Remove Background

Tom-4

Hi,
I need to remove  the white background from a clip art I will be using. Can GIMP software do this?
Thanks
Sent from my iPad

Re: Remove Background

Steve Kinney

On 07/27/2017 11:43 AM, Tom wrote:

> Hi,
> I need to remove  the white background from a clip art I will be using. Can GIMP software do this?

If the background is the only white in the image, you can do:

Colors > Color to alpha

That will make the white background transparent in one go.

If your foreground image does have some white in it, you can select the
white area(s), followed by Select > Invert.  Then the above command will
not affect the white bits of the foreground image.

:o)

Re: Remove Background

Steve Kinney

On 07/28/2017 05:08 PM, Steve Kinney wrote:

> On 07/27/2017 11:43 AM, Tom wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I need to remove  the white background from a clip art I will be using. Can GIMP software do this?
>
> If the background is the only white in the image, you can do:
>
> Colors > Color to alpha
>
> That will make the white background transparent in one go.
>
> If your foreground image does have some white in it, you can select the
> white area(s), followed by Select > Invert.  Then the above command will
> not affect the white bits of the foreground image.

And BTW, if that fails, right click the image thumbnail in the Layers
dialog dock, and make sure the layer has an Alpha channel.  That is
necessary for transparency.

Remove Background

chrisj
>And BTW, if that fails, right click the image thumbnail in the Layers
>dialog dock, and make sure the layer has an Alpha channel.  That is
>necessary for transparency.

thanks for this

--
jammartinez760 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)