Re: No Lua or Python in Gimp 2.99 (Ofnuts)

Re: No Lua or Python in Gimp 2.99 (Ofnuts)

Developers mailing list
Try package lua-lgi

I think I had this same issue, and documented it at
https://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Hacking:Problems_and_solutions#luajit:_...mp.2F2.99.2Fplug-ins.2Fgoat-exercise-lua.2Fgoat-exercise-lua.lua:22:_module_.27lgi.27_not_found
:

Re: No Lua or Python in Gimp 2.99

Ofnuts-2
On 14/06/2020 20:20, Lloyd Konneker via gimp-developer-list wrote:
> Try package lua-lgi
>
> I think I had this same issue, and documented it at
> https://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Hacking:Problems_and_solutions#luajit:_...mp.2F2.99.2Fplug-ins.2Fgoat-exercise-lua.2Fgoat-exercise-lua.lua:22:_module_.27lgi.27_not_found

Ok, this fixes the lua part of the problem.

Then after that install I restarted Gimp, and Lua also had namespace
issues, but then looking closer I saw that JavaScript also had namespace
issues... But the Wiki page you pointed to had a similar question and
its answer helped me figure out that somehow the GI_TYPELIB_PATH wasn't
defined. After setting it to:

export
GI_TYPELIB_PATH="${GIMP_PREFIX}/lib/girepository-1.0:${GIMP_PREFIX}/lib/${arch}/girepository-1.0:$GI_TYPELIB_PATH"

... everything looks fine and dandy.

But this raises another question: I have three well-populated
"girepository-1.0" directories in /usr, how comes nothing seems to
define a GI_TYPELIB_PATH variable in the user environment?

Thanks to all.

Re: No Lua or Python in Gimp 2.99

Developers mailing list
I would hope that in the future the Gimp install would define that variable
in the environment of Gimp so that plugins spawned by Gimp would have the
same environment.  But since 2.99 is still in development, there is no
installer so you must temporarily do it yourself.

On 15/06/2020 23:25, Lloyd Konneker via gimp-developer-list wrote:
> I would hope that in the future the Gimp install would define that variable
> in the environment of Gimp so that plugins spawned by Gimp would have the
> same environment.  But since 2.99 is still in development, there is no
> installer so you must temporarily do it yourself.

When Gimp is installed as part of the system the typelibs are put in
directories that are already in the GI_TYPELIB_PATH (or in default
locations).

Re: No Lua or Python in Gimp 2.99

On my system, in my shell env,  GI_TYPELIB_PATH is not defined.  I suppose
you are suggesting the Gimp build (say make install)  should set or add to
that variable in my env, but I don't think it should change my .profile.

Maybe the problem is with PyGObject?  Are there standard locations (i.e.
paths) for .gir files?  Shouldn't PyGObject (and lua-lgi, etc.) be looking
there?  Maybe there is no such standard, and to use GI requires the
GI_TYPELIB_PATH variable in the environment.

I was trying to suggest that when Gimp starts it should augment
GI_TYPELIB_PATH in its own environment.  IOW a bug in Gimp.  I could be
wrong.