RAW data enquiry

Tyler Prior
Hello,

My name is Tyler Prior. I’m a digital artist focusing on the dualities of data and the links that can be drawn from them on both personal and socio-political topics.

I’m trying to write a programme where I can show the live changes of RAW data when it is simultaneously experienced as both .wav and .raw (a methodically similar example would be data-bending). However, I can’t find a way to interpret RAW data as an image the same way in which both GIMP and Photoshop does (open -> raw image data -> set pixel dimensions - see example).

I'm interested in this function in particular: `raw_load_gray()` that parses RAW 8 bit data https://github.com/GNOME/gimp/blob/e09e563a70fef5d7dd55e5e8d0e280348f1ef9d4/plug-ins/common/file-raw-data.c#L855 do you have comment or eresources for the thinking behind the function?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best,

Tyler
Where this email is unrelated to the business of University of the Arts London the opinions expressed in it are the opinions of the sender and do not necessarily constitute those of University of the Arts London.

Re: RAW data enquiry

Øyvind Kolås-2
On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 3:05 PM Tyler Prior <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My name is Tyler Prior. I’m a digital artist focusing on the dualities of data and the links that can be drawn from them on both personal and socio-political topics.
>
> I’m trying to write a programme where I can show the live changes of RAW data when it is simultaneously experienced as both .wav and .raw (a methodically similar example would be data-bending). However, I can’t find a way to interpret RAW data as an image the same way in which both GIMP and Photoshop does (open -> raw image data -> set pixel dimensions - see example).
>
> I'm interested in this function in particular: `raw_load_gray()` that parses RAW 8 bit data https://github.com/GNOME/gimp/blob/e09e563a70fef5d7dd55e5e8d0e280348f1ef9d4/plug-ins/common/file-raw-data.c#L855 do you have comment or eresources for the thinking behind the function?
>
> I look forward to hearing from you.

Not replying to your question; since I do not know these parts of the
GIMP code, but you might have fun experimenting with an expriment by
Amir Hassan, soundfumble. where you can start out with images/photos
used as "glitch" audio, that gets filtered and manipulated live in
GIMP. You might have to use an older version of GIMP to make it work.

Some links:

http://log.metalab.at/post/257272092/Live-sound-generation-with-Gimp-http-github
https://github.com/kallaballa/SoundFumble

/pippin