Remove Transparencies

aznelson
Hi, i am newby with graphic program.
I am make a  photomontage with three layer, the second layer has alpha channel
and i don't want to dispaly the little square.
I tried to follow these instructions
https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/it/gimp-layer-alpha-remove.html
I tryied to go to windows->channel and hide the alpha chanel, but i still see
those little square.
Pls help me

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1373/original/Immagine.png

--
bungle77 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Don't visualize Transparencies

aznelson
>Hi, i am newby with graphic program.
>I am make a  photomontage with three layer, the second layer has alpha
>channel
>and i don't want to dispaly the little square.
>I tried to follow these instructions
>https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/it/gimp-layer-alpha-remove.html
>I tryied to go to windows->channel and hide the alpha chanel, but i
>still see
>those little square.
>Pls help me
>
>Attachments:
>*
>https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1373/original/Immagine.png

Maybe i should be more detailed, i don't want to remove alpha channel, i just
don't wwant to see the square were there is the transparency

--
bungle77 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Don't visualize Transparencies

Michael Schumacher
On 3/7/20 11:54 AM, bungle77 wrote:

>> https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1373/original/Immagine.png
>

> Maybe i should be more detailed, i don't want to remove alpha channel, i just
> don't wwant to see the square were there is the transparency

What do you want to see instead?

Remove Transparencies

aznelson
>What do you want to see instead?
>

>--
>Regards,
>Michael
>GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD

I want to see the layer behind.
I think it is very easy and i feel myself very stupid, but i just want to see
the japanese flag instead of the square of the transparency

--
bungle77 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Remove Transparencies

aznelson
>I want to see the layer behind.
>I think it is very easy and i feel myself very stupid, but i just want
>to see
>the japanese flag instead of the square of the transparency

best guess.

You have gone to some web site advertising transparent images, and taken a
screenshot. Not the way to do it.

Maybe like this:  https://i.imgur.com/e3L2b4h.jpg

The checker pattern in Gimp only indicates transparency. What you have is
picture of a checker pattern. Go back and see if you can download the image
again as a .png file which supports transparency.  If that is not possible then
you might get a reasonable result using Gimp foreground extract see:
https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-tutorial-quickie-separate.html

That will separate the checker background of your image to allow a layer
underneath to show:  https://i.imgur.com/boaIzgZ.jpg

Remove Transparencies

aznelson
Thanks, i take the image here
https://toppng.com/explosion-png-images-explosion-PNG-free-PNG-Images_276828?search-result=explosion-dust
i save as image (see attached file)

If it is not a real transparency as you said, i should be able to delete it with
the rubber, but i can't do it

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1374/original/1-14725_download-transparent-background-explosion-png-clipart.png

--
bungle77 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Remove Transparencies

aznelson
>Thanks, i take the image here
>https://toppng.com/explosion-png-images-explosion-PNG-free-PNG-Images_276828?search-result=explosion-dust
>i save as image (see attached file)
>
>If it is not a real transparency as you said, i should be able to
>delete it with
>the rubber, but i can't do it

You need to add transparency (alpha channel) to the image for the eraser to work
(otherwise it paints in the BG colour)

Use menu Layer -> Transparency -> Add Alpha Channel   If that entry is greyed
out, the image already has an alpha channel

For some images, a fuzzy select on the background, and Edit -> Cut might be
sufficient  see: https://imgur.com/H7UYgg7

Others will be more difficult, your attached image originally had
semi-transparent pixels in the edge. Never going to be wonderful without a bit
of correction.  https://imgur.com/IGwfRt8

Save your work as a Gimp .xcf image which keeps layers, transparency. Export as
a .png to flatten an image and keep transparency.

On 07/03/2020 11:54, bungle77 wrote:

>> Hi, i am newby with graphic program.
>> I am make a  photomontage with three layer, the second layer has alpha
>> channel
>> and i don't want to dispaly the little square.
>> I tried to follow these instructions
>> https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/it/gimp-layer-alpha-remove.html
>> I tryied to go to windows->channel and hide the alpha chanel, but i
>> still see
>> those little square.
>> Pls help me
>>
>> Attachments:
>> *
>> https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1373/original/Immagine.png
>
> Maybe i should be more detailed, i don't want to remove alpha channel, i just
> don't wwant to see the square were there is the transparency

The squares indicate transparency, like the ants show the selection.
They are not part of the image and won't appear in the image that you
export.

You can use Edit>Preferences>Interface>Display>Transparency to replace
that indication with something else (uniform black/gray/white, for
instance).

Re: Remove Transparencies

Michael Schumacher
Am 07.03.20 um 12:53 schrieb bungle77:

> Thanks, i take the image here
> https://toppng.com/explosion-png-images-explosion-PNG-free-PNG-Images_276828?search-result=explosion-dust
> i save as image (see attached file)

If you take the image that is shown there, then you are working with the
preview image the site is showing you. In this preview, the added
checkerboard pattern is used to symbolize transparency, because that
aspect is otherwise hard to see (pun intended).

Notice that there is also a link there to download the larger version?
That one is the file you want, and it has got proper transparency.

This is quite common for such image sites, and something you have to
understand when getting transparent images from them, unless you want to
do unnecessary extra steps like the following every time you get images
from there:

> If it is not a real transparency as you said, i should be able to delete it with
> the rubber, but i can't do it

Remove Transparencies

aznelson
yes this is the reason... i knew it, it was a very stupid things
thanks a lot

On Sat, 2020-03-07 at 14:54 +0100, Ofnuts wrote:
> https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1373/original/Immagine.png
> >
> > Maybe i should be more detailed, i don't want to remove alpha
> > channel, i just
> > don't wwant to see the square were there is the transparency

You see this when there's nothing below that part of hte image - e.g.
you only have one layer.

One approach is to make a new layer filled with solid white (or black
or whatever) and drag it (in the layers dialogue) beneath the one with
transparency. Delete that layer before exporting the file to png or gif
(JPEG does not support transparency)

I don't advise using edit->preferences to change the way transparency
is displayed, as that will likely you bite you some time in the future,
when you try & make a transparent image and can't follow the tutorial
:)

Slave liam

Click here to have the slave rewarded with extra chores.