Re: Is a high bit depth monitor worth getting?

Re: Is a high bit depth monitor worth getting?

Helmut Jarausch
Hi,
>> I'm considering buying a new monitor (and graphics card) which supports
>> 10 bits per color channel.
>> Will Gimp on a Linux machine (X11) support this now or in the near future.
>> Or is it just waste of money to buy a monitor with more than 8 bits/color channel?

> GIMP is moving towards higher colour depth. Would a high bit depth monitor
> be worth it? That would depend on your use case(s). Is GIMP the only program
> you would run that would benefit from a high bit depth monitor? Do you run
> other programs that would benefit from such a monitor? Will your computers
> graphical environment (aka. desktop) support full use of a high bit depth
> monitor?

Currently, only Gimp and some other image viewing applications are my main
focus for such a monitor.

>From the hardware side I've an graphics card which does support 10 bits per
color channel. I've read that (only?) OpenGL will support this.
How does Gimp "send" the graphics data to the hardware?
Does it use "generel" X11-apis and does this support 10 bits per color channel?
Many thanks,
Helmut