Re: How to compile a vala GIMP plugin on Windows pc?

Re: How to compile a vala GIMP plugin on Windows pc?

Ruben Safir
We got it and heard you.  The easist way to do it is the use linux.

There might be someone who compiles on WIndows, but MS removed all the
compilers from its commericial OS and explaining how to install an
entire compiler and make environment on a stripped down commerical
windows box is a long and drawn out discussion.

Save yourself a life time of trouble and switch ovr the a GNU system now

On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 09:50:54PM -0800, Pen Guin via gimp-user-list wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have downloaded GIMP 2.99.4 on my Windows 8 pc.
>
> I want to compile the goat-exercise vala plugin shipped with GIMP.  Can
> anyone please tell me how can I compile a vala plugin on my pc? What other
> softwares AND/OR dependent-files do I need to download? What command and
> attributes do I need to pass to the vala compiler to get a working exe
> without any errors?
>
>  Thanks.

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.nylxs.com - Leadership Development in Free Software
http://www2.mrbrklyn.com/resources - Unpublished Archive
http://www.coinhangout.com - coins!
http://www.brooklyn-living.com

Re: How to compile a vala GIMP plugin on Windows pc?

Kevin Cozens-2
On 2021-01-03 3:36 p.m., Ruben Safir wrote:
[snip]
> Save yourself a life time of trouble and switch ovr the a GNU system now

[snip]
> On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 09:50:54PM -0800, Pen Guin via gimp-user-list wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have downloaded GIMP 2.99.4 on my Windows 8 pc.
[snip]
>> I want to compile the goat-exercise vala plugin shipped with GIMP.

If you can't or don't want to install an MS supplied toolchain I would
suggest looking in to installing MSYS and MinGW in order to get an
environment set up so code can be compiled. There are additional library
dependencies that will also need to be installed. It is isn't going to be
simple as there are a number of steps involved but I don't think it is that
bad overall. I have been able to set up an build environment on one of my
Windows based machines. I don't know how easily a non-programmer would be
able to get everything place to build GIMP and some of its dependencies.

IIRC, I documented the process I went through to set up MSYS/MinGW for
building code but that was long before the multiple programming language
support now required to build GIMP. I'll look for my old notes in case it
might help.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                     | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick

On Sun, Jan 03, 2021 at 05:36:40PM -0500, Kevin Cozens wrote:

> On 2021-01-03 3:36 p.m., Ruben Safir wrote:
> [snip]
> >Save yourself a life time of trouble and switch ovr the a GNU system now
> >
> [snip]
> >On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 09:50:54PM -0800, Pen Guin via gimp-user-list wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I have downloaded GIMP 2.99.4 on my Windows 8 pc.
> [snip]
> >>I want to compile the goat-exercise vala plugin shipped with GIMP.
>
> If you can't or don't want to install an MS supplied toolchain I
> would suggest looking in to installing MSYS and MinGW

Or they can just install a free OS and save hours of time and years of
fustration