Request information

Francesco
Dear developers,
I'm sorry, my name is Francesco, and I would first like to congratulate you on the tremendous work that you are pursuing to develop GIMP.
Thanks to you thousands of people can use a high-level graphics program, for free. Thank you for that.
I contact you to give you information, which I do not know if you are already aware:
In practice, this is the last version of GIMP (2.8.22) and I noticed that it is not possible to import or export EPS files.
I tried to apply the procedure listed on the official site's document page to fix the problem (https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-using-external-programs.html), but I could not solve the problem problem.
Since in the latest version of GIMP (2.8.22) I have noticed that it is quite possible to import and export the EPS file, I would like to know that this is a bug or a choice to permanently delete this file.
Thank you in advance for any reply you want to give me, thank you again for all your extraordinary work, and I take the opportunity to wish you a wonderful day.
So many gentle greetings
Francis

Re: Request information

Alexandre Prokoudine
On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 3:07 PM, Francesco wrote:
> Dear developers,
> I'm sorry,

Francesco, what could you possibly be sorry for?

> Since in the latest version of GIMP (2.8.22) I have noticed that it is quite possible to import and export the EPS file, I would like to know that this is a bug or a choice to permanently delete this file.

Could you please provide more details?

C R

Re: Request information

C R
Hi Francesco - no need to be sorry. :)
Regarding your question, GIMP should be able to import and export EPS,
so it was not a concious decision to stop supporting the format or
anything. In fact in 2.9x development versions it's still there, still
working (both import and export).

To export the current project to EPS, follow these steps:

1. Go to the "File" menu and choose "Export As"
2. Then you can just type your file name like "yourfilename.eps" and
click the "Export" button
3. When you type .eps at the end of the file name, GIMP will
automatically pop up an export dialog for eps where you can choose the
options you want.

If these steps do not work for you, please advise where you are
getting stuck, and we will try to help you further.

Thanks for your compliments and for using GIMP!
-C

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 1:07 PM, Francesco <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear developers,
> I'm sorry, my name is Francesco, and I would first like to congratulate you on the tremendous work that you are pursuing to develop GIMP.
> Thanks to you thousands of people can use a high-level graphics program, for free. Thank you for that.
> I contact you to give you information, which I do not know if you are already aware:
> In practice, this is the last version of GIMP (2.8.22) and I noticed that it is not possible to import or export EPS files.
> I tried to apply the procedure listed on the official site's document page to fix the problem (https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-using-external-programs.html), but I could not solve the problem problem.
> Since in the latest version of GIMP (2.8.22) I have noticed that it is quite possible to import and export the EPS file, I would like to know that this is a bug or a choice to permanently delete this file.
> Thank you in advance for any reply you want to give me, thank you again for all your extraordinary work, and I take the opportunity to wish you a wonderful day.
> So many gentle greetings
> Francis

Re: Request information

Michael Schumacher
On May 16, 2017 9:17:10 AM GMT+02:00, C R <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi Francesco - no need to be sorry. :)
>Regarding your question, GIMP should be able to import and export EPS,
>so it was not a concious decision to stop supporting the format or
>anything.

Have a look at the commit log for the gimp-2-8 branch:

https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/log/?h=gimp-2-8

tl;dr:

When creating and testing the 2.8.22 installer, Jernej found that the Postscript and MNG  plug-ins crash on 32 bit Windows platforms.

The decision was Mae to rather have no support than crashing plug-ins.

Anyone who want to change this is invited to figure out why the crashes happen - the best way to start would be to be on the #gimp IRC channel on European evening to learn fron Jernej how exactly the filters were crashing.