> > [hidden email]
> >

> > --

http://gimp.1065349.n5.nabble.com/Retrieving-Graphic-Designs-From-Crashed-Hard-Drive-How-To-tp50211p50215.html
To unsubscribe from Retrieving Graphic Designs From Crashed Hard Drive (How To), click here.
NAML