Q's & Help from you all for me (Pat Hammons)

Q's & Help from you all for me (Pat Hammons)

Patricia Hammons
Hello, my name is Pat Hammons & I live in Louisville, KY. I am a senior grad
student & senior (age 61) at U of L. I have been working on a 1-year grad
project that will become due at the end of April or 1st of May, that has
been extended into this year also. I started this project last year & my
class is an IS/RP (Independent Study/Research Project) so I am working on
this solo project myself & check in with my teacher either by phone, 1
monthly on-campus meeting or SKYPE.

My project is all the Homicides & Shootings that have happened in Chicago,
IL., that seen over 750+ Homicides & over 4000 Shootings last year alone.
What I am doing for a project is a massive Power-Point presentation that the
minimum is 50 slides & Max is 80 slides & will be presenting it to 2
classes, 1 undergrad & 1 grad class, plus getting a final grade.

I have amassed a lot of photos on either Homicides or Shootings in the last
year by using 2 main sources: CT-Chicago Tribune or CST-Chicago Sun Times
that I receive online thru their e-newspaper each day thru my e-mail. I also
have been following both of their web pages for Homicides & Shootings where
they will track this by numbers & where I can tap onto it that talks about a
specific story.

What I have done is saved many of these images by doing a "Save Picture As"
under such things as: Crime Scenes, Homicides, Shootings, etc., and want to
incorporate them into my PP under different titles for each category(ies).
So at school, U of L, one of the people I talk to on a regular basis asked
me if I had Photoshop - I do not. So then they said, well you can "download"
GIMP & I had no clue what they were talking about. Since I sometimes get a
discount on software, I had to have them tell me a little bit about it. So
now I'm turning to you all for a better understanding of GIMP & if you think
I can use it at all for my grad school PP presentation I am getting ready to
start putting together.

What I do have that may be similar to this is for my camera using EasyShare
Software when I download my pictures that I can resize, crop, red-eye out,
etc. **But I do have to advise you of a medical condition I have that may
help you to understand why I need some extra help. As I said, I am 61,
senior grad student - but I also have MD-D which is Macular
Degeneration-Dry, which is an inherited eye disease I got diagnosed with
2.5-3 years ago. My mother had it for the last 15 years of her life & she
died in 2012 at age 95. They thought I had beaten the odds on not getting it
& it was misdiagnosed as being part of my migraines I have had since my
early 20's. Come to find out it was not & that is why I was having trouble
reading my textbooks or taking tests, I could & cannot see stuff clearly
anymore. My mother had the "wet" version & never "dry" and she went Legally
Blind, which what I have is 1 step below going Legally Blind. So I am taking
(4) horse pills a day & (2) Fish Oil pills trying to save my sight & going
to the eye doctor every 6 months. I have to read my textbooks now as a PDF.
So everything in my life has changed & I need to see if your program would
be worth download & will I be able to learn it & see if big enough?

I know this is a lot to unload on you guys here, but school suggested it
thru my counselor at the DRC-Disability Resource Center that helps me with a
lot of my schoolwork on getting things like my textbooks (now PDF's) or
taking tests to where say a 30-minute test online for me is extended to
1-hour because it takes me long to read the Q. I don't get extra help on
tests, I just get extra time, since I either know it or I don't kind of
thing.

So in closing, if you can please get back with me, I would deeply appreciate
it very much. I have a lot of ideas in my head on how I want to do this
massive project, but I want to make things "pop" in a way so that the class
is not bored looking at all numbers & spice it up a bit using extra stuff if
I can or like using animation icons, etc., but all dealing with police
themes that use Arrests, Homicides(chalk outline, crime scene tape),
Shootings (guns, etc.) and stuff like this. So I know it is a challenge but
I just need some extra help.  **I have Windows7 on my laptop which is an HP
Pavilion G7-2017 Notebook PC if this helps you in any way. Otherwise, I
don't know what else to do to maybe help me & someone suggested that I
download your program. So I thank you in advance & hope that you can help me
in some way. Thanks, Pat Hammons.

Re: Q's & Help from you all for me (Pat Hammons)

Steve Kinney

On 02/21/2017 07:03 PM, Patricia Hammons wrote:

[...]

> What I do have that may be similar to this is for my camera using EasyShare
> Software when I download my pictures that I can resize, crop, red-eye out,
> etc. **But I do have to advise you of a medical condition I have that may
> help you to understand why I need some extra help. As I said, I am 61,
> senior grad student - but I also have MD-D which is Macular
> Degeneration-Dry, which is an inherited eye disease I got diagnosed with
> 2.5-3 years ago. My mother had it for the last 15 years of her life & she
> died in 2012 at age 95. They thought I had beaten the odds on not getting it
> & it was misdiagnosed as being part of my migraines I have had since my
> early 20's. Come to find out it was not & that is why I was having trouble
> reading my textbooks or taking tests, I could & cannot see stuff clearly
> anymore. My mother had the "wet" version & never "dry" and she went Legally
> Blind, which what I have is 1 step below going Legally Blind. So I am taking
> (4) horse pills a day & (2) Fish Oil pills trying to save my sight & going
> to the eye doctor every 6 months. I have to read my textbooks now as a PDF.
> So everything in my life has changed & I need to see if your program would
> be worth download & will I be able to learn it & see if big enough?

[...]

Hi Particia,

The first thing I would suggest is, get a larger monitor.  The biggest
one you can afford - and if price is a problem, scout around for used
ones.  You can plug a monitor right into your laptop, tweak the
resolution and viola:  World of problems solved, across /all/ the things
you use a computer for.  This is especially important for photo editing,
since you need to be able to see the "big picture" as well as details as
clearly as possible.  You will also want both your image /and/ the
GIMP's toolbox on the screen at the same time.

The GIMP itself is here:  https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

It's Free Software, no fees, no ads, no BS.

You can also install a GIMP theme with larger than normal icons; giving
up a little screen space for easier to find buttons sounds like a good
trade off in your situation:

http://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-GIMP-2-8-Large-size-Icons-Themes

Other than that, I suggest the "usual stuff" for beginners:

* There are a LOT of good tutorials on the Interent for doing specific
tasks in the GIMP - seek and ye shall find.

* Don't neglect to search YouTube for tutorials on how to do things in
the GIMP - there are a LOT of them, they vary in quality but the better
ones are excellent.

* When you get stuck, ask here.  The Gimp-user list is the closest thing
to a help desk we have.

I have a tutorial up that you might find useful now /and/ later, as it
briefly covers a lot of concepts about setting up the GIMP, "tricky new
ideas" like the difference between "saving" and "exporting" a file, what
layers and masks are, some custom setup ideas that you might find useful
/after/ you have the very very basics under control, and links to other
resources.

http://pilobilus.net/gimp_tutorial.html

The GIMP is a /huge/ tool that does /tons/ of things.  The good news is,
you don't need to understand more than maybe 5% of those things to get
it to do everything you need for your project.  Don't let it overwhelm
you; DO play with it just to see what this or that thingy is/does/means etc.

:o)

Steve