Question to the Gradient tool

Users mailing list
Hello Gimp fellows,
a few days ago I was working on an simple image of just two layers. I
wanted an overblend effect so one layer fades into the other.
I thought the gradient tool would be the perfect solution for this
task but all I did found was the "FG to Transparent" gradient.
Is there any way to do this quickly without going the long way of
creating a layer mask?
Best wishes,Sascha Zosgornik

Re: Question to the Gradient tool

Liam R E Quin
On Wed, 2020-04-01 at 04:22 +0200, Sascha Zosgornik via gimp-user-list
wrote:

> Is there any way to do this quickly without going the long way of
> creating a layer mask?

The upper layer must have an alpha channel (transparency).

Use rectangle select, feather the selection a lot (e.g. 500 pixels),
cut.

But the layer mask way is better because you can go back and change it.

ankh

Full-time slave in voluntary servitude.

Re: Question to the Gradient tool

Ofnuts-2
On 01/04/2020 06:00, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-04-01 at 04:22 +0200, Sascha Zosgornik via gimp-user-list
> wrote:
>> Is there any way to do this quickly without going the long way of
>> creating a layer mask?
> The upper layer must have an alpha channel (transparency).
>
> Use rectangle select, feather the selection a lot (e.g. 500 pixels),
> cut.

You can so the same with a gradient on the Quickmask. But then t gets
pretty close to using a layer mask

> But the layer mask way is better because you can go back and change it.
>
> ankh

Re: Question to the Gradient tool

It would of course be nice, to have an "Alpha to Transparent" option
directly inside the gradient tool. But quick-mask should seems to be
the best solution without this.