Recommendation on GIMP

Users mailing list
Dear GIMP developer, Hello, I am an amateur designer who loves GIMP very much, I used to think that adobe photoshop was irreplaceable until I came across GIMP, however, over time I am a bit disappointed with the current development of GIMP, which may make you angry, but I still feel the need to say something, please forgive the offense. Here are a few points I'd like to make about my expectations and views on GIMP
First of all, GIMP is no worse than Photoshop in terms of image processing, but in terms of memory footprint and speed, it's a lot worse, and I understand that, so I'm not complaining too much about it, but I think it can be optimized.
Secondly, from what I understand, GIMP is almost two decades old, which results in extremely old code, so many new features can be very difficult to add, especially non-destructive edits and multi-selected layers, which should be in the underlying layer.
So, I think GIMP developers, you can really try to rebuild GIMP again, because his code is so old, and as far as I know migrating from GTK2.0 to GTK3.0 is no less difficult than a rewrite.
In my understanding, the non-destructive edit is a very ground floor thing, he's like the foundation of a house, and the current GIMP is the equivalent of a house already built, but the foundation is very shaky because he lacks the most core of functional non-destructive edits!
I think non-destructive editing is essential for image processing because no one wants their workflow to be a destructive one, the same goes for layer multi-selection, there is a lot of logic to GIMP's work that is beyond my comprehension, and there is a deep meaning to it, but he does cause me great distress in my day-to-day experiences, such as the floating selection feature, where a new layer pops up a new window, and I think these are all things that can greatly consume the time we spend working.
So re-build one and refine these features as an underlying layer so that you can better refine this great software! The refactoring doesn't mean it kills the software, I think it means the rebirth of the software, and you can see how much BLENDER is refreshed after the refactoring, as I think GIMP can do!
Next I'll talk about a few features that can be used as a base build, for reference only.
The first is non-destructive editing, this is the basis for all filters and adjustments, and I think he is very important
The second is the layer selection operation, i.e. multi-selecting layers and transforming them at the same time
The third is that whenever we select a tool, we can arrange his tool options in the top column
The fourth is the hybrid style of the layers.
I think it's not necessary to change the image as a separate tool, but as an option, like Photoshop, to go back to the previous tool when I'm done, which saves us time when switching tools.
As a fan of GIMP, I really love this software, but the speed with which he is now processing images and updating the content makes me very sad, I always feel that I can't touch that most critical step, I really think GIMP should take the brave step of reconstruction, I believe you guys will complete a beautiful rebirth, just like back then, of course, reconstruction means starting from scratch, the time it takes is unpredictable, but than now, I would rather wait for your reconstruction, no matter how long it is!!!
Lastly, because my English is really limited, there may be description and grammatical errors in some places, please also understand, and finally, please forgive me for the offense, I really love this software so much!
Wishing you all a great life, thanks! Hats off to you great people!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

发送自 Windows 10 版邮件<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>应用

Re: Recommendation on GIMP

Users mailing list
I am not a developer but a translator nevertheless I feel that I can answer to
some of the questions here.

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 01:07:06PM +0000, yang junjie via gimp-user-list wrote:
> Dear GIMP developer, Hello, I am an amateur designer who loves GIMP
> very much, I used to think that adobe photoshop was irreplaceable until I
> came across GIMP, however, over time I am a bit disappointed with the
> current development of GIMP, which may make you angry, but I still feel
> the need to say something, please forgive the offense. Here are a few
> points I'd like to make about my expectations and views on GIMP

Ok

> First of all, GIMP is no worse than Photoshop in terms of image
> processing,

good to hear that!

> but in terms of memory footprint and speed, it's a lot worse,
> and I understand that, so I'm not complaining too much about it, but I
> think it can be optimized.

yes, and I am confident that it will improve over time...

> Secondly, from what I understand, GIMP is almost two decades old, which
> results in extremely old code, so many new features can be very difficult
> to add, especially non-destructive edits and multi-selected layers, which
> should be in the underlying layer.

GIMP devs did a great deal of rebuild in the last 5 years or so,
therefore they already did what you are suggesting to do here. The devs
was sooooo able to maintain the good old look and feel but really, GIMP
is a new beast now!

> So, I think GIMP developers, you can really try to rebuild GIMP again,
> because his code is so old, and as far as I know migrating from GTK2.0 to
> GTK3.0 is no less difficult than a rewrite.
>
> In my understanding, the non-destructive edit is a very ground floor
> thing, he's like the foundation of a house, and the current GIMP is the
> equivalent of a house already built, but the foundation is very shaky
> because he lacks the most core of functional non-destructive edits!
>
> I think non-destructive editing is essential for image processing
> because no one wants their workflow to be a destructive one, the same
> goes for layer multi-selection, there is a lot of logic to GIMP's work
> that is beyond my comprehension, and there is a deep meaning to it, but
> he does cause me great distress in my day-to-day experiences, such as the
> floating selection feature, where a new layer pops up a new window, and I
> think these are all things that can greatly consume the time we spend
> working.

As I said above, devs already did what you are suggesting. Guess what?
One of the goals of this overhaul is to enable non-destructive edit in
GIMP!

> So re-build one and refine these features as an underlying layer so
> that you can better refine this great software! The refactoring doesn't
> mean it kills the software, I think it means the rebirth of the software,
> and you can see how much BLENDER is refreshed after the refactoring, as I
> think GIMP can do!

... there are some news coming soon, I don't want to spoil the surprise
but, stay tuned!

[...]

--

Saluton,
Marco Ciampa

Re: Recommendation on GIMP

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 4:07 PM yang junjie wrote:

> Dear GIMP developer,...

Hello,

What if I told you that the foundation of GIMP is not shaky and ready
for non-destructive editing?

What if I told you that multi-layer selection is already done for the
most part and will be released as an experimental feature in the first
unstable version leading up to v3.0?

What if I told you that GIMP has been undergoing refactoring one way
or another for at least 15 years?

What if I told you that we don't keep any of that a secret and
frequently write about it on the website as well as on Facebook and
Twitter?

I think this is a great learning opportunity to me personally because
clearly a number of people expect to be told about all that stuff on
some communication channel that we don't cover yet, and I would very
much like to know what that channel is :)

Re: Recommendation on GIMP

Users mailing list
On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 05:54:26PM +0300, Alexandre Prokoudine via gimp-user-list wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 4:07 PM yang junjie wrote:
[...]
> I think this is a great learning opportunity to me personally because
> clearly a number of people expect to be told about all that stuff on
> some communication channel that we don't cover yet, and I would very
> much like to know what that channel is :)

I guess: a non-English-speaking channel?

just my 2 euro cents:

what if the gimp.org site was translatable as it is done with the program
and the docs?

I would volunteer for the Italian translation, for a start ... ;-)

--

Saluton,
Marco Ciampa

Re: Recommendation on GIMP

Users mailing list
It is translatable though. Talk to Pat David :)

Alex

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 6:10 PM Marco Ciampa via gimp-user-list
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 05:54:26PM +0300, Alexandre Prokoudine via gimp-user-list wrote:
> > On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 4:07 PM yang junjie wrote:
> [...]
> > I think this is a great learning opportunity to me personally because
> > clearly a number of people expect to be told about all that stuff on
> > some communication channel that we don't cover yet, and I would very
> > much like to know what that channel is :)
>
> I guess: a non-English-speaking channel?
>
> just my 2 euro cents:
>
> what if the gimp.org site was translatable as it is done with the program
> and the docs?
>
> I would volunteer for the Italian translation, for a start ... ;-)
>
> --
>
> Saluton,
> Marco Ciampa

Re: Recommendation on GIMP

Kevin Cozens-2
On 2020-05-28 10:54 a.m., Alexandre Prokoudine via gimp-user-list wrote:
> What if I told you that we don't keep any of that a secret and
> frequently write about it on the website as well as on Facebook and
> Twitter?

I think you forgot to include the mailing list(s) as another source of the
information posted to the three locations you mention. I know I rarely look
at the website and I don't use Facebook or Twitter. The information should
be going out on the developer mailing list and occasionally on the user
list. Not all the (early) information would be of interest to the user
community at large.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                     | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick

Re: Recommendation on GIMP

Akkana Peck

Kevin Cozens writes:
> I think you forgot to include the mailing list(s) as another source of the
> information posted to the three locations you mention. I know I rarely look
> at the website and I don't use Facebook or Twitter. The information should
> be going out on the developer mailing list and occasionally on the user
> list.

That's a good point. I subscribe to the gimp.org RSS, so I see the
announcements of major releases and all the cool new features ...
and they always take me by surprise because I've usually not heard
about any of it, even though I read the developer mailing list and
am on IRC a lot too (but apparently not during hours when cool new
features are most often being discussed).

I'm definitely not criticizing: Alex does a great job of getting
the word out, and I do see the release announcements in RSS, on the
mailing list, and sometimes on Twitter. And I'd rather see developers
spending time working on cool new features than worrying about
writing posts describing what they're doing. Still, it would be
pretty great to hear a little on the mailing list about what's in
progress, if anyone has the time to do that ... and it might even
whip up enthusiasm from potential contributors (wow, they're working
on THAT now? That's a feature I really care about, maybe I can help!)

        ...Akkana

Re: Recommendation on GIMP

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 6:44 PM Kevin Cozens wrote:

> > What if I told you that we don't keep any of that a secret and
> > frequently write about it on the website as well as on Facebook and
> > Twitter?
>
> I think you forgot to include the mailing list(s) as another source of the
> information posted to the three locations you mention.

I didn't exactly forget this. The last time I asked, which was,
admittedly, a few years ago, each of the two popular mailing lists had
1K subscribers tops. That might sound like a lot but it really pales
by comparison to the reach we regularly get on social networks. For
the record, our top tweets within any single month regularly get ca.
35K impressions and we got 800+ new subscribers just in May (so far).
So it's more of a priority concern.

Besides, I tend to use rich media (screenshots, videos) to illustrate
new stuff. This does not play well with mailing lists at all.

That said, if you think list subscribers should be notified of new
changes and ongoing work, I'll definitely make a mental note of
sending text announcements to lists as well. That should not take long
at all.

> The information should
> be going out on the developer mailing list and occasionally on the user
> list. Not all the (early) information would be of interest to the user
> community at large.

I'm not sure I understand this. What information do you have in mind
for the developer mailing list?