Quantcast

Replace text from given pic

oneaty
I'd like to replace a text from a given picture like:
- remove text
- change font
- write new text

How do I do this?

--
Chris1 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Replace text from given pic

Noel Stoutenburg
Chris1, unfortunately, when  wrote:
> I'd like to replace a text from a given picture like:
> - remove text
> - change font
> - write new text
>
> How do I do this?
unfortunately, you did not provide as much information as you might have
to answer the question, but in general, it's more likely than not that
you won't be able to do what you want to do. There are a few sets of
circumstances where it might be possible.  For example, it might be
possible if the new text in the new font covers the old font completely,
so that it is obscured. Also, if the file is in a format (like the
native GIMP ~.xcf format) that supports layers, and the text is in a
separate layer or layers, then you could delete the layers containing
the text and replace the text with new layers. If the text is in ~.xcf
format, and the text layers have been left separate, then you might be
able to edit the particular text items directly specifying the new font,
and editing in the new text.

But my hunch is that these combinations of characteristics will be rare,
and in most cases, it will not be possible to do what you wish to
accomplish.

ns

Certain details about the file format, including whether the images are
in ~.xcf format or not, and if the layers of the original have been
preserved or not, are very important facts which directly impact the
ability to do a you wish.

In the case of an ~.xcf file (native GIMP format)

Re: Replace text from given pic

 The main problem with removing text from an ordinary image, is that while one can possibly
select the text (by color, or some such) and delete it ("Edit->Clear"), one is left with a text-shaped hole in
the image - either background color or transparent if there is an alpha channel.
An earlier reply suggested that if the replacement text were larger than the original, it could
perhaps be placed above the hole, centered, and thus block the hole with the new text.
There is a remote chance that the image is such that Heal Selection could fill in the holes without
leaving objectionable artifacts, and then one would be able to just make new text and place it
where wanted in the image.
Your new text should remain as a separate layer, positioned above the rest of the image,
and the image saved as GIMP's .xcf file type, so that you don't have this problem again.

Heal Selection is a plug-in, available separately and installed, or possibly already part of certain
GIMP packages (Partha?).

Re: Replace text from given pic

Partha Bagchi-2
On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 8:22 PM, Scott Jacobs via gimp-user-list <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Heal Selection is a plug-in, available separately and installed, or
> possibly already part of certain
> GIMP packages (Partha?).
>

> Yes, Heal Selection is part of my 2.8 series. It will not be part of 2.9
series till it's able to handle high bit depth images.

In the meantime, please use the heal selection in G'MIC which is installed
with the 2.9 series.

Thanks,
Partha