Quantcast

Removing background with images with a lot of inner detail of image

Removing background with images with a lot of inner detail of image

rich2005
Hi, gotta question for my fellow gimpsters. Working on a project, need to use
pictures of pine boughs and pine cones in project. One can go around the outer
image, and remove the background. But "how" does one remove the background
coming through between the "pine needles", before placing the pinecone/needle
image on my project?

Please detail each action one needs to take, to completely remove background
showing "through" and around" pine needle image, ...beginning to end. Thank you!

--
Gimpgreenhorn (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Removing background with images with a lot of inner detail of image

Ofnuts-2
On 23/03/17 21:23, Gimpgreenhorn wrote:
> Hi, gotta question for my fellow gimpsters. Working on a project, need to use
> pictures of pine boughs and pine cones in project. One can go around the outer
> image, and remove the background. But "how" does one remove the background
> coming through between the "pine needles", before placing the pinecone/needle
> image on my project?
>
> Please detail each action one needs to take, to completely remove background
> showing "through" and around" pine needle image, ...beginning to end. Thank you!

The solution depends on the kind of backcground. If the background is
noticeably lighter than the pines/boughs (for instance, sky):

- add a layer mask, and initialize the layer mask with a grayscale copy
of the layer, inverted (then the sky bits, being black in the mask would
make the corresponding part of the image transparent)

- adjust contrast (likely, add some) and brightness on the mask to put a
progressive cut-off around the right values (you can also do it with Curves)

Removing background with images with a lot of inner detail of image

>Hi, gotta question for my fellow gimpsters. Working on a project, need
>to use pictures of pine boughs and pine cones in project. One can go
>around the outer image, and remove the background. But "how" does one
>remove the background coming through between the "pine needles",
>before placing the pinecone/needle image on my project?
>
>Please detail each action one needs to take, to completely remove
>background showing "through" and around" pine needle image,
>...beginning to end. Thank you!

I had the same problem then found an excellent tutorial i don't have time to go
trough step by step so here it is check it out by your self
http://geektechypro.tk/2017/03/remove-background-from-image-gimp-free-tool/
it is the second option advanced.

--
spothelight (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)