Re: What would it take to add an option for the Pencil tool to support brush transparency? (James Houx)

Re: What would it take to add an option for the Pencil tool to support brush transparency? (James Houx)

Developers mailing list
Thanks Ell,

I tried the grid brush technique. While it works for making explicit
individual stamps, it does not work for holding the button down and
continuously painting. That makes it not an option for my needs: as I'd
have to click thousands of times, since I can't use the scatter settings
to have the brush do the work for me. Only adding transparency to the
pencil would fix the issue. :(

I found Paint.NET after some additional searching, and there are tons of
plugins for it on GitHub.  One of them is called Brush Factory and
claims to do RGB brush stamping technique.  I'll have to try it out and
see if it will do a hard stamp without sub pixel sampling.  But still
the plugin interface looks fairly clunky compared to just being able to
do it right in GIMP.

How difficult would it be to modify the pencil tool to support transparency?

- James

Re: What would it take to add an option for the Pencil tool to support brush transparency? (James Houx)

Simon Budig
James Houx via gimp-developer-list ([hidden email]) wrote:
> How difficult would it be to modify the pencil tool to support transparency?

the regular paintbrush and the pencil tool are both using the
gimppaintcore for painting the brushes. The difference between pencil
and paintbrush is controlled by the "brush mode" property of the paint
options. If it is == GIMP_BRUSH_HARD then the pencil behaviour is used.

In app/paint/gimpbrushcore.c this is used to request the "solidified"
variant of the brush, in app/paint/gimppaintcore.c it is used to round
the coordinates.

If you want to just change it in your personal copy without changes to
the UI it seems to be fairly trivial. If you want to offer a UI it might
be a bit trickier, but it should be doable.

Bye,
        Simon

--
              [hidden email]              http://simon.budig.de/